Twitter: Schefter: Dak going Cousins route could pay off financially

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
About as well as Cousins has 'worked out' for the Vikings.

Not at all.
ROFL.. what?
The Vikings have won 8 more games than the Commanders across those 2 seasons and finished above .500 both times.
The Commanders are going to be starting their 3 different starting QB week 1 of 2020.
The Vikings enter 2020 as Vegas 11th best team and the Skins are 31st.

The only thing Dallas can learn here is not do what WAS did.
Don't drag out the deal and make it ugly then try to salvage some value in trade to start over.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ROFL.. what?
The Vikings have won 8 more games than the Commanders across those 2 seasons and finished above .500 both times.
The Commanders are going to be starting their 3 different starting QB week 1 of 2020.
The Vikings enter 2020 as Vegas 11th best team and the Skins are 31st.

And are you going to try to be so ignorant as to place all of that on having and not having Kirk Cousins?

"ROFL" indeed...

:lmao:

The only thing Dallas can learn here is not do what WAS did.
Don't drag out the deal and make it ugly then try to salvage some value in trade to start over.

Too bad Stephen Jones and the Cowboys have already allowed that to happen.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Stephen seems a bit less than impressed with Dak as an "elite" QB. That's why he's looking for a long-term bargain type deal that overpays early, but perhaps is an easier contract to stomach later.

Dak wants to be wildly overpaid now, and free to get wildly overpaid again in 4 years.

Perhaps Stephen is good with the tag in that case.
Stephen ain't the one running things either lol........

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
And are you going to try to be so ignorant as to place all of that on having and not having Kirk Cousins?

"ROFL" indeed...

:lmao:

Too bad Stephen Jones and the Cowboys have already allowed that to happen.
Come on man.
You tried to argue Dallas could learn something nonsensical here.

The Commanders are the butt of the league.
The had a decent amount of talent but wouldn't commit to their QB so moved on and tried Alex Smith among like 3 or 4 other guys.
They'd GLADLY change places with the Vikings who area steady and winning team that could probably use a coach form this era and some luck on the health of their RB.

And yes it is too bad Dallas already blew it and waited too long to get a deal done.
Now it will just cost them more.

But the lesson here is don't be Washington.
No one wants to be Washington.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Come on man.
You tried to argue Dallas could learn something nonsensical here.

What has paying Kirk Cousins more than any quarterback in the league done for the Vikings?

That's the point that you and others seem to be missing.

And in case you also hadn't noticed, that bill came due in Minnesota and they had to restructure, trade, and cut several quality players, so their team got worse, not better.

The Commanders are the butt of the league.
The had a decent amount of talent but wouldn't commit to their QB so moved on and tried Alex Smith among like 3 or 4 other guys.
They'd GLADLY change places with the Vikings who area steady and winning team that could probably use a coach form this era and some luck on the health of their RB.

I'm not saying the Commanders are good, but the Vikings haven't won crap for all the money they've sunk into Cousins. The point once again.

And yes it is too bad Dallas already blew it and waited too long to get a deal done.
Now it will just cost them more.

This will be the 3rd contract in a row where the Cowboys ultimately overpay, with Stephen Jones in charge of those deals.

But the lesson here is don't be Washington.
No one wants to be Washington.

No, I wouldn't want to emulate anything Washington does. But letting Cousins go to Minnesota hasn't made the Vikings win more games. Again, that's the point.

J12B

Reaction score

This just goes to show how terrible the Commanders handled the situation.

Dallas better learn from their mistakes and not tag Dak twice. I would even be open to them rescinding the tag if a long term deal isn't done.

John813

Reaction score
Alex Smith wouldn't of taken the Skins anywhere deep, but they were doing well with him in the regular season before his career ending leg injury.
6-3 till that injury vs the Texans.
So, it's not like they failed to replace Cousins. Hard to expect your starter getting Theismanned year 1.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Cousins has made more than Rodgers and Wilson...wow. Kirk's agent works magic. Don't even care about how this info relates to Dak. Cousin's agent is the MVP.

Flamma

Reaction score

Dallas better learn from their mistakes and not tag Dak twice. I would even be open to them rescinding the tag if a long term deal isn't done.

I don't see Dallas tagging him twice. If Dallas goes 8-8 to 10-6 and either don't make the playoffs or are a quick out, there would be absolutely no reason for another tag. If Dallas kills it next year with the new staff and players and go deep into the playoffs, I think they sign Dak to a new deal. It's hard to imagine that scenario without him being a big part of it. But there would be no reason for a second tag. Garrett is no longer there. No one to blame now.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
What has paying Kirk Cousins more than any quarterback in the league done for the Vikings?

That's the point that you and others seem to be missing.

And in case you also hadn't noticed, that bill came due in Minnesota and they had to restructure, trade, and cut several quality players, so their team got worse, not better.

I'm not saying the Commanders are good, but the Vikings haven't won crap for all the money they've sunk into Cousins. The point once again.

This will be the 3rd contract in a row where the Cowboys ultimately overpay, with Stephen Jones in charge of those deals.

No, I wouldn't want to emulate anything Washington does. But letting Cousins go to Minnesota hasn't made the Vikings win more games. Again, that's the point.
roflmao again come on man...
Let's start with actual facts.

Last year Kirk Cousins was 3rd in cap hit.
Not 1st or 2nd but 3rd.
The Vikings made the playoffs. 2nd most expensive player ALSO made the playoffs.

In 2020 Kirk Cousins is 23rd in cap hit. 23rd.
Minnesota has a long-term, solution at QB and isn't dumpster diving. They made the right call.

2 QBs have played out a franchise tag season.
Kirk Cousins and Drew Brees.
Neither resigned with their original team and instead moved to greener pastures.

The highest cap hit in the NFL in 2020 is Dak Prescott.
For that cap hit Dallas has ZERO long-term stability.
It is exactly how to NOT operate.
Dallas should have signed Dak 2 years ago much like Pats did Brady and Chiefs did Brady.
And no, not because he is as good but because he is plenty good to get paid and now you will have to pay full freight with no built-in rookie years to stretch the deal or split the cap hit.

But this tragic cap mismanagement if they don't extend him by Wednesday.
If he is bad you just paid him 31.4M for a bad year and piddling return in FA if you again let more players go then you sign.
If he is good you are going to have to pay him 40M AAV because you were a goofball and waited.
It's tragically mismanaged.
Dallas lost all leverage long ago and like a liar who keeps telling more lies to cover tracks is serious in over their head.

CWR

Reaction score
If a long term deal is to be made, if he plays on the tag for 2 years, he best get to a SB by that 2nd year. Or nothing will get done.
I don't care about the money, it is not mine. Just win.

Yup by not getting a long term deal he is placing himself in a spot to either play his tail off and win it all or go elsewhere. Until he proves he can carry the team I dont think his offer is going to get much better. Mahomes deal did not help Daks case and it effectively set the ceiling for years to come. Maybe Watson or Ljax come close but I doubt they surpasse it, especially with a possibility of the cap not going up.

Worst case scenario for Dak is getting injured and Dalton coming in without skipping a beat. At that point Dak may be done in Dallas. He is going to have to prove hes not a product of a great offense, but the engine that makes it go.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
roflmao again come on man...
Let's start with actual facts.

Last year Kirk Cousins was 3rd in cap hit.
Not 1st or 2nd but 3rd.
The Vikings made the playoffs. 2nd most expensive player ALSO made the playoffs.

In 2020 Kirk Cousins is 23rd in cap hit. 23rd.
Minnesota has a long-term, solution at QB and isn't dumpster diving. They made the right call.

No they didn’t. No matter how many times you’d like to say it. They haven’t approached the level of success they had BEFORE they signed Cousins. Spin that fact.

2 QBs have played out a franchise tag season.
Kirk Cousins and Drew Brees.
Neither resigned with their original team and instead moved to greener pastures.

The highest cap hit in the NFL in 2020 is Dak Prescott.
For that cap hit Dallas has ZERO long-term stability.
It is exactly how to NOT operate.
Dallas should have signed Dak 2 years ago much like Pats did Brady and Chiefs did Brady.
And no, not because he is as good but because he is plenty good to get paid and now you will have to pay full freight with no built-in rookie years to stretch the deal or split the cap hit.

But this tragic cap mismanagement if they don't extend him by Wednesday.
If he is bad you just paid him 31.4M for a bad year and piddling return in FA if you again let more players go then you sign.
If he is good you are going to have to pay him 40M AAV because you were a goofball and waited.
It's tragically mismanaged.
Dallas lost all leverage long ago and like a liar who keeps telling more lies to cover tracks is serious in over their head.

Agreed. Totally bungled this.

Flamma

Reaction score
Jerry only gets involved when he really wants something to happen.

He isn't sold either.

I'm not sure about this yet. If Dak plays on the tag then I'll agree with you. Some doubt or caution is the reason. Otherwise Jerry signs his stars. At least most of them.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
No they didn’t. No matter how many times you’d like to say it. They haven’t approached the level of success they had BEFORE they signed Cousins. Spin that fact.

Agreed. Totally bungled this.

Minny was good in 2017 as a team. Made the Conf Finals on a miracle play/bad call whatever.
But LOST 38-7 to Nick Foles. Keenum was really bad in that game.
They have not made it as far in the playoffs since.
But they do have a QB now.
Case Keenum on the other hand has been a journeyman with stops in Denver and WAS and now CLE....

Minny was right. Get the QB handled.
The defense hasn't been as good and they've got an old school coaching style issue but they are a very competitive football team with an actual QB.
Last year they beat the Saints in the playoffs much like they did in 2017.

I like Keenum. He's a Texas kid who played for Kliff as his QB coach/OC at Houston.
But he isn't a legit starting NFL QB.
And every team has to start with finding a long-term solution at QB.

Minny would have been done with Cousins and free and clear of him but just extended him 2 more years.
They like the stability at the position.

You are mistaking the fluke one year playoff run from a QB they saw daily to be repeatable.
They didn't buy that and appear very correct. Keenum has never own more than 6 games in ANY other NFL season.

Flamma

Reaction score

They cant after he already signed it.