SC Pass Defenses

skinsngibbs4life

Reaction score
I have not seen many Rams games over the past couple of years, so I can't really give a good assessment of Archuleta. The only thing that I do know about him is that he has a good work ethic. I have heard that he is bad in coverage, and that is yet to be seen.

I do think, along with many skins fans, that our ranking was high. Most people on ES had us ranked around the 10 mark. I think that a lot of the reason why we are ranked so high is the reputation that greg williams has. His status in the NFL is probably why the skins got pushed up so far.

skinsfunguy

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
Adam Archuleta is the worst starting coverage safety in football. Even Commanders fans dont argue against this. He makes Roy Williams look like Ronnie Lott.

Sean Taylor looks for the big hit too often and gets burned, especially against Dallas.

Carlos Rogers was nicknamed "Toast" by his own media outlet

Shawn Springs is the only good coverage player in the secondary

1.) Adam Archuletta may not be GREAT in pass coverage but some of you overestimate how bad he really is. He is a lot faster than your boy RW

2.) This is just untrue. Aside from the flea flicker in Taylors rookie season, go ahead and name one time Taylor has been burned deep by the Cowboys. Sean Taylor, unlike Roy Williams is known for his coverage abilities, not his ability to get beat.

3.) Did you ever watch Carlos Rogers? He was clearly the best rookie corner in the league. And thats what he was, a very good ROOKIE cb. He was not GREAT, but what rookie CB is? Remember when Terrance Newman was a rookie? I'm sure you guys would have killed for Newman to have a rookie season like Rogers'.

4.) At least you have some sense.

There you go, my dispute to your claims.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
skinsfunguy said:
You may be the biggest homer ever.

All I know is that if the Skins are number 2 with their lineup, then we are top 5 with ours. This article is B.S! But yet again this is America were we can voice our opinions and DREAMS.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
skinsfunguy said:
I'm sure you guys would have killed for Newman to have a rookie season like Rogers'.
Tackles:

Rogers 44 + 4 = 48
Newman 66 + 10 = 76

Sacks

Rogers 0
Newman 1

Ints:

Rogers 2
Newman 4

Looks to me like Newman pretty much beat your guy across the board. That is my dispute to your claim. Bottom line...

TNew > Rogers

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
skinsfunguy said:
1.) Adam Archuletta may not be GREAT in pass coverage but some of you overestimate how bad he really is. He is a lot faster than your boy RW

Archuleta runs a 4.42, Roy runs 4.51. That's hardly "a lot" by any standard.

BTW, have you ever wandered WHY the Rams let him go? Could it be because he was the leading cause of their 23rd ranked pass defense?

2.) This is just untrue. Aside from the flea flicker in Taylors rookie season, go ahead and name one time Taylor has been burned deep by the Cowboys. Sean Taylor, unlike Roy Williams is known for his coverage abilities, not his ability to get beat.

Oh, but it is. I give you visual evidence of it's unclouded truth:

12-27-2004.ns_27CowboysTDCrayton.GEK1GSE5L.1.jpg

redbig.jpg

That's two massive blown coverages in 2 games out of 4 against Dallas. For those that arent math majors, that's 50% of the time. Not good

BTW, the flea flicker was last year, not Taylor's rookie season. Also, as you can see, Crayton beat him badly with 20 seconds left to win the game. Your post has little credability left after that display.

This, of course, is not counting the TWO TD's Taylor gave up to rookie Reggie Brown last season

3.) Did you ever watch Carlos Rogers? He was clearly the best rookie corner in the league. And thats what he was, a very good ROOKIE cb. He was not GREAT, but what rookie CB is? Remember when Terrance Newman was a rookie? I'm sure you guys would have killed for Newman to have a rookie season like Rogers'.

That's not saying much.

I do remember Terence Newman's rookie year, a year in which he had more INTs, tackles, and passes defensed than Rogers while giving up fewer yards and TDs.

4.) At least you have some sense.

Too bad I can't say the same for you

There you go, my dispute to your claims.

:laugh2:

Anything else?

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
Tackles:

Rogers 44 + 4 = 48
Newman 66 + 10 = 76

Sacks

Rogers 0
Newman 1

Ints:

Rogers 2
Newman 4

Looks to me like Newman pretty much beat your guy across the board. That is my dispute to your claim. Bottom line...

TNew > Rogers

I almost feel bad for slapping him around like that....

Almost ;)

skinsfunguy

Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
Tackles:

Rogers 44 + 4 = 48
Newman 66 + 10 = 76

Sacks

Rogers 0
Newman 1

Ints:

Rogers 2
Newman 4

TNew > Rogers

Those stats are all fine and dandy except when you take into account Rogers rarely saw the field until midway thought the season.(not because he wasn't ready, but because Williams does this with all his rookies. See Sean Taylor)

Now if you really want to talk about a bad season, go ahead and look at Newman's second season.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
skinsfunguy said:
Those stats are all fine and dandy except when you take into account Rogers rarely saw the field until midway thought the season.(not because he wasn't ready, but because Williams does this with all his rookies. See Sean Taylor)

Now if you really want to talk about a bad season, go ahead and look at Newman's second season.

Newman STARTED from day 1 in Dallas and gave up less yards and TDs than Rogers in his rookie year

You really need to stop, this WILL get ugly in a hurry if you dont

Renesis

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
Newman STARTED from day 1 in Dallas and gave up less yards and TDs than Rogers in his rookie year

You really need to stop, this WILL get ugly in a hurry if you dont
How many yards and TD's did Rogers give up last year if you don't mind my asking? I thought he did pretty well, but I've never seen the stats.

I can think of one TD in the AZ game, how many others?

MONT17

Reaction score
I liked Carlos Rogers out of college but he has not played up to what I expected... I wanted the Boys to draft Rogers to cover T.O.!!! But to compare rookie season is almost pointless so I wont... Newman had a sophmore slump but played well last year!!!

Shawn Springs... I liked him out of college as well... he is the son of a COWBOY so I will not rip him! But I will say his play has shocked the hell out of me... he is much better than Dorsetts kid!!!

Taylor and AA should be fun to watch... Taylor is a superior player with an inferior paycheck!!! If AA got 10 million to sign how much would "U" ask for if u are SHAWN TAYLOR???

Im sure Taylor is looking to be the new "Ruprict" in Beaumont Sur Mer....

Ruprict will get a smile on his face when he sees AA play!!!

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Renesis said:
How many yards and TD's did Rogers give up last year if you don't mind my asking? I thought he did pretty well, but I've never seen the stats.

I can think of one TD in the AZ game, how many others?

According to mel Kiper's year in review article after last seaosn regarding last year's rookies, Rogers gave up 3 TDs and 21 receptions for an average of 11.2 yard per reception

Give me a minute and I'll find the article in ESPN's database

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
MONT17 said:
I liked Carlos Rogers out of college but he has not played up to what I expected... I wanted the Boys to draft Rogers to cover T.O.!!! But to compare rookie season is almost pointless so I wont... Newman had a sophmore slump but played well last year!!!

Shawn Springs... I liked him out of college as well... he is the son of a COWBOY so I will not rip him! But I will say his play has shocked the hell out of me... he is much better than Dorsetts kid!!!

Taylor and AA should be fun to watch... Taylor is a superior player with an inferior paycheck!!! If AA got 10 million to sign how much would "U" ask for if u are SHAWN TAYLOR???

Im sure Taylor is looking to be the new "Ruprict" in Beaumont Sur Mer....

Ruprict will get a smile on his face when he sees AA play!!!

SKin Alert Skin alert

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
skinsfunguy said:

In other words, Newman was more ready to start as a rookie and therefore the better option.

J-DOG

Reaction score
redskins1 said:
espn analyst likes our d cord,cause he puts players in position to make plays,but dont kidd yourselfs cowboy fans..you must have talent to...which the skins do...thats why they are picked so high....its coaching and talent at the highest level...
I agree with half of that statement.
Yes you must have talent, but don't kid yourself skin, the scheme has a big reason for defenses being successful.
The skins have a good scheme on defense. I will agree to that.
But better talent than us???? No way!
And the funny thing is that after all of those years of beating the skins the Cowboys defense will be the unit that creates fear in every divisional rival this season.
The skins window was last year...now dem days are over!
Believe it!:dissskin:

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
skinsngibbs4life said:
I have not seen many Rams games over the past couple of years, so I can't really give a good assessment of Archuleta. The only thing that I do know about him is that he has a good work ethic. I have heard that he is bad in coverage, and that is yet to be seen.

Just cause YOU haven't seen AA and his shortcomings in coverage, doesn't mean "it is yet to be seen." He is widely considered the worst coverage safety in the league, as has been stated. But please, feel free to believe he's a good cover guy until YOU see him. :lmao:

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
peplaw06 said:
Just cause YOU haven't seen AA and his shortcomings in coverage, doesn't mean "it is yet to be seen." He is widely considered the worst coverage safety in the league, as has been stated. But please, feel free to believe he's a good cover guy until YOU see him. :lmao:

Hey, if it takes TO busting his arse for 2-3 TDs in week 2 for him to realize it, I'm all for it :D

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
skinsfunguy said:
Yeah it was pretty terrible.

6 less tackles, 1 less sack and same # of picks. Pretty bad. :lmao:

BTW Newman's #'s will always be lower than they should be due to offenses staying away from him.

Manster68

Reaction score
About Newman's sophomore season, he played that entire season on a bad leg.

Let's not forget that.

Gamebreaker

Benched
Reaction score
Renesis said:
I was amazed that we were ranked 2. I was thinking something in the 10-5 range. I think we are at the very worst solid, but I don't know what or who(beyond Williams) we have that would warrant a ranking of 2.

I figured us somewhere between #8-12. I haven't seen the segment yet, but I don't understand how we're that high.