Sanjay Lal hype is getting out of control

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Your argument would be valid if he had one or two subpar seasons. The majority of his career— his WR units have placed in the bottom 5 teams in the NFL.

Hard to write that off as coincidence or dismiss it entirely as the fault of some other aspect of the offense.
No, not really. It’s just the easy way.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He's been coaching in the league for nearly a decade, and has bounced around every couple years. He's now on his 5th team. Let's see what kind of production he's had in the NFL.

Team Receiving Rank By Year

2017 - 30th
2016 - 31st
2015 - 29th
2014 - 32nd
2013 - 30th
2012 - 30th
2011 - 11th
2010 - 22nd
2009 - 29th

As you can see, his groups have produced near bottom, or rock bottom production in receiving yardage. As far as I can tell, he's never produced a 1000 yard receiver in his career, although I didn't take the time to research this fully.

To be fair, he has been in some bad places, with lackluster QB play, but looking at his body of work, it is hard to get excited about what he has done. When looking at the talent on this roster, it is hard to get excited about the prospects of him coaching them up.

I was not a Derek Dooley fan by any means, but to think an NFL position coach doesn't teach technique is asinine. Under Dooley's watch, Dez, Williams, and Beasley all put up career numbers.

I think it was time for Dooley to go, but the Sanjay Lal hype is unwarranted and frankly, he is going to disappoint a lot of people.

I completely agree and the impact a WR coach can have anyways is minimal.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
You’re not a big fan of facts are you?
These facts that don’t really mean anything? No, not a big fan. I’m willing to give him a year or so to find out if he’s any good. People like you that think he already sucks are just trouble makers.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I agree with the OP quite a bit, but I don't think you can really look at receiving yards and equate that to the quality of the coach. There are just entirely too many variables, some of which you brought up.

It's like the fallacy of putting wins and losses on a quarterback. I would hazard it is even worse actually. So much goes into receiving yards. On top of QB play there is offensive line play, WR talent, offensive ideology, defensive strength, division. Regarding his moving around quite a bit, how many of the jobs fired him versus there being a regime change? Dennis Allen came in and presumably brought in a new coaching staff with him when he came to Oakland. Same with Todd Bowles with the Jets. Though Red Ryan brought him to Buffalo before being fired again. Same situation with the Colts.

How did those teams invest in the wide receiver position? Something that is much more important than the WR coach.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
First off, a receivers coach can only coach. He can't produce on the field as well. Second, he's a young coach. Who's to say he isn't A better coach now than what he was earlier in his career? Bill Bellicheat wasn't who he is today when he was with the Browns.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's been coaching in the league for nearly a decade, and has bounced around every couple years. He's now on his 5th team. Let's see what kind of production he's had in the NFL.

Team Receiving Rank By Year

2017 - 30th
2016 - 31st
2015 - 29th
2014 - 32nd
2013 - 30th
2012 - 30th
2011 - 11th
2010 - 22nd
2009 - 29th

As you can see, his groups have produced near bottom, or rock bottom production in receiving yardage. As far as I can tell, he's never produced a 1000 yard receiver in his career, although I didn't take the time to research this fully.

To be fair, he has been in some bad places, with lackluster QB play, but looking at his body of work, it is hard to get excited about what he has done. When looking at the talent on this roster, it is hard to get excited about the prospects of him coaching them up.

I was not a Derek Dooley fan by any means, but to think an NFL position coach doesn't teach technique is asinine. Under Dooley's watch, Dez, Williams, and Beasley all put up career numbers.

I think it was time for Dooley to go, but the Sanjay Lal hype is unwarranted and frankly, he is going to disappoint a lot of people.

If you can't see that pairing a journeyman at best position coach with an embarrassing WR corp is going to pay big dividends then you're just an unreasonable hater who needs to be banned from here.

Cowboys! in your face.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Culture has to change from the top, and we know that isn't happening.

"
The Cowboys will focus on a receiver-by-committee, stressing fundamentals under new coach Sanjay Lal. The group drew the ire of coach Jason Garrett on Thursday for focusing too much on technique and not running fluidly.

“I know we are counting steps but we have to ... run,” Garrett barked. The Cowboys used a lot of different receiver groups with quarterback Dak Prescott, including undersized receivers Tavon Austin and Cole Beasley working at times with the first team with Allen Hurns. Cowboys offensive coordinator Scott Linehan said all the receivers can run routes from different spots, which should make the offense more versatile and unpredictable. As long as they are running and not counting steps."

Garrett is a joke...

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
If you can't see that pairing a journeyman at best position coach with an embarrassing WR corp is going to pay big dividends then you're just an unreasonable hater who needs to be banned from here.

Cowboys! in your face.
Dak hater speaks.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
First off, a receivers coach can only coach. He can't produce on the field as well. Second, he's a young coach. Who's to say he isn't A better coach now than what he was earlier in his career? Bill Bellicheat wasn't who he is today when he was with the Browns.

He isn't a young coach. He is only 3 years younger than Jason Garrett. He's a year younger than Dooley.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
These facts that don’t really mean anything? No, not a big fan. I’m willing to give him a year or so to find out if he’s any good. People like you that think he already sucks are just trouble makers.

I am not saying he sucks. He might be a good fit. Dooley had to go. People who are hyping him up as some sort of guru and think he is going to create "gold out of lead" by having guys count steps they are taking are fooling themselves.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Well, his son just spent a bunch of time with Brady filming Tom vs Time, so maybe he picked up some pointers?

Oh, this isn't Sanjay Gupta, world-renewed guru and doctor™ we're talking about?

In all seriousness, Rob Ryan gushes over the dude, so take that for what it's worth.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
As a fan I enjoy the hype and the positive outlook of things to come:)
As a fan I also enjoy the hype and the positive outlook of the up coming season, BUT every year, this team is hyped to the extreme and everyone is positive about everything the team did in the off season. The flaws are over looked, see Garrett, or even hyped, see DT. Then by the end of most seasons, over the past 22 years, we are left frustrated and disappointed. I will enjoy the hype, but also realize we have ?’s at many positions( S, TE, DT, G, LB, and WR) that need to turn out positive. We also, still have Garrett as our HC. He needs to improve as much as any position group. Enjoy the hype and positive outlook, but be realistic, other wise the fall at the end of the season is down right depressing.