Schefter: Zack Martin Unhappy with Contract; Considering Not Reporting to Camp

visionary

Reaction score
CBA says he pays $50,000 for every day of practice he misses during training camp. And the Cowboys do not have the option of excusing it. He wanted the security of a six year deal. I’m sure his representation was pleased take the 3% of the $84 million. Martin needs a smarter agent or a dumber team owner.
They don’t come any dumber
Do I guess a smarter agent is the only option

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
If you want to keep Diggs/Lamb/Parsons, yes, it makes it very hard.
Restructuring a contract only (as I understand it, no expert here) involves moving money around, right? As far as Diggs, etc. go, since none of them have anything but a rookie contract at this point, the only really big money is in Zack's contract. Diggs, etc. contracts coming up can have money deferred to later years so that Zack can have more money earlier.

The salary can is a problem, but with time to work out details on the Diggs, etc. contract it can be done.

The only question is can/will Jerry do it?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Restructuring a contract only (as I understand it, no expert here) involves moving money around, right? As far as Diggs, etc. go, since none of them have anything but a rookie contract at this point, the only really big money is in Zack's contract. Diggs, etc. contracts coming up can have money deferred to later years so that Zack can have more money earlier.

The salary can is a problem, but with time to work out details on the Diggs, etc. contract it can be done.

Doubt it. He has this year and next year as paid years. The other two are voided contractually. He is in a similar boat to Diggs.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
How many years a Pro Bowler and currently behind the top 8 guards in the NFL in pay, as much as nearly 50% less pay? He should be much closer to current standards and that even will be a low tide mark in a couple of more years. C'mon, back the studs!
Martin's contract he's on now made him, at the time he got it, the highest paid guard in the NFL. It's not like he's been shafted his entire career.

I'm sorry, and even though I'd probably be the same as Zack, no team can help what the other teams pay their guys after someone has signed a contract. That's the fact of life in the NFL

But as soon as some owner years ago caved to some player who wanted more money, the floodgates opened and now contracts essentially mean NOTHING. Doesn't make it right, and I don't like it. Players should honor their contracts, if Zack thinks he's underpaid,, let me tell him about my late mother-in-law, who made $10,000 a year as an activity director in nursing home, trying to entertain and make life meaningful for a bunch of old and not so old folks who hardly knew they were in the world, let alone appreciate what she did for them. A near thankless job I wouldn't have done for 10X what she made.

And Zack thinks $14 million a year is an insult. Excuse me while I laugh...

Flamma

Reaction score

I see what you're saying. But I don't believe they can defer bonus money that way. So what we're left with to defer is base pay from the 4th year of their rookie contract. Similar to what they did to Jalen Hurt's 4th year. It's almost all bonus money.

Lamb only has a little over 2 million to defer. Diggs a bit more at 4M+. The problem is Parsons next year. It's a little over 2M. He's probably going to get a 20-30M signing bonus. Of which 1/4 or 1/5 will be allocated to 2024. This is without even considering the consequences down the road for doing it.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Then don't sign 6 year long term deals and bail when it's half over.

basel90

Reaction score
Welp...the pie gets smaller for CeeDee and Trevon. Does Prescott take less when he's extended to make sure the team is in a good space to sign the team's best player...Micah Parsons?

This also looks like the end of Tony Pollard in Dallas too. This is money the Jones boys didn't expect to spend.

What say you Stephen "Cap Boy" Jones?
prescott has chocked up the cap and now the squeeze will come in to keep the main stars , Cee Dee , Zach Martin etc

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
I could be wrong, and probably am, but wasn't it common practice to give these long contracts with an understanding that the player would either not even see the last couple years, or it would be renegotiated sometime in the last couple years?

The long contracts provide maximum cap manipulation opportunities.

kskboys

Reaction score
Very few players seek or receive six year deals. Jerry Jones may have a lot of detractors here, but if he or any other NFL ownership group hands out a top of market six year deal to any player it is only because the owner believes it is in the team‘s best interest. If you had to bet who has the better business acumen, Jerry Jones or Zach Martin’s agent who would you put your money on? That agent saw 3% of $84 million, nothing else, Jerry saw offensive lineman pay scale likely to increase in the near term. They’re both sipping Blue Label right now, Zach is trying to figure out what happened.
Disagree w/ your synopsis.

You sign for what the market dictates at the time. He did.

No, Zach knows he made 84 mil and is unbelievably rich. It was and is a good contract. For both sides.

kskboys

Reaction score
I could be wrong, and probably am, but wasn't it common practice to give these long contracts with an understanding that the player would either not even see the last couple years, or it would be renegotiated sometime in the last couple years?

Yes. And it appeased the players need to be greedy. Problem is, players finally figured out what was happening, and now want more guaranteed money. And they don't seem to be able to comprehend that guaranteed money comes w/ taking a bit less. That's the way it works.

Techsass

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You are arrogant.

Read it for yourself.

Spotrac Zack Salary

1.7 mil base.
I think somebody posted the exact money earlier, but Zach got $11m when he restructured in March of this year. That's why his salary is so low.

I think there was some money talked about at that time that depended on how other contracts turned out. If he was expecting a raise, I'm sure his agent would have worked that out in March.

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
This is a good point. GMs work with the numbers in front of them. The forecast and act according to the numbers. This is unforeseen and can cause problems they weren't prepared for.
If they weren't prepared for future salary cap issues, then they should not be the GM. That is the GM's job.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
Wonder if we can get 2 first rounders for him lol. He is 32 years old now, will be 33 this year. I like Martin but please do not spend big money. We spend big money and the player declines. Age isn't on Martin's side either.

Flamma

Reaction score
If they weren't prepared for future salary cap issues, then they should not be the GM. That is the GM's job.
I meant it's an unforeseen event. If something is consistent 95% of the time, you rarely allocate resources for that 5%. Because it's a waste overall.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
He's always been a little low key diva...totally justified though considering his standing as an all pro.

When he "refused" to play Tackle and no one blinked an eye, you knew he was being treated a bit differently by the FO and coaching staff.

John813

Reaction score

Yup, except I would say it was heavily in favor of the team/control. Most players decline within their 2nd contract. So, it would make sense for teams to move on in year 3 or 4 of a 5-6 year deal as the dead cap would(should) be under that years cap hit. And while dead cap would stick over 1-2 years, depending on cut designation, the team didn't usually pay out anything.

Teams use the length of the deal to restructure and spread out the cap hit from the new prorated bonus as far out as can be. Recently, teams have been adding void years to be able to stretch out the cap hits while not actually extending the player longer. It really took off after C-19 and the reduced cap/flat cap.
Dallas did it at some point with Martin. Doesn't negatively impact the player in any way, as the contract voids as soon as the "original" extension ends.
Restructuring 11 mil over 4 years(including current year) is a lot nicer than 2 years when the cap hit from the proration knocks out a lot of the "savings".
But yes, some deals are artificially long to inflate the AAV.
Previous example is the Tyreek Hill deal. He will never see that last year. 40+mil base salary with no guarantees = cut prior to week 1 or extension.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I think somebody posted the exact money earlier, but Zach got $11m when he restructured in March of this year. That's why his salary is so low.

I think there was some money talked about at that time that depended on how other contracts turned out. If he was expecting a raise, I'm sure his agent would have worked that out in March.
I think his base for 2023 and 24 are out of balance.

1.7 for 23 and 13.x for 2024.

He’s UFA after 24. And there’s already dead cap money.

I’m sure he liked the signing bonus money on the restructure. 8)

He’s elite. They gotta pay him.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Yes. And it appeased the players need to be greedy. Problem is, players finally figured out what was happening, and now want more guaranteed money. And they don't seem to be able to comprehend that guaranteed money comes w/ taking a bit less. That's the way it works.
As with everything, more money created more greed and problems.
Agents/players and owners realised the latest CBA was going to see a massive raise in the CAP allowance....and everybody wanted their piece.
I see this Zack scenario being more about safeguarding away from being a roster casualty (prior to 2024) which is a possibility with the pending FA's jockeying for position to get in the front seat for pay day.
I would think a restructure that pays him the 2024 salary as a guarantee in 2023, it would placate him.