Schefter: Zack Martin Unhappy with Contract; Considering Not Reporting to Camp

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
And no OG is actually getting 20 million a year. Lindstrom signed a $100 million contract but only $48 million is guaranteed. He’ll likely get extended/restructured long before he sees the full 100 million. His base salaries are around 12-16 million.

Martin probably wants a few years extended beyond 2024 with guaranteed money as he has none left.

Are you saying you wouldn’t do that because you don’t think he’s worthy of a new commitment/guarantees for a few years beyond 2024?

What if Martin wants his 2024 salary guaranteed, then a 2-3 year extension beyond that averaging like 15 million a year with say another 10 million guaranteed (for around 20 million total guaranteed). You would pass?
I wouldn't want to guarantee his 2024 salary, because his base is $13 million. If he'd let me half it and guarantee each half over two years (with some other guarantees thrown in), I'd do that in a heartbeat. Truth is, it will likely be in our best interest to extend him next year anyway. Unless his play falls off dramatically, I don't think we want next year to be his last. Do it now and in some ways it will be less expensive because you've already got money in the deal to move around. I think he could get a nice bonus this year and bounce some money down the line by prorating it.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
What’s funny is. I can show video of Tyler getting beat multiple times this season. What’s the point? Players get beat. Larry Allen got beat for cripes sake lol.
That's a lie. Allen occasionally let defenders feel like they beat him in order to not crush their spirits. He was very generous.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
The Uniform Commercial Code determines enforceability of a contract and what is binding on both parties that agree to the contract. If one part was in violation of any binding elements determining enforcability violation, it's to court and major penalties involved. Jerry Jones has done his homework there.

No, the Player's Association would not pause to secure a federal level of violation for a contract. No hesitations here.
Safe to say no NFL franchise has ever violated a contract with a player.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Training camp holdouts by players under contract are largely going to be a thing of the past because of more severe penalties in the 2020 NFL/NFLPA Collective Bargaining Agreement. Teams are required to fine players who aren't on rookie contracts $50,000 per day with training camp absences. Players on rookie contracts, like Adams, are subject to a $40,000 daily fine.

There's an additional penalty of one week's base salary (1/18th of salary) for each preseason game missed with players signing contracts as unrestricted free agents or first-round picks playing under their fifth-year option. Only Gilmore, who was an unrestricted free agent when he joined the Patriots in 2017, and Adams, a 2017 first-round pick, would have been hit with the extra sanction in a holdout.

These financial penalties don't apply to unsigned draft picks and players with restricted free agent, franchise or transition tenders who aren't under contract that miss training camp. Their attendance isn't required because of the absence of a signed contract. Contractually obligated services or performance isn't being withheld in these cases.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ts by players,day with training camp absences.

That is what Martin is up against if he holds out.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I would call his bluff and I'm sure Jerry will do just that. I'd rather sign Diggs, CeeDee, and Parsons.
Personally I would have a line in the sand but I would definitely hear him out and try to negotiate in good faith with him. He doesn't have a lot of leverage but he does deserve respect.

Working it out so he retires as a Cowboy as opposed to being gone after next season is the ideal I would be looking for.

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
Personally I would have a line in the sand but I would definitely hear him out and try to negotiate in good faith with him. He doesn't have a lot of leverage but he does deserve respect.

Working it out so he retires as a Cowboy as opposed to being gone after next season is the ideal I would be looking for.
I agree with that. I'd try to make him happy after this season. I dont like extending players that still have 2 or more years left on their deal. Unless we can get a significant savings by doing it early. It just sets a bad precedent.

HungryLion

Reaction score

I think a year or two extension with some added guaranteed cash could be a good deal for
Both parties. So the FO should be open and willing to have discussions with Martins agent.

BossRhino

Reaction score
Zach Martin should not have signed a long-term contract knowing the back end would age out and not have him paid top of the league. Big baby.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Again, why? Owners don't honor signed contracts all the time. Why is it the players that have to honor it? If Martin got 3 major concussions and destroyed his bran for life Jerry would have dropped him and not paid him in a nano second.
You do not have a single example of an NFL franchise violating the terms of an agreement with a player.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
EX-ACT-LY!!!!
So me people say the NFL is a business but only think the owners are allowed to be business men and the players can't be.
The salary cap is a percentage of revenues negotiated between players and owners and built into the Collective Bargaining Agreement. If players want to change something in the CBA they previously agreed to they’ll have to offer the owners something of equal value. Revenue is not a buffet served up to the players by NFL franchise ownership groups where the players to get to choose what they want when they’re hungry.

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
This is the first we are hearing of it but I’m sure this has been brewing and not because of Madden lol.
Nah not just Madden…look at them putting his jersey in the Pro Shop too…he’s inactive on Social Media and he retweets this? Players get cash from jersey sales, Dak also RT.

This is more than a coincidence they could have already worked something out.