Schools may ban chocolate milk

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Yeah. Ban chocolate milk. That should fix an "epidemic". Lets just give it to the skinny ones. They need it. The in-shape kids get a choice.

Whose gonna pay for the playground equipment reinforcement plan? After all, we have us a boneified epidemic and aging, sub-par equipment, clearly not designed for fat kids, needs dealt with. We could put signs on the equipment as to thwart the 'fatty's' from using it. Cheaper.

Some drudged up idea brought up at a PTA meeting by a stay at home mother whom, by the way, is more than likely a functional drunk and bored to tears. I am embarrassed to be a human being some days.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Seven;3947548 said:
Some drudged up idea brought up at a PTA meeting by a stay at home mother whom, by the way, is more than likely a functional drunk and bored to tears.
:laugh2:

VietCowboy

Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.
Reaction score
theogt;3947360 said:
Actually, it hasn't. Studies show that diseases "related" (I use that term VERY loosely) to obesity account for only a minimal amount of the additional health care expenditures in the US as compared to other developed nations.

The concern about being overweight is about not looking pretty, but people will disguise it as a major health concern or "epidemic" so that they sound less conceited.

I absolutely LOVE these studies about how kids are becoming obese. Here's a snippet from one:

Yes, 38% of blacks and Hispanics have higher BMI's than 85% of their peers.

Math fail.

Obesity currently accounts for almost 10% of DIRECT medical care cost of ALL medical cost, and is estimated to increase to 21%. This is not considering ANY INDIRECT stuff like loss of time on the job and co-morbidity issues stemming from obesity. That is by no means "minimal."

cite: Obesity (2008) 16 10, 2323–2330. doi:10.1038/oby.2008.351
"Total health-care costs attributable to obesity/overweight would double every decade to 860.7–956.9 billion US dollars by 2030, accounting for 16–18% of total US health-care costs. "

As for your failed math, I actually went back to the original study, then followed up by reading the CDC statistics that the study is based on, and found out:

Epidemic Increase in Childhood Overweight, 1986-1998
JAMA (the study the AP article is based on)

The 85 percentile for obesity and overweight was using a reference population in the 60's and 70's. So, in actuality, when you say 38% of AA and Hispanic kids are overweight, meaning in the 85th percentile or higher, it is based on a growth model from the 60's and 70's

Here ya go:

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/can-all-kids-be-above-average-1721008

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
VietCowboy;3947557 said:
Obesity currently accounts for almost 10% of DIRECT medical care cost of ALL medical cost, and is estimated to increase to 21%. This is not considering ANY INDIRECT stuff like loss of time on the job and co-morbidity issues stemming from obesity. That is by no means "minimal."

cite: Obesity (2008) 16 10, 2323–2330. doi:10.1038/oby.2008.351
"Total health-care costs attributable to obesity/overweight would double every decade to 860.7–956.9 billion US dollars by 2030, accounting for 16–18% of total US health-care costs. "
This is incorrect. The study you're referencing states that "obesity-related" diseases, which includes heart disease and diabetes, etc., accounting for 9% of health care expenses. These diseases may or may not be the result of obesity. Thin people can and do have heart disease and diabetes. Thus, your statement that obesity itself currently accounts for almost 10% of direct medical care cost is absolutely incorrect.

MetalHead

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;3947369 said:
If you're 5'9" and 205 lbs. you're considered obese. Not overweight. OBESE. Oh, and by the way, 5'9" and 180 lbs is still considered OVERWEIGHT.

The only epidemic is rampant stupidity.

My advice is enjoy life in moderation and stop the incessant worrying about appearances.

Standing ovation.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
This board sure is rife with amateur nutritionists and statisticians.

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
VietCowboy;3947557 said:
Obesity currently accounts for almost 10% of DIRECT medical care cost of ALL medical cost,

Who's medical costs?

VietCowboy

Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.
Reaction score
theogt;3947573 said:
This is incorrect. The study you're referencing states that "obesity-related" diseases, which includes heart disease and diabetes, etc., accounting for 9% of health care expenses. These diseases may or may not be the result of obesity. Thin people can and do have heart disease and diabetes. Thus, your statement that obesity itself currently accounts for almost 10% of direct medical care cost is absolutely incorrect.

It's obtuse for you to parse that out and for you to interpret the results to suit your views when more than one leading researcher in the field, as well as the surgeon general, have stated the cost of obesity (and most if not all use the word "epidemic" as well to describe the trend of obesity). Of course not everyone who has heart disease and diabetes is obese, genetic does play a role, but these researchers actually link all of the cost BACK to obesity, and they say obesity accounts for 10% of the health care costs.

Cardiovascular Disease alone accounts for 14-17% of medical spending. These researchers are not saying ALL CD is due to obesity obviously, or else the cost of obesity would be additive (CD + diabetes + hypertension + etc etc).

from the CDC:

http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/causes/economics.html

Medical costs associated with overweight and obesity may involve direct and indirect costs (Wolf and Colditz, 1998; Wolf, 1998). Direct medical costs may include preventive, diagnostic, and treatment services related to obesity. Indirect costs relate to morbidity and mortality costs.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
VietCowboy;3947615 said:
It's obtuse for you to parse that out and for you to interpret the results to suit your views when more than one leading researcher in the field, as well as the surgeon general, have stated the cost of obesity (and most if not all use the word "epidemic" as well to describe the trend of obesity). Of course not everyone who has heart disease and diabetes is obese, genetic does play a role, but these researchers actually link all of the cost BACK to obesity, and they say obesity accounts for 10% of the health care costs.

Cardiovascular Disease alone accounts for 14-17% of medical spending. These researchers are not saying ALL CD is due to obesity obviously, or else the cost of obesity would be additive (CD + diabetes + hypertension + etc etc).

from the CDC:

Medical costs associated with overweight and obesity may involve direct and indirect costs (Wolf and Colditz, 1998; Wolf, 1998). Direct medical costs may include preventive, diagnostic, and treatment services related to obesity. Indirect costs relate to morbidity and mortality costs.

lol, you're talking about Theo. This is what Theo does! It's pointless to argue with him about anything. He is the definition of a forum troll. :laugh2:

ShiningStar

Reaction score
nyc;3947618 said:
lol, you're talking about Theo. This is what Theo does! It's pointless to argue with him about anything. He is the definition of a forum troll. :laugh2:

normally id concur, having talked with Theo lots, but on this one i think hes more on the correct side.

Reading both sides Theo is correct, the studies forget to take in account that skinny people have problems too, but the studies really target certain people.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
VietCowboy;3947615 said:

from the CDC:

If you'd like to a point to an actual study that shows that 10% of medical costs are directly due to obesity, please feel free to do so. Until then, I'll ignore your unsubstantiated claims.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
nyc;3947618 said:
Seems like all you ever do is personally insult people.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
Doomsday101;3947661 said:
[youtube]RjKFlusW-Xc[/youtube]

I raise my hand for chocolate milk :D

I'll do anything Rebecca Romijn wants.

:thumbup:

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Doomsday101;3947661 said:
[youtube]RjKFlusW-Xc[/youtube]

I raise my hand for chocolate milk :D

This video is disingenuous. It features Shawn Johnson's mother, and everyone knows Shawn Johnson is not human. She's a hobbit. And hobbits subsist off chocolate and sugar. It's simply not a fair comparison.;)

Staggerlee

chip_gilkey
Reaction score
I never ever drank the milk during school lunches anyway. I always just bought a water or filled up my water bottle at the fountain before lunch.

But I do think this ban is a load of crap. Try attacking the real problem (diet and inactivity at home) rather than at school. Sure 10g of sugar is going to make the kids fat not the 8 hours of t.v. and pizza that mom and dad order for dinner every other night.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
Not all sugar is equally bad (in terms of what food it is in). I think there are a lot worse things than chocolate milk, but to be honest it would probably be healthier if it was regular, not low fat milk. If it's part of a meal that contains protein and vegetables, chocolate milk isn't going to make highly active kids fat.