Twitter: SAS: Dak Prescott should be making at least $25M

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
In my Dak's agent voice.....Jimmy can't hold Dak's jock strap!

So how much money are you looking to sign him for? If you’re looking for more than 30M per season it’s not happening.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
So how much money are you looking to sign him for? If you’re looking for more than 30M per season it’s not happening.
I dont care how much Dak makes (In my Tank voice - thats SJ's job to make that work).....however I am just using my common sense in comparison to the scrubs that have not accomplished half of what Dak the money that they are making. Easily Daks agent could make a case for 30 mil or more.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I dont care how much Dak makes (In my Tank voice - thats SJ's job to make that work).....however I am just using my common sense in comparison to the scrubs that have not accomplished half of what Dak the money that they are making. Easily Daks agent could make a case for 30 mil or more.

I wouldn’t be calling Jimmy G a scrub. He won five straight games with San Francisco in 2017 when he just arrived there. He completely turned that team around. It’s too early to say what he is or isn’t but he’s certainly not a scrub.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I wouldn’t be calling Jimmy G a scrub. He won five straight games with San Francisco in 2017 when he just arrived there. He completely turned that team around. It’s too early to say what he is or isn’t but he’s certainly not a scrub.Mini on this board would’ve rather had Tyrod Taylor than Dak. Everyone has an opinion.

Indeed. That and the recent deal for Seattle is why I think the 49ers will get a wildcard this year. Oh, and their backup QB Nick Mullens is quite good too. I said on my prediction that I think our first opponent in the playoffs (in the divisional round as I predicted a 1 seed) will be the 49ers in a reigniting of an old playoff rivalry.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Only if you learn what a "top of the market" contract even is in the first place.

It's not $20m/year. It's not $25m. It's not even $30m. Top of the market now is $35m/year.

The middle of the starting QB market is $27-28 million/year now. Kirk "0-1 in the playoffs" Cousins, Jimmy "hasn't even played a full NFL season yet" Garoppolo and Matthew "0-3 in the playoffs" Stafford are all in that range.

Dak getting like $28m/year isn't paying him "near top of the market qb" money, it's paying him middle of the pack money.
This is like pretending Rodgers isn't getting paid top qb money because he doesn't have the highest APY anymore. Let's not debate semantics.

And when is 28MM middle of the pack money? Alex Smith signed a contract in 2018 for 4 years 94MM. That's 23.5MM APY.

Kirk Cousins signed a landmark fully guaranteed contract for 3 years 88MM. That's 28MM APY but 100% gtd.

In fact the freaking franchise tag (top 5 salary) is 25MM (pre Wilson).

No matter how you look at it 28MM isn't middle of the road money.

You're entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Last edited:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As a cowboy fan, I hope we get him as cheaply as possible. Some of you act as though Dak is going to cut you in on his next contract. Why the heck would any cowboy fan root for a player to get a huge contract? Baffling. I understand SAS. He wants Dak to get 25+ b/c he hates the cowboys and he knows such a contract is going to hamstring us. The more money Dak gets, the less we have to sign other guys.

Flamma

Reaction score
His market will be between $28-30. Whether people like it or not the QB market will continue to rise, this isn't unique to Dak or the Cowboys and every team will be facing this situation as their QBs become due for new contracts or extensions.

Ok but who is in the market for a starting QB? Someone has to want to pay him that money if we don't. I'll ask again, who? Dolphins, Broncos, Bengals? How many of them will get QBs in the draft? Honest question, if you were the GM of any of those teams, would you sign Prescott to a 25M a year deal?

The market can be what it is, but you still need the demand. What teams are in the market for a starting QB?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ok but who is in the market for a starting QB? Someone has to want to pay him that money if we don't. I'll ask again, who? Dolphins, Broncos, Bengals? How many of them will get QBs in the draft? Honest question, if you were the GM of any of those teams, would you sign Prescott to a 25M a year deal?

The market can be what it is, but you still need the demand. What teams are in the market for a starting QB?

Good points. Dak's best year is still his rookie season when nobody knew who he was or how to defend him. IMO, we should make him prove it this year. He'll have his center back and weapons around him that would make any QB envious. If he proves he can consistently make teams pay for loading up against Zeke AND leads the team to more playoff success, he would prove his worth. I have never understood what the hurry is to sign the guy, particularly if he's asking for Russel Wilson money.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
I wouldn’t be calling Jimmy G a scrub. He won five straight games with San Francisco in 2017 when he just arrived there. He completely turned that team around. It’s too early to say what he is or isn’t but he’s certainly not a scrub.
Thats cute...Jimmy won 5 straight games when he got to San Fran. Dak goes 13-3 and retires Tony Romo when he just arrived in Dallas. In my Daks agent voice....Child Please

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I think they should bring in all the other nfl quarterbacks and former quarterbacks and put him in a throwing challenge. Then pay him where he ends up. So far he hasn't beaten anyone in a throwing contest.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score

The level to which you guys are obsessed with the "yearly average" figure is funny, like either the team or player care about that number.

The numbers that matter far more are guaranteed (to the player) and cap hit (to the team), and those numbers are a little harder to wildly speculate on and call people idiots when they disagree, so I get it.

The Jags are paying Nick Foles $30m in cash this year, that's money in his pocket, yet his cap hit is only $12m which is manageable for a starting QB.

Yes, a team would sign Dak for "$25m as year deal", but that number doesn't matter because he'd likely pocket more than 25m in the first year, his cap hit would be much lower than 25m, and if it went badly, he'd never see the total contract figure.

All this argument is pointless. The money isn't coming out of our pockets and the only thing any of us should care about is how it impacts the cap. Will it stop us from acquiring talent (unlikely since we don't like to play in FA) or keeping talent that we can't replace (possibly, considering the guys coming up).

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
****, if Stephen A gets 12 mil a year winning no games and throwing no touchdowns, daks easily worth 40.

sean10mm

Reaction score
You're entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

What you don't seem to grasp is the observable FACT that quarterback contracts are a moving target, and the movement is UP. Rodgers contract was top money when he signed it, in the past, but is no longer top money in the present now that Wilson got more than that, and Wilson's contract probably won't be top money in the future, either. Kirk Cousins wouldn't have gotten $28 million/year in 2015 for being a mid-pack starter, but he did in 2018.

WHAT'S NORMAL IS CHANGING OVER TIME.

This are objective facts, we can look at the numbers and see them get bigger over time. I can't put the idea any more simply than that. This is like elementary school stuff, how is it confusing you?

Or are you arguing that Kirk Cousins is an elite QB, and that's how he got $28m/year guaranteed? Because if you really think that LMAO

Flamma

Reaction score
The level to which you guys are obsessed with the "yearly average" figure is funny, like either the team or player care about that number.

The numbers that matter far more are guaranteed (to the player) and cap hit (to the team), and those numbers are a little harder to wildly speculate on and call people idiots when they disagree, so I get it.

The Jags are paying Nick Foles $30m in cash this year, that's money in his pocket, yet his cap hit is only $12m which is manageable for a starting QB.

Yes, a team would sign Dak for "$25m as year deal", but that number doesn't matter because he'd likely pocket more than 25m in the first year, his cap hit would be much lower than 25m, and if it went badly, he'd never see the total contract figure.

All this argument is pointless. The money isn't coming out of our pockets and the only thing any of us should care about is how it impacts the cap. Will it stop us from acquiring talent (unlikely since we don't like to play in FA) or keeping talent that we can't replace (possibly, considering the guys coming up).

I agree with every word you said in this. I'm just using that number as a point of reference. I'm all over Spotrac, I see how this stuff works. I'm just already assuming he's going to get a lot of guaranteed money. That could keep him here for more than half of his contract even if things didn't work out. The cap hit is my only concern. I also realize the first year won't be that bad of a cap hit.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Thats cute...Jimmy won 5 straight games when he got to San Fran. Dak goes 13-3 and retires Tony Romo when he just arrived in Dallas. In my Daks agent voice....Child Please

You sound like Chad Johnson. Dak’s lucky you’re not his agent.

nobody

Reaction score
Good points. Dak's best year is still his rookie season when nobody knew who he was or how to defend him. IMO, we should make him prove it this year. He'll have his center back and weapons around him that would make any QB envious. If he proves he can consistently make teams pay for loading up against Zeke AND leads the team to more playoff success, he would prove his worth. I have never understood what the hurry is to sign the guy, particularly if he's asking for Russel Wilson money.

I agree that we should make him prove it. But I also think that he's capable of proving it. He has things to work on this off-season as well as dealing with the new OC, good or bad. I think he'll be alright. That being said, I acknowledge that he needs to prove it for a super high pay day. It's not personal. It's the large percentage of the cap that it'll take up. I know it's the going rate for QB's right now, but you have to be SURE.