Twitter: Scott Linehan: It starts with me

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Translation:

"Jerry said I'm getting fired anyways at the end of the year, but he promised me if I made myself look accountable and protected Dak/Garrett, then he'd put a good word in for me around the league to get another job somewhere."
LOL!

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Just a quick search and you have a statement like this from 2017 from Marinelli before the season started:

"Probably not, not that I can remember,'' Marinelli said entering Sunday night's game against the New York Giants. "But I think part of our system is it's our job to get these men prepared.

"We have no excuses, none as coaches. They reflect us. If the reflection isn't good, then that's on us.''

Here's Scott Linehan after the Texans' loss when Allen Hurns lashed out about the play-call on an interception:

“I’m the first one, if you had a better play against that coverage, to say we could’ve had a better call there,” Linehan said. “You can put that more on me. You don’t have to put that on Allen Hurns.”

Here's Garrett when he was coordinator in 2010 taking blame:

Dallas Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett is taking the blame for trying an ill-fated play at the end of the first half Sunday against the Washington Commanders instead of having Tony Romo take a knee.

"I called the play," Garrett said Wednesday. "It's my fault."

I could keep going, but hopefully this will suffice.

Coaches, especially coordinators, taking blame when their unit isn't playing well is perfectly normal. Fans are reading way too much into this.
That had to be a malfunction in his robotic circuitry. Did anyone check for errors in his event log?

kskboys

Reaction score
Beam me up, Scotty!!!!!!!!!!! We've known this for a long, long time.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
Just this week though bc THIS week is accountability next week could be like a whats your favorite movie themed week

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
JG is the main problem. Its his playbook that Linehan uses. Even his playcalling is worst than Linehan. Thats why they took that away from him.

Too many people here seem to use the terms "playbook" and "play calling" as if they are the same thing. They aren't. I'm sure people would find the Cowboys "playbook" isn't dramatically different than a lot of others, but which plays from the playbook to use, and when to use them can vary greatly.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Just in case y'all were wondering... It has been confirmed. Water is indeed wet! Happy Friday!

R185Ph6.jpg
GROL!!!!!

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Too many people here seem to use the terms "playbook" and "play calling" as if they are the same thing. They aren't. I'm sure people would find the Cowboys "playbook" isn't dramatically different than a lot of others, but which plays from the playbook to use, and when to use them can vary greatly.

You sure about this, Clarke?
2 teams can have similar plays in their playbooks, yet the personnel (with different abilities), alignments, yardage needed and reads on the defense can alter the design, intent and outcome of the plays.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Just in case y'all were wondering... It has been confirmed. Water is indeed wet! Happy Friday!

R185Ph6.jpg

Ding ding ding ...

- We've got a winner ! What do we have for Garrett, Johnny ? !

- We've have got a brand new scapegoat ! State of the art ...

giphy-downsized.gif

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You sure about this, Clarke?
2 teams can have similar plays in their playbooks, yet the personnel (with different abilities), alignments, yardage needed and reads on the defense can alter the design, intent and outcome of the plays.
I didn't say every playbook was identical, or that there are no variations of plays or that players on different teams don't have different abilities. As for different circumstances requiring different play designs, those variations are in every playbook. It may look like it sometimes, but the Cowboys didn't somehow forget when they drew up their playbook that the needs on 3rd and 1 are different than on 2nd and 9.

TwentyOne

Reaction score

R185Ph6.jpg

It always does.

Have some charakter and quit your job. Give back all.the money you earned in the last few years.

Prove what you just said. Else its just a brain-fart that smells ugly....

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
You think a TE is the answer to solving this clusterfudge? OK then.
It's the same everydown te scheme we've been watching for Garretts reign. There's never enough offense on the field on 3rd down to beat the Blitz since we haven't had a great te in like 5 years. And they never substitute for down and distance.

The tes bring our passing attack down. They don't make enough TDS to warrant any passing involvement in most passing situations. But we play them as if their doing something significant even though the stats show no receiving traits whatsoever.

Completions only get you field goals and L's. The entire te core covering 4 roster spots has 1 td all year and there is no glaring need for them to use better rbs and wrs if the can't get them to produce. Whose gonna score all these TDS we're missing out on?

#82 could move the chains in the regular season and was great at selling groceries at your local grocery store but he never could sell enough TDS or plays over 20 yards lately to warrant playing every snap for several years.

He got 4 TDS a year playing every snap and 3 plays over 20 yards last year which is a mismanagement of the te position in relation to snapcounts.

You call a 3 yard pass to the te that gets 6-8 yards on 3rd and 10 a completion on paper but when we lost the last game of the year and didn't make the playoffs you remember those padded completions that we're just insignificant gimmes. Lol.

They would throw him out there on 3rd and 15 and he'd always come back w losing stats and a few insignificant TDS against our division rivals and we'd lose the game and eliminated because we never had an arsenal of complete tes receivers and rb who work in any tandems.

There's always a James Hanna Gavin Escobar, John Phillips, Vickers, Clutts, Harris, Swaim, Jarwin, schultz, a washed up # 82 or a combination of 2 of these one dimensional blockers in every passing snap and it only makes us less potent because we do it on every snap with no chance of fooling anybody.

Our te core has scored 1 rinky dink TD because the defender fell down and I'm supposed to be buying that he's the everydown #82 in his prime who could score 8 TDS. I'm not drinking that Koolaid anymore .

Let's use Jarwin instead of a wr or rb because he's gonna score in the red zone in Jerry's world against tennessee but it never happens. Nothing good ever happens to our tes. The offense is Allergic to scoring because they got a bunch of giraffes they call tes that couldn't even score at the collegiate level.

Then we got a gazelle in Austin and can't substitute for swaim on a couple of series to see what a faster receiver looks like

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It always does.

Have some charakter and quit your job. Give back all.the money you earned in the last few years.

Prove what you just said. Else its just a brain-fart that smells ugly....

lol - right. And if you make a mistake at work give back a day's pay, or week or month depending on how big the mistake was. It doesn't work that way with anyone else in any other line of work, so these kinds of comments are ridiculous.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Have you ever heard Garrett say anything remotely close to what Linehan just said?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Have you ever heard Garrett say anything remotely close to what Linehan just said?

Garrett says "we" have to do better and get better and be better prepared. I really think people read to much into that though. He says "we" whether he thinks he is at fault or a coach or a player. That's his philosophy - that it takes a collective effort from everyone. I have no problem with that. I only have a problem with the lack of results. I feel no ill will toward Garrett at all, or Linnehan for that matter. I just want them replaced.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
We won't win 3 more games with these tes if we play them like we do. Lmao. Its so sad that the Everydown Te scheme is officially over in Big D. It was great getting close with Dak and Tony and #82 but we're officially inept as an offense when we got a permanent everydown te that's not required to put up a minimum benchmark offensively and hasn't earned anything on paper.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
No you know what. It was almost worth a censure from the mods. But Linehan isn’t worth it