Sayings You Were Raised Around

kskboys

Reaction score
That is the fault of the school systems and they've created that environment which for a lot of caring devoted teachers, puts them at risk. Hell, then they kick them out and they return with weapons.

I know it's a problem but that is more of a symptom, our society, in general, is the cause. We emphasize the wrong things.
It's a lot deeper than that, and when corporal punishment was taken out of the schools, extreme lack of discipline resulted. Basically, the educational system is having major issues teaching anything due to teachers having no power to discipline.

I don't like corporal punishment, but honestly, what is the answer? Corners, timeouts, detention, none of that is working.

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
But I imagine you also interacting with your stepson to show him you cared for him as well.

Man, and I don't lay that all on my old man, I was a prime button pusher. I would not have wanted me as a kid. Not sure I would want me as an adult.
Absolutely. People should have to apply to be parents!!!!!!

One of the problems is that each kid is different. One kid you can control w/ a look, but another might have to be whipped just to get his attention. It is quite simply a problem that cannot be addressed w/ a catchall solution. Which is what they're trying to do at present to the detriment of all the kids.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
I think 3 sheets to the wind is a sailing reference. If you've got three sheets/sails up your running full steam or hell bent for leather or full bore or pedal to the metal.
*it really means yer' so blotto bombed that yer' stumbling drunk like the wind done took 3 sheets off the clothesline & scattered them all across the back 40 in seconds flat*

kskboys

Reaction score
Here's a personal one that my Dad drove us batty w/: "Fair's not til August".

The county fair in Gillespie is in August, so when we would tell my Dad something wasn't fair, "Fair's in August".

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
*it really means yer' so blotto bombed that yer' stumbling drunk like the wind done took 3 sheets off the clothesline & scattered them all across the back 40 in seconds flat*
That's where my head was too but I like Vtwin's explanation better. it's classier and nautical! Drinking and pirating go hand in hand. I'd rather picture Jack Sparrow drunk on a ship than in his backyard trying to catch runaway sheets.

kskboys

Reaction score
That's where my head was too but I like Vtwin's explanation better. it's classier and nautical! Drinking and pirating go hand in hand. I'd rather picture Jack Sparrow drunk on a ship than in his backyard trying to catch runaway sheets.
Hey, what's wrong w/ that, that's what I'm doing all the time....wait....Oh, you said sheet.....

Xelda

Reaction score
Absolutely. People should have to apply to be parents!!!!!!

One of the problems is that each kid is different. One kid you can control w/ a look, but another might have to be whipped just to get his attention. It is quite simply a problem that cannot be addressed w/ a catchall solution. Which is what they're trying to do at present to the detriment of all the kids.
My parents would look at my sister and she'd take off bawling her eyes out. My brother and I had the audacity to stand there in defiance as the charges were brought against us.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Drunker 'n a skunk
That one is a real puzzler, it is because it rhymes? Why not drunker than a sloth? Ever watched them closely? You will have to watch closely to see them move. Haven't you ever been like that? I have. So drunk that if you don't move, they can't see you. And I am talking back in the day here, before I matured and mellowed.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
It depends on your age because these began to die off but they were prevalent when I was growing up. The origins were unclear and you had to guess as to the meaning when you first heard them as a kid. Especially when the saying was being used on yourself.

Don't give me all that "who shot John". This was one of the more puzzling but you know it meant get to the point, the facts mam, just the facts. But why John? Because that was a common name and they already knew who shot Abe?

She'll tell you "how the cow ate the cabbage". Took me a while to figure out this meant not necessarily being tactful.

I didn't "just fall off the turnip truck, ya know". Why turnips, do really stupid people grow turnips? Or are they not allowed in town much? Weren't there more mainstream vegetables back then like potatoes and corn? Or was it illegal for people to actually ride on top of the potatoes and corn but turnips were OK?

My Dad's favorite whenever I used the word "if". "If a bullfrog had a shotgun up his butt, he wouldn't be afraid of snakes". This one really puzzled me until I figured out the shotgun would be pointing out because the snake could just slither up and pull the trigger with it's tongue. His was a lot more visual and fun to think of than cows eating cabbage, people falling off trucks or wondering about just who did shoot John.

My Mom had two favorites that she used on me often, one of which really made no sense. The first was "you'd argue with a signpost". This was my early preparation for being on DC forums. Underlying meaning "YOU ARE WRONG, NOW SHUT UP"!!!!

But the one that really made no sense and seemed to be her favorite was "you'd complain if you were hung with a new rope". A, don't think I would be complaining about much of anything and B, I would have preferred an old rope, a very, very old rope. But I am figuring if I am being hung, being a complainer was a minor offense.

I heard all of these, except my Dad's, from my grandmothers as well so I know they were passed down but from whence they came is a mystery.

What sayings were around when you were a kid?

,,,er,,, yer' thinking of
" who shot J.R " AS that old crow of a sayin' is " who hit john" & the origins more than likely go back to a few 'good ol' boys' who are all friends, each affable enough till they get liquored up and end up in a knockdown donnybrook,,,, and limping& hurting the next day are trying to figure out just what the hell started all that ,anyway?

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
"Just wait until your dad gets home!" is all I needed to hear. Was spanked(paddle or belt) quite a few times but it never went overboard. Later in life, dad told me that he hated doing it but it was for my own good......I was a trouble maker.

I got paddled in school at least twice a week, mostly from coaches who taught classes as well. One funny story.........

I was in 9th grade and one of my varsity baseball coaches taught some typewriting class. At test time, he made us use a #2 pencil, not mechanical. If you forgot one, you had to give him a quarter then return it. Well, he was all over me in practices throughout the season and he was on my hit list.

It was time to take another test and I "forgot" my pencil again. I gave him 5 nickels and got my pencil. After I finished my test, I pulled the eraser out, bent the metal casing and sharpened it down to the nub. I gave it back to him and man was he pissed.

He turned dark red and I could see smoke coming. He calmy told everyone to go out into the hall but me. As the class watched through the skinny window in the door, coach shoved desks around and had me cornered in the room. He was cussing and screaming stuff about his pencil :lmao:

He got so mad, he actually threw a desk at me but luckily I ducked in time. After that, I think he realized that he screwed up and let me go. I could see that he was worried about losing his job and I said not to worry, I won't tell on you. No one in my class said anything either but it was the talk of the school for a couple of years.

All this over a darn yellow pencil :facepalm:

Anyways, about ten years later, I found out he got fired for sleeping with a cheerleader shortly after I left HS.