Schefter: Zack Martin Unhappy with Contract; Considering Not Reporting to Camp

DuncanIso

Reaction score
But his base was actually $13.5 million. They just paid him $11.8 million of that in March instead of split over the 17 week season. It's no different than your boss coming to you and saying they will pay you 80% of your 2023 total salary in January and then the remaining 20% over Oct, Nov and Dec. You salary is still the grand total, not what they just paid you in those last three months.
I would guess the reason he is so mad is because his 2024 base is 13 mil and the 2023 base is 1.7

After that he’s UFA.

The restructure bonus is the same.

He wants $$$.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Yes.

I’d guess 4 years @ 60 million. 40 signing bonus.

So 5 base + 10 mil bonus = 15 cap hit per

His agent has probably been talking to them for a while,

This is just an escalation of the negotiating.

He’s UFA after 24. So get it done Jerry.

Note: he could be having $$$ problems. Who knows.
He has made 75 million so far. After everything like taxes and agent laid he cleared half. 38 million and he has cash problems then I don’t feel sorry for him. Lol. He is about to get paid. Probly a sweet signing bonus.

Sydla

Reaction score
I would guess the reason he is so mad is because his 2024 base is 13 mil and the 2023 base is 1.7

After that he’s UFA.

The restructure bonus is the same.

He wants $$$.

But again, his base salary wasn't $1.7MM in 2023. You can keep saying that hoping it becomes true but it's not accurate. His base salary for 2023 was $13.5MM. If he claims his base salary for 2023 was only $1.7MM than he's being as disingenuous as you are being.

My guess is his contention is he's out of guaranteed money as his remaing base pay for this year and next year is not guaranteed and his contract ends next year. I suspect he wants guaranteed money again and a few more years added onto his existing deal.

BossRhino

Reaction score
So Zach Martin has used up the valuable benefit of "long-term financial security" signing his long-term deal knowing full well the back end of the deal would age out and have him under-compensated in the last years. At that time, he weighed the risk of career-ending injury vs. securing generational wealth for his family and he took the big bag of money with the long-term deal. He gambled wrong though. He has stayed healthy and in hindsight would have been better off signing a 4-year deal and get back to free agency.

But NO, the big baby will not accept that he played his hand wrong. Now, after fully already enjoying the security of a long-term deal, the big baby wants the back end of his deal to look like guards who more recently hit free agency or had the brains not to sign a long-term deal that ages out.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
99% of the time, I side with players on the money issues and with Zack Martin, I’m 100% in his corner.

NFL Players- if they are fortunate enough- have about a decade to make the most money in their career for their elite level of skill that fades with age and injury. They literally risk their physical well being every time the ball is snapped. Sure they make a lot of money but it’s pennys compared to the boss man.

Owners on the other hand risk almost zero. They can make a fortune without risking a penny. The NFL prints money. They lost money in the 2020 pandemic season but every other year, after paying all their bills, they’re still making billions (plural). Owning an NFL team is an almost zero risk business endeavor. Some owners do nothing more than have their name associated with the team and still make gobs of cash.

Don’t worry about the owners. They’re not losing any money. The players are risking a lot to play this game. And without them, there’s nothing interesting about the NFL.
It’s not a matter of profit. It’s about maintaining a competitive balance to insure the league continues to be a success. As revenues increase so does the salary cap. Kids that are sophomores in high school this coming school year, if they have the athletic ability and are willing to put in the work it takes to make an NFL roster will join the league under the current CBA. They have ample time to consider an alternative occupation if they feel the NFL is not the kind of work environment they wish to be involved with. The owners and players are not due any favors. The fans, collectively, are of primary importance because we, collectively buy the swag, attend the games, watch on TV, and buy the pickup trucks, Pepsi, beer, and every other damn thing advertised during NFL games. If a player wants to hold out, do it. Someone else will play and that’s just fine.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Put him on an incentive-laden deal. Up to allowing zero sacks.. and that the rush yards behind him are at least 3.9 -- 4.1 range.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Id rather have Zak than Dak if you'de have to pick a player to stay on the team.
Soon, baby, soon. If not this year, then Dak gets the axe.

Watch.

Nobody has told him yet.Jerry likes to sit around, but I don't think he sits this one out.He'll use Dak as trade bait. I think that clause is up after this year. That's just my guess. I just think that Jerry knows he can really build a team around any QB. I think Jerry has actually finally learned his way around deals enough to consistently run a good team. I would like to see him do it until his 90s actually. I enjoy seeing him still playing the game of life.On his own terms. Love him or hate him, that's always been him.

My only gripe has been Garrett, and hanging on to him for too long. But I understand. I'm just glad he was willing to make the tough decisions. Is the guy an angel? No, but I think he makes up for it with his due diligence with managing the team. When he fired Tom Landry, that was his goal. At least it wasn't in vain, because even I remember what a legend Tom was. All my little league coaches tried to emulate bits of him.
|
Jerry won't sit around after this year, IMO.

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
So Zach Martin has used up the valuable benefit of "long-term financial security" signing his long-term deal knowing full well the back end of the deal would age out and have him under-compensated in the last years. At that time, he weighed the risk of career-ending injury vs. securing generational wealth for his family and he took the big bag of money with the long-term deal. He gambled wrong though. He has stayed healthy and in hindsight would have been better off signing a 4-year deal and get back to free agency.

But NO, the big baby will not accept that he played his hand wrong. Now, after fully already enjoying the security of a long-term deal, the big baby wants the back end of his deal to look like guards who more recently hit free agency or had the brains not to sign a long-term deal that ages out.
Uh, this makes no sense. The last two years on his contract were not guaranteed so saying he signed for 6 years for long term security is wacky.

The reality is he signed for 6 years because the Cowboys asked for it. They did the same thing with Tyron Smith. The Cowboys wanted the 6 years for more flexibility on contract restructures, cap flexibility. Saying Martin was the one who wanted 6 years is just false.

CCBoy

Reaction score
How big of a problem would it really be if Zack Martin skips most or all of training camp as being reported? I certainly wouldn't want to start the season without him, but as good as he has been, maybe the reduced wear and tear would be a benefit over a long season. And I can't imagine Martin not being able to step right in. Contract aside, and I sure hope they iron out that issue, would you be worried about Martin missing training camp at this point in his career?Peter Malliris/Eugene, OR

Patrik:
The new CBA isn't exactly friendly to player holdouts, as in it's basically designed to end them (and mostly has), so I personally don't see a situation in which Martin doesn't report to camp. That technicality aside, reporting doesn't mean practicing, and that's what we're really on the lookout for here. To answer your question, if there is a single NFL player (not just in Dallas, but anywhere) that I know will be ready to devour souls on gameday despite having not practiced, it's Zack Martin. He's been not only the consummate pro since entering the NFL, but a literal All-Pro every … single … season. He's also showed no signs of slowing down, e.g., being named to the 99 Club on Madden, so if the reports are true and there's a contract issue that needs resolution, I'm confident it will be sooner than later (because it's Zack Martin, period). And when it is, Martin will instantly get back to the business of being the best player on the team and the best guard in all of football.

Nick: This is a tough situation to dissect, especially since we're only really going off of reports. But there seems to be something here, something to monitor at least. We're going to find out pretty quick here next week if there's legitimate beef. It can be a serious thing that forces Martin to sit out of camp and maybe into the season, which seems doubtful. Also, there could just be a difference of opinion but it doesn't exactly signal change. Think back to Dalton Schultz last year and maybe even Tony Pollard this year with the franchise tags. Surely, they're not thrilled with being tagged and having a 1-year deal, but it doesn't mean action will be taken. So we'll see what happens here with Zack. I'm a little surprised to hear this only because we've never heard anything like this from him. Doesn't mean he's not correct in wanting to be paid as the best... because he is the best. Hopefully they can make this work. But, to answer your question, if there's any kind of way in which Martin doesn't practice much or plays in the preseason, but still gets ready for Week 1, I'd be down for that.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/mailbag-how-will-zack-martin-situation-play-out

CCBoy

Reaction score
Soon, baby, soon. If not this year, then Dak gets the axe.

Watch.

Nobody has told him yet.Jerry likes to sit around, but I don't think he sits this one out.He'll use Dak as trade bait. I think that clause is up after this year. That's just my guess. I just think that Jerry knows he can really build a team around any QB. I think Jerry has actually finally learned his way around deals enough to consistently run a good team. I would like to see him do it until his 90s actually. I enjoy seeing him still playing the game of life.On his own terms. Love him or hate him, that's always been him.

My only gripe has been Garrett, and hanging on to him for too long. But I understand. I'm just glad he was willing to make the tough decisions. Is the guy an angel? No, but I think he makes up for it with his due diligence with managing the team. When he fired Tom Landry, that was his goal. At least it wasn't in vain, because even I remember what a legend Tom was. All my little league coaches tried to emulate bits of him.
|
Jerry won't sit around after this year, IMO.
That was an act involving ethics and Jerry trying to do franchise directions when Murchison stuck with Landry on a contract putting faith in his Head Coach.

blueblood70

Reaction score
He's also a declining player. Almost time to move on.
I wouldn't go that far but there needs to be middle ground not paying the man Max dollars for his position because of his age and whatnot but he may deserve a little bump in pay maybe make himself feel better and it would suck to see him go but this is the reality we watch guys like DeMarcus Ware go get a ring with somebody else, we even watched Emmitt Smith wear red I mean how hard was that to swallow but we knew at some point you have to make changes like that.

That said this little two year window we have trying to decide on Prescott's contract and some of these other big contracts coming up you wouldn't wanna lose Zach Martin so anything they do needs to be only with that two year window in mind so hopefully they can work something out..

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Are first team all pros not dominant players?
Not always. The top G's, sorta like QB's, are in transitionary stage. The younger guys like Nelson have not played up to par due to injuries. Will he return to form? Who knows. If he does, he is dominant.

Other guys who are perennial performers like Martin, Teller, Boitano & Zeller are showing some age. Still solid but not dominant.

Younger guys & guys who should be household names but aren't because of where they play round out the list. I could argue that some of those guys were more effective in 2022 than the bigger names.

Bottom line, I could make the argument no G was dominant in 2022. Still someone had to go All Pro. Also, as has been noted before, Zack plays RG. The list is generally LG heavy.

PS - neither of the Philly G's even made the top 10. I find that hard to believe. I know it's Philthy .... but they played very well and deserve credit.