Twitter: Schefter: Cowboys likely to use franchise tag on Prescott

morat1959

Reaction score
Yeah u say that til we end up with another Quincy Carter, Drew Henson, Drew Bledsoe, Vinny Testaverde, Chad Hutchinson, Jon Kitna or Matt Cassel again.

QB's don't grow on tree's. We were very fortune to go from Romo To Dak. Dak came in and aint miss a beat. And this past season was Dak Prescott's best season.
Dak > Wentz.
Since we are so fortunate, how many playoff wins do we have between Romo and Dak? That’s the problem with our fan base. JJ has convinced a lot that mediocrity is greatness.

Frozen700

Reaction score
They're so confident in Prescott that they won't give the young "great" QB the contract he wants. Yet, they gave an aging and injury prone Romo a contract.

This says a lot more than any of the babble that comes out of Jerry and Stephen. They aren't confident in what they have in Prescott.

I wouldn't be confident either.

I would be seriously worried about giving him 35+ only to have him be super average and a bus driver.

You don't give a bus driver that type of money. And track records show that when the team is in his shoulders he fails to deliver half the time.

Jerry and Stephen are saying what they say because past had proven that players get butt hurt.

#DontpayDak

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
How have they goofed it up? Word is he turned down 30 million per season. You think Jerry should just pony up 35-40 million for Dak?
He wanted 34 million....they turned it down....months later now they are offering the deal he wanted now he's turning it down. Should've signed him to that deal the first time. Goof up.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
it does not..... Dak's agent can wish it so, but thats like saying Jordan's contract set the bar for the next shooting guard.

The argument isn't that he's going to get EXACTLY what Mahomes gets, it's the fact that it will still impact the total. Mahomes may get $200 million, this will raise the market on QBs. Watson is also going to be waiting on this.

It 100% impacts negotiations. Silly to say otherwise.

Frozen700

Reaction score
I think this will be worked out one way or the other but there's at least a chance this can unravel and lead to Prescott playing elsewhere and that's what I'm hoping for.

It's a longshot but it's all I got.

This is what I pray for. I really hope we piss him off, or that we are trying to he sneaky and get someone else.

#DontpayDak

Gaede

Reaction score
so you think they should just sign him for whatever amount DAK wants????? cmon, get a clue.
If he's a franchise QB, yeah.

If he's not, then don't.

Dak has put everything on the field in 4 years. There shouldn't be a doubt in their mind, and if there is, then don't re-sign him.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
He wanted 34 million....they turned it down....months later now they are offering the deal he wanted now he's turning it down. Should've signed him to that deal the first time. Goof up.
I never once heard those numbers. You have a link to confirmed sources that said they offered him 34 million and he turned it down. And if he did turn down 34 I would absolutely draft a qb and tell him to suck it.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
If he's a franchise QB, yeah.

If he's not, then don't.

Dak has put everything on the field in 4 years. There shouldn't be a doubt in their mind, and if there is, then don't re-sign him.
the fact he hasnt signed tells you all you need to know. The fact that 50% of this board says he is and the other have says he isnt means he isnt. Would anybody doubt signing Mahomes?

slick325

Reaction score
I know I will be an enemy of the state BUT...I'm good if they draft a QB and start him. Draft DL and pay for a Safety like you should have last season and Dallas is as good as last season IMO.

I wouldn't pay any QB unless they are Brady or Mahomes or Rodgers. I pull a Nick Saban or nearly all successful college coaches...control the trenches and don't mistakes at QB. I'd win a lot of games.

P.S. Dallas will pay Prescott and teams won't do what I say for a few more years. But both will happen.

garyo1954

Reaction score
The only reason Dallas will pay Dak is they are backed in a corner. They have nobody ready to take over and nobody out there they want. They gonna rely on the old, "He gives us the best chance to win" excuse here.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
This is more about McCarthy and his guys evaluating Dak than anything. That's fine, know for sure he is what you need at QB before committing.

CWR

Reaction score
There will be other teams interested for sure..this is going to get ugly and disrupt all of next season unless something is done

If there is going to be legit interest from other teams we should put the transition tag on him and make them hand us some draft picks.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Sounds like another circus offseason. Holdouts , postponed surgeries, guys showing up late and out of shape. Just start fresh make this a 3-4 year project. Let McCarthy pick his QB.