Schefter: Zack Martin Unhappy with Contract; Considering Not Reporting to Camp

kskboys

Reaction score
I meant it's an unforeseen event. If something is consistent 95% of the time, you rarely allocate resources for that 5%. Because it's a waste overall.
OK, but that's taking for granted that a player should not have to live up to the contract that he agreed to.

blueblood70

Reaction score
CBA says he pays $50,000 for every day of practice he misses during training camp. And the Cowboys do not have the option of excusing it. He wanted the security of a six year deal. I’m sure his representation was pleased take the 3% of the $84 million. Martin needs a smarter agent or a dumber team owner.
These contracts are pretty normal for every team and every player, so I don't think it's smarter agent or a Dumber owner or anything would have helped because when you signed it was a great deal... he don't think it's a great deal now , that's how it works the market changed the salaries went up, cap went up, and now he has his hand out...

that's it and I like the guy I think he give him a little extra bonus or you know Ext whatever you want to do but I don't think he cares about the 50,000 for a couple practices but it'll settle in yeah maybe someone's going to remind him of that when real training camp starts maybe he doesn't realize that they can't forgive it like they've done in the past..

that's a good point but The thing is that is how it goes Patrick Mahomes contract was awesome he signed a 10 year deal so now you trying to tell me Zach Martin thinks he's better than Patrick Mahomes?? PM and his agent signed 10yer deal, seems not so player friendly but it helped the team and hes making a ton..

Most owners are not going to allow you to sign some little three-year contract that's not team friendly that's not how it works it's usually a five to six year deal with two years that you could probably rework it they're called voidable years..

you're not getting short years that's like people talked about with Prescott oh we could have had him for 32 million or 35 million and you should have did that and this and the Joneses were idiots for letting him get to the franchise tag that's not true at all... if the man would have got the short deal he wanted which it would have been even at 35mil back in 2018/19, in 2023 he'd have been handling his new demands right now or even in 2022 and be making 52 million a year anyway and now his back loaded money is due it's about that price I don't see the difference..

blueblood70

Reaction score
It doesn't take a savant in business to know by the end of a 6 year contract in the NFL, that you're no longer going to be making market value. This should not come as a surprise to any adult.
Actually, I get what you're saying however he's still the top ten in overall guard money,

I mean if you look at overall he's close to the top five anyway, still, I mean how many guards are there in the NFL, So what is market money??

he's not in his prime, he's still a very solid consistent player but he's 32 most likely going to be on his last deal, and he will get one but he doesn't need to hold out now to get one he can go request it and they can work on it and before next season...

I'm sure he'll have a brand new deal which will be his final one here in Dallas the guy's not making bottom 20 money, I mean I don't know how many guards there are in the NFL but I imagine there's probably 100 if he's top ten even in money right now that is market money.. he's been paid market money all the way up to this point but now you have put yours who might deserve a little more going on their third deal they're going to have to wait a little bit.

they're not going to get top five market money because they're no longer that young and they're not going to be that productive for that long I mean you got that guy Jones over in Kansas City he's making $20 million right now and he's holding out at his age he's at the end of his career he's still pretty good but he's demanding to be paid like Aaron Donald you know like 30 million he's not getting that especially from Kansas City KS city is the new New England they literally are not gonna allow a player to hijack their cap when they know they may be a small drop off but they'll replace you with two cheaper guys that's what they did last year at running back and wide receiver.

And of course if Martin doesn't play this year or he retires or quits or whatever there's going to be a drop off for sure but I don't want to find out how much nobody knows.. i don't want to find out but this is business.

so bel;ow shos hes 9th out of 178 players um that still very high considering what i said above. about 8mil less then the top guy in money BUT many of those are younger on their 2nd deals ie the first big ones.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/guard/

kskboys

Reaction score
I think his base for 2023 and 24 are out of balance.

1.7 for 23 and 13.x for 2024.

He’s UFA after 24. And there’s already dead cap money.

I’m sure he liked the signing bonus money on the restructure. 8)

He’s elite. They gotta pay him.
'What? Seriously, man base pay is irrelevant. Start looking at NFL contracts in general, and it will become clear to you.

Let me give you an example:

Patrick Mahomes base pay:

2023: 5.5 mil
2024: 2.5 mil
2025: 2.5 mil
2026: 2.5 mil

Maybe that will help you understand just how irrelevant the base pay is. All that matters is the average per year.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Then don't sign 6 year long term deals and bail when it's half over.
Who's bailing? He and his agent could see at the time of signing that he'd be exposed to being cut in 2024. He's possibly more hopeful of a restructure that pays him 'money/salary' in 2023.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Yep he had chokehold on the cap... *sarcasm*

Dak's cap hit the last 3 years:
2021: $17.2M
2022: $19.7M
2023: $26.8M
*2024: $59M (on paper before any restructure/new deal)
Let restructure the 59 million and not look past this year. That way we never see anything we might not like. Solid plan.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
'What? Seriously, man base pay is irrelevant. Start looking at NFL contracts in general, and it will become clear to you.

Let me give you an example:

Patrick Mahomes base pay:

2023: 5.5 mil
2024: 2.5 mil
2025: 2.5 mil
2026: 2.5 mil

Maybe that will help you understand just how irrelevant the base pay is. All that matters is the average per year.
They like game checks.

After taxes, he’s getting a check for 60k.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Who's bailing? He and his agent could see at the time of signing that he'd be exposed to being cut in 2024. He's possibly more hopeful of a restructure that pays him 'money/salary' in 2023.
ZM is UFA after 24.

There is already 9 million in dead cap.

Cheaper to pay him and extend everything another 4-5 seasons.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Cheaper to pay him and extend everything another 4-5 seasons.
Not if he get's injured or if his form drops off a cliff (hardly likely, but possible), the difference would be that in 2024 the Jones would be able to save by cutting him and saving $13m salary and $1m roster bonus. He can see the rookies wanting money and what happened to Zeke, probably thinks nothing safe.

Last edited:

Sage3030

Reaction score
The contract was clear on what could and couldn't be done. The team did not violate the contract. They simply chose to exercise an option within the contract that everyone knew they had. He was paid for all services rendered up until that point.

He is now free to earn whatever money he can wherever he can. If he had market value remaining, he would be giddy from a financial perspective. Unfortunately, his market value isn't great but that has nothing to do with the contract in question.

Players do sometimes have the contractual right to remain in a contract or to opt out early. When they opt out, it is no different than this. Neither scenario should be framed as "not honoring the contract".

And was owed more money(still had years left on the contract). It seems you are ok with players being cut at anytime(with the owners not honoring be contract) but if the player says yeah, I don’t want to honor it either, that’s bad. I think it’s perfectly fair.

Sage3030

Reaction score
Yeah, in the most litigious country in the history of the world, the owners don’t honor the contracts and millionaire players just don’t sue them for no reason

That makes total sense

LOL, learn to read and think before posting

Players are cut before their contract expires every year. Maybe understand what is being said before trying and failing to hurl insults?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
we're talking about Zack Martin. He's the starting Right Guard.

kskboys

Reaction score
And was owed more money(still had years left on the contract). It seems you are ok with players being cut at anytime(with the owners not honoring be contract) but if the player says yeah, I don’t want to honor it either, that’s bad. I think it’s perfectly fair.
How in the world did you miss this? The owners are honoring the contract. They always do.
Both sides should be honoring the contract as it is written. The owners do. The players don't always.