Schefter: Zack Martin Unhappy with Contract; Considering Not Reporting to Camp

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I like Martin as much as any Cowboys fan, and have more issues with Jerry than some Cowboys fans, but Martin got what he wanted.

Highest paid: check. Six years: check. Now, after four years, he's no longer the highest paid. Yeah, should've seen that coming - hire a better agent.

So it's the Cowboys' fault that he regrets signing the contract that he wanted?

He's set to make $13.5 million this year and $14 million next year. He wanted that 6-year, $84 million contract. Shut up and play. I don't want to hear it.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I like Martin as much as any Cowboys fan, and have more issues with Jerry than some Cowboys fans, but Martin got what he wanted.

Highest paid: check. Six years: check. Now, after four years, he's no longer the highest paid. Yeah, should've seen that coming - hire a better agent.

So it's the Cowboys' fault that he regrets signing the contract that he wanted?

He's set to make $13.5 million this year and $14 million next year. He wanted that 6-year, $84 million contract. Shut up and play. I don't want to hear it.
If you take the article literally, he's asking for the contract to be "restructured", not improved. It mentions "woefully, underpaid", which refers solely to this year.
Speculating that he wants some of his scheduled 2024 $14m restructured into this year.
Yep the contracts is the contract and was designed as such that he could be cut in 2024 (probably in case of injury or loss of form).
A compromise, if the Cowboys want to keep their top veterans happy is restructure some of the 2024 salary into 2023 and make what's remaining in 2024 subject to fitness.
This isn't a big story, that's why it's come out now.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
Martin is definately among my favourite players on the team, if not the favourite right now. Among the best Cowboys ever and I have nothing but respect for him.

In this case though he doesn't have a case imo. Was the highest payed OG in football at the time and they will want to extend him anyway. So why go public with this and cause unnessecary drama in the media? Not cool.

But whatever it is, I just hope he'll be locked and loaded against the Giants. They need him more than most other players, 'nuff said.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Zak, I would prefer you retire or shut up and do your job, however, I understand your timing to make it known you want to renegotiate your contract is purely strategic. You are in a position of strength to get what you want. Good luck.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Cut him!!! He wasn't nearly as good last year as years before....

Blitzen

Reaction score
Very unlikely he woke up this week and realized he was underpaid. What’s more likely is they’ve been communicating back and forth about this all offseason and it hasn’t gotten anywhere, so now he is frustrated because camp is already near
Ding, ding, ding! Players only have this as leverage currently. You only really know a player’s value when the rest of the team is healthy, BUT that one player is absent. Kinda like when Dak was absent for 5 games last season. Or however many games Tyron missed.

Teams have to actually weigh the player’s true impact on games won or lost-when making decisions on upping guaranteed money. If you fear his absence would dramatically affect the game’s outcome, then you increase the guaranteed money. If not, wait it out.

The people that are extremely upset know his absence would expose other players-and emphasize the other player’s shortcomings.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Zach Martin should not have signed a long-term contract knowing the back end would age out and not have him paid top of the league. Big baby.
Exactly. It is just maximum greed or it is stupidity. Either way not a good look.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
If you take the article literally, he's asking for the contract to be "restructured", not improved. It mentions "woefully, underpaid", which refers solely to this year.
Speculating that he wants some of his scheduled 2024 $14m restructured into this year.
Yep the contracts is the contract and was designed as such that he could be cut in 2024 (probably in case of injury or loss of form).
A compromise, if the Cowboys want to keep their top veterans happy is restructure some of the 2024 salary into 2023 and make what's remaining in 2024 subject to fitness.
This isn't a big story, that's why it's come out now.
yeah, but then next year? is he going to ask for the same thing?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Tyron Smith never has missed a Cowboys game (other than when injured) or training camp. He even gave more than half of his yearly salary back to the team for being absent due to injury.

Zack Martin was given a record at the time 2018 six year paid contract and now wants to get paid royally once again. I have a feeling he would not do the same as Tyron Smith has done. ^^^^