Twitter: Schefter: Cowboys likely to use franchise tag on Prescott

mattjames2010

Reaction score
That depends on dak's asking price. Could be it's just ridiculous. Only certainty is that no one knows what dak is asking. Stephen won't lose the farm for one prized cow. And I suspect money has far more to do with the situation than the fo opinion of dak. Nothing else makes sense.

The trend in this league right now is overapaying for mediocre QBs and shattering the market to pay for elite QBs. There are a few things at play here 1. Prescott and his agent seeing what goes down with Mahomes 2. Jerry/Stephen don't view Dak as highly as they say they do, or overpaying wouldn't be as big of a deal 3. Length of contract

This isn't a WR or RB situation, it's a franchise QB situation. You already have that QB saying how disappointed he is a contract hasn't been done. At the very least, Dak isn't happy and he's about to get slapped with a franchise tag (most likely). Whether we do or don't sign him we'll see, but this tells me that Jerry and Stephen know Dak is more average than he is near the top.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
True. But in 2012 none of that happened yet and Romo was still young as far as QB's are concerned. The Cowboys and everybody else expected Romo to play out that six year contract.

He missed most of 2010, was hampered by injury in 2011 as well, missed games in 2008. He was certainly injury prone and the line we put in front of him didn't help either. He was also aging, he was 30+ at that point.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
That’s incorrect. They offered him a deal that he wanted initially but offered a year later. That’s a goof up. Letting Wentz and Goff set the market? Goof up. They screwed this up from the get go and have been.
No was more pointing Dak should be doing the same w/Amari. So the potential for the same progress is there. Cobb was a good signing. Give you credit. I already see 8 responses in your quota lol. Half the reason I stopped postin round here..come to OT you wanna hear some fire lol

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
That’s incorrect. They offered him a deal that he wanted initially but offered a year later. That’s a goof up. Letting Wentz and Goff set the market? Goof up. They screwed this up from the get go and have been.

Just like when they could have had DeMarcus Lawrence for 17 million a season and sat on their hands. Then Khalil Mack gets paid and the Cowboys have to give Tank 21 million-plus per year.

Now we get months of Dak drama. Wonderful.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
i just wish the cowboys had front office management capable of running a real nfl football team consistently

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
i just wish the cowboys had front office management capable of running a real nfl football team consistently

The Cowboys are actually pretty good in the personnel department. Not counting the Taco pick in 2017 and Trysten Hill in the 2nd last year the drafts have been very good for the past decade.

The problem is they aren't proactive in getting contracts done. They had to reset the RB market to get Zeke and had to overpay DeMarcus Lawrence, and unless they want to start over at quarterback, they've painted themselves into a corner with Dak, too.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I’ve never heard they didn’t want him. Even in this article it contradicts what you’re
https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/ww...commitment-wasnt-there-from-kirk-cousins/amp/
Sigh.

If the Commanders felt Cousins was the quarterback to lead them into the future, they would have signed him. PERIOD!
They're not letting a franchise quarterback walk away without major compensation. They simply didn't think of him as a franchise quarterback. PERIOD!
That's why they didn't even try to package him for picks. They weren't convinced, and they weren't convinced other teams felt he was worthy of that distinction.
The other point is the chicken and the egg dilemma. Is it that Cousins didn't want to be there or is it the Commanders didn't want him, and he basically reflected their attitude towards him.

Again, team don't let franchise quarterback walk. They just don't.

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
Good he isn’t worth what’s he’s asking for and if the Cowboys’ FO decides to franchise him they must agree.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Sigh.

If the Commanders felt Cousins was the quarterback to lead them into the future, they would have signed him. PERIOD!
They're not letting a franchise quarterback walk away without major compensation. They simply didn't think of him as a franchise quarterback. PERIOD!
That's why they didn't even try to package him for picks. They weren't convinced, and they weren't convinced other teams felt he was worthy of that distinction.
The other point is the chicken and the egg dilemma. Is it that Cousins didn't want to be there or is it the Commanders didn't want him, and he basically reflected their attitude towards him.

Again, team don't let franchise quarterback walk. They just don't.

Did you read the article? They didn't let him walk he LEFT them. By the time they got done franchise tagging him the price was too much for them to afford.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Just like when they could have had DeMarcus Lawrence for 17 million a season and sat on their hands. Then Khalil Mack gets paid and the Cowboys have to give Tank 21 million-plus per year.

Now we get months of Dak drama. Wonderful.
Exactly like that. They keep letting other agents dictate the market because they are "negotiating".

Chuck 54

Reaction score
They're so confident in Prescott that they won't give the young "great" QB the contract he wants. Yet, they gave an aging and injury prone Romo a contract.

This says a lot more than any of the babble that comes out of Jerry and Stephen. They aren't confident in what they have in Prescott.
Or they learned from past mistakes. Making Romo the highest paid QB in the NFL hen he signed was foolish. The team was never deep enough to overcome injuries, and he was never good enough to put the team on his back....those are facts backed by Cowboys history. It would also be a mistake to make Dak the highest paid QB in the league. He’s good enough to win it all with, but like Romo, he can’t put the team on his back. Very few QBs can.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Or they learned from past mistakes. Making Romo the highest paid QB in the NFL hen he signed was foolish. The team was never deep enough to overcome injuries, and he was never good enough to put the team on his back....those are facts backed by Cowboys history. It would also be a mistake to make Dak the highest paid QB in the league. He’s good enough to win it all with, but like Romo, he can’t put the team on his back. Very few QBs can.
That's exactly what I think it is. People are using past decisions to dictate our future. I'm a Dak guy but even I understand what they are doing. I think they should've set the market before Goff and Wentz...they didn't so now they are negotiating.

MaaS

Reaction score
Dak has played four seasons for peanuts (by NFL standards). I cannot be upset with him for holding out. He deserves a long-term deal or the opportunity to test the market IMO.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
i wouldn't do it either if i was Dak. I mean really. He played the whole season and risked injury and played one of his best seasons as a passer yet here we are again. Yeah he gets 30 million for that year but that's not a guarantee for putting his body on the line for a multi billion dollar company. Lets say he plays on the tag next year gets a season ending injury his future dollars will take a huge drop. Its not all about the now. Its future wealth he wants too. #security.

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
i wouldn't do it either if i was Dak. I mean really. He played the whole season and risked injury and played one of his best seasons as a passer yet here we are again. Yeah he gets 30 million for that year but that's not a guarantee for putting his body on the line for a multi billion dollar company. Lets say he plays on the tag next year gets a season ending injury his future dollars will take a huge drop. Its not all about the now. Its future wealth he wants too. #security.

Let him go disappear for quarters at a time for another team.

Bohuntr97

Reaction score
agree
This is on Dak not the Cowboys
If I’m Jerry I tag Dak and tell his agent to go find a negotiating partner who will give Dak more than 30 mill/ year

I was thinking the same, namely the Colts. They have Hilton, a decent backup QB and a boatload of cap space.