News: Schefter: Cowboys Have Placed Franchise Tag on RB Tony Pollard

AtomicDog

Reaction score
I'm happy for the young man. Let's say he keeps 6.5 million after taxes. If he invests wisely he could be set for life. Glad to see he will have a good payday.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Have we ever used the transition tag? That is what we should have done. I said the same about Dak, now look what we are into.

We think our players are better than other teams do.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Right there with you there. People always seem to be in a hurry to move past good football players. They're not nearly as easy to find as people make it out to be. I don't want the team on the hook for 25+ million in salary cap charge for the RB position unless they are going to turn into a ground and pound team which isn't bloody likely so the tag move was just the first in a series of moves that will need to be made at the position. For me the optimal solution was always going to be finding a cost effective way to keep both guys and draft an insurance guy. Much as I like Davis he is more TP than he is Zeke. This team still needs a Zeke type runner. A strong, tough, short yardage and red zone guy who will also pass protect. If they part ways with Zeke they still have that need. Bottom line is you always want as many good smart football players as you can find on your team!
Well said Ronnie.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Have we ever used the transition tag? That is what we should have done. I said the same about Dak, now look what we are into.

We think our players are better than other teams do.
Why? Teams hardly use the transition tag at all because it's become almost useless unless you want to match a multi year deal.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
This works if the plan is to move on from him after one year.

They really do need to remake the position, and it shouldn’t be all that difficult to do over a two off-season period.
One draft pick this year will do it. We can go with Johnny Fresh Legs and Malik Davis.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
As expected. Glad to have him for at least another year.

Dumb Dumb Dumb. Your franchised a RB that took 3 years to learn to be a RB, Is not your preference inside the 5 yard line or on 3rd down and 2 for a first down or to run the clock out with 4 minutes left in the game, has only 1 1K rushing season, and is coming off a broke ankle and broke lower leg.

Jerry Dumbo GM.

I hope they did this to trade him before the draft. Pollard is not a franchise back or he would have been selected and scouted like a franchise back. But Jerry Dumbo GM Jones has broken out the anointing oil once again.

McMicah

Reaction score
Give the man a chance to be a feature back. That’s worth $10M to me and he’s more than earned it playing behind a lesser back for at least the last 2 years. If he’s incredible, extend him. If not, it was $10M. Y’all quit acting like this was a 5 yr deal with huge guarantees

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
If I have someone who is a known commodity I would much rather have him than taking a chance on the next Joseph Randal.....
I look at it like the Dalton Schultz tag. We could have just risked finding a starting tight end in the draft, or paid bargain basement for a placeholder, but instead we gave Schultz the tag, then drafted a tight end (and found another as a UDFA). This allows us to move on this year instead of giving Schultz a long-term deal.

Our approach should be the same at RB. For those who think we should just move on now, there is no guarantee any back we draft is going to turn out. I'd rather have Pollard for a year while we see if a back we draft turns out to be someone we can handle the starting role. I'd take on from Round 2-4 even with this tag and even if Elliott takes a paycut.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
This benefits Jerry more than TonyP.

If Pollards leg is still wrecked, Jerry is only out 10 million.

Dallas can wait.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I look at it like the Dalton Schultz tag. We could have just risked finding a starting tight end in the draft, or paid bargain basement for a placeholder, but instead we gave Schultz the tag, then drafted a tight end (and found another as a UDFA). This allows us to move on this year instead of giving Schultz a long-term deal.

Our approach should be the same at RB. For those who think we should just move on now, there is no guarantee any back we draft is going to turn out. I'd rather have Pollard for a year while we see if a back we draft turns out to be someone we can handle the starting role. I'd take on from Round 2-4 even with this tag and even if Elliott takes a paycut.
Except none of the other TEs have 2200 yds and 17 TDS.

You have to pay players or they leave for FA.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Give the man a chance to be a feature back. That’s worth $10M to me and he’s more than earned it playing behind a lesser back for at least the last 2 years. If he’s incredible, extend him. If not, it was $10M. Y’all quit acting like this was a 5 yr deal with huge guarantees
Players don’t want the tag.

Especially RBs.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Except none of the other TEs have 2200 yds and 17 TDS.

You have to pay players or they leave for FA.
Not sure the point. You keep the current guy on a franchise tag because you know he can play while you draft a rookie hoping he can play. Ideally, you see skills in that rookie that allow you to keep from having to give the current guy a major long-term deal.

That's what we did with Schultz, and I hope that's what we are doing with Pollard. It's possible that the back we draft won't show the potential to replace Pollard, but you've got to take a stab at it before you pay the FA long term.

DanA

Reaction score
This is a good decision IMO. Ideally, we addressed the position last year and had a succession plan in place but given we don't, this buys us a year to develop a rookie without committing money long-term. Maybe it's a 1-2m overpay, and it was the same with Shultz, but that little bit of extra buys us time and hopefully, we can find a Ferguson and Hendershot equivalent at RB to set us up longer term. The last thing I want us to do is go is fork out a long-term deal in free agency and I don't want to go into the draft with nothing in the position either. This is the best of a bad situation IMO and it's really not that bad because Pollard was pretty awesome.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Smart move.

I love TP. One of my favorite players. And he's been so humble playing behind Zeke.

I expect nothing but 100 percent effort.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
so we are giving a 2nd deal AGAIN to a rb. Thats 10 million we won't have UNLESS we sign him and prorate the cap hit. Stupid is AS stupid does.
Can you please capitalize your words in odd places some more?

Cebrin

Reaction score
As expected. Glad to have him for at least another year.

10? Hmm. Zeke is gone for sure. Otherwise this is idiocy. (Unless he takes an insane paycut to be here) If not, I'll shake my head all the way to next years draft.