Twitter: Schefter: Dak going Cousins route could pay off financially

erod

Reaction score
I'm not sure about this yet. If Dak plays on the tag then I'll agree with you. Some doubt or caution is the reason. Otherwise Jerry signs his stars. At least most of them.
Dak isn't getting signed this week.

What is the difference in what Dak wants and just using the tag each year?

Makes no sense for Dallas to sign that deal.

Flamma

Reaction score
Dak isn't getting signed this week.

What is the difference in what Dak wants and just using the tag each year?

Makes no sense for Dallas to sign that deal.

Because tagging a QB you're not totally sold on for a second time with that ridiculous cap hit is idiotic. Don't go by Washington. They can do some stupid crap.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He's got to decide what's most important to him. Being the Cowboys quarterback, or making every cent he can in his playing contract.

He's not getting both.

This epitomizes the fan thinking like a fan versus a player thinking like a business.

Michael Corleone said it best. "It's not personal, Sonny. It's strictly business."

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Remember Stephen AND Jerry damn near negotiated Dak's contract through the media. Hell Stephen even said there wasn't a QB in the league he would trade for Dak or Dak would be his first overall pick in a current draft. We've heard little or nothing over the last 3-4 months regarding their desire to him signed long-term. What happened?

fivetwos

Reaction score
This epitomizes the fan thinking like a fan versus a player thinking like a business.

Michael Corleone said it best. "It's not personal, Sonny. It's strictly business."
In a negotiation, one side expecting to have things both ways leads you to exactly where they are now.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
Dak is no fool. The franchise tag will be his best friend.

fivetwos

Reaction score
What I'm not at all getting is WHY in the world the agent had him sign the tag.

What did that do to help his cause?

I'd be much more sweating things out right now if I'm Jerry without that signature.

This agent is taking Prescott for a ride big time.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Minny was good in 2017 as a team. Made the Conf Finals on a miracle play/bad call whatever.
But LOST 38-7 to Nick Foles. Keenum was really bad in that game.
They have not made it as far in the playoffs since.
But they do have a QB now.
Case Keenum on the other hand has been a journeyman with stops in Denver and WAS and now CLE....

Minny was right. Get the QB handled.
The defense hasn't been as good and they've got an old school coaching style issue but they are a very competitive football team with an actual QB.
Last year they beat the Saints in the playoffs much like they did in 2017.

Who have won LESS games AFTER paying big money for Kirk Cousins. Undeniable.

I like Keenum. He's a Texas kid who played for Kliff as his QB coach/OC at Houston.
But he isn't a legit starting NFL QB.
And every team has to start with finding a long-term solution at QB.

Minny would have been done with Cousins and free and clear of him but just extended him 2 more years.
They like the stability at the position.

You are mistaking the fluke one year playoff run from a QB they saw daily to be repeatable.
They didn't buy that and appear very correct. Keenum has never own more than 6 games in ANY other NFL season.

A double they're paying Cousins huge money to be a two games above .500 for his career quarterback.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Yep.

Business.

NFL teams are big business.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
What I'm not at all getting is WHY in the world the agent had him sign the tag.

What did that do to help his cause?

I'd be much more sweating things out right now if I'm Jerry without that signature.

This agent is taking Prescott for a ride big time.

Maybe Jerry and Stephen threatened to rescind the tag if it was not signed by July 15. Either way, Dak signing the tag was the right decision IMO. You don't play with $31M on the table......just don't. (lol)

DandyDon52

Reaction score
n regards to Cousins....they haven't won anything but I don't know if I put that on him. I don't put last season on him. I think Cousins is criminally underrated. Not top 5 or anything but he belongs in that top 10 conversation. He doesn't have the ESPN highlights to back him up which is why people underrate him.
Cousins is similar to dak, both have won only 1 playoff game, have a hard time winning against teams with winning record, and both
are inconsistent passing. They both look great at times, and then really bad at times.
But in both cases it was not all on them.

I see in the other post that cousins has made more actual money than any other qb, and that is kinda funny, and I think
Dak is looking to do the same or similar thing.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Maybe Jerry and Stephen threatened to rescind the tag if it was not signed by July 15. Either way, Dak signing the tag was the right decision IMO. You don't play with $31M on the table......just don't. (lol)
once he signs it, they cant rescind it , or so I assume.
They now owe him 31 mil, and he just has to show up and play to get it.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Doubt that. He could have walked for no compensation at that point.

What good is 31M in cap space if no one to spend it on?

erod

Reaction score
Because tagging a QB you're not totally sold on for a second time with that ridiculous cap hit is idiotic. Don't go by Washington. They can do some stupid crap.
You're not following.

What Dak is asking for is basically a three-year tag so he can get right back in the market quickly. This is only about money for him.

Why would Dallas give away their control of the situation by guaranteeing him the tag money?
Then, only the Cowboys would be assuming any risk. Better to just tag him for three straight years and pay the same amount, or release him along the way if they want to.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Jerry's desperation won't allow for that happen.

I think the issue here is I honestly don't believe the Cowboys will do better than Dak and I don't think Dak will do better than Jerry. I think they belong with each other. Maybe I underestimate the Cowboys ability to find quarterbacks or maybe I underestimate the market for Dak.

In regards to Cousins....they haven't won anything but I don't know if I put that on him. I don't put last season on him. I think Cousins is criminally underrated. Not top 5 or anything but he belongs in that top 10 conversation. He doesn't have the ESPN highlights to back him up which is why people underrate him.
Good post.
QB's like Kirk and Dak need the following to have a decent chance to get to the dance.
1) a top 3 defense and top 5 special teams
2) a very good HC
3) Some luck with minimal injuries
4) Some luck with decent officiating
The first 2 variables, Jerry has control over and has perhaps fixed #2. Variable #1 looks like a crapshoot. If our offense stays healthy, Dak has no excuses and has the opportunity to thrive financially with a ginormous contract next year. I think both sides have laid out all the cards and waiting for the other to flinch at this point. Next few days will be interesting.