Sean McVay is what we wanted JG to be

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Please.. Garrett has had plenty of say over personnel.

He got Romo kicked of town. That’s about as much say as you could possibly get.

Not true, Jerry had the final say. He made it very clear Romo's decision would his and his alone. Sure I find the quote...

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
Not to mention the Rams are one blown call away from losing. McVay is good, I'll give him that but I'll rather wait a few years before crowning him a genius. In fact, give me Payton or Andy Reid any day.
Dont get me wrong, Id take Reid in a heartbeat, but Andy Reid would have most people calling for his head too. He has the rep as the Marty Schottenheimer of the 2000s. Its unfair and I think he gets over the hump in the next year or 2 with Mahomes. However, Philly did win a championship after he was gone

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Not true, Jerry had the final say. He made it very clear Romo's decision would his and his alone. Sure I find the quote...

Jerry said it but Romo clearly still has a good relationship with the owner and not JG.

Jerry does have the last say on everything but they make most decisions as a group.

He’s most probably just protecting his coach because Jerry made it clear that he was in favor of going back to Romo.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Dont get me wrong, Id take Reid in a heartbeat, but Andy Reid would have most people calling for his head too. He has the rep as the Marty Schottenheimer of the 2000s. Its unfair and I think he gets over the hump in the next year or 2 with Mahomes. However, Philly did win a championship after he was gone

I was calling for us to hire Andy Reid the day Philly fired him.

He’s struggling to win a Super Bowl but my gosh is he a great coach. His offenses are so hard to defend and now he has a wizard at QB.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
The rams changed their fortunes rather quickly.
So We Heard!:lmao2:
HXvAE4O.jpg

_sturt_

Reaction score
wait. is it not JG's defense because it failed. I thought it was Kris "the genius" Richards? .....oh, wait never mind. when we do good its Kris' defense, but when it sucks its JG! got it

I think I'm not communicating well.

I'm saying that the applause McVay is receiving right now as he prepares for a Super Bowl wouldn't be happening if our defense had shown up and did to LAR what they'd done to other offenses this season, and especially so in the last half of the season.

So, the premise of the OP appears to be that McVay is vastly superior to Garrett, and I don't buy it. It was a bad day to have a bad day, but bad days do happen, and our defense had a bad day... and even so, we were within striking distance to still pull out a win in the 4thQ.

Did the Rams offense have something to do with our defense's bad day, absolutely. I take nothing away from McVay. But it was a combination of both... they played well, and we didn't on Rams possessions... and again, even so, we were in the game.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
I was calling for us to hire Andy Reid the day Philly fired him.

He’s struggling to win a Super Bowl but my gosh is he a great coach. His offenses are so hard to defend and now he has a wizard at QB.

The fact Dallas doesnt employ the pick plays reid (and NE) perfected is grounds enough for me. Yesterday on the wheel route Kelsey Mahomes overthrow getting pressured, Kesey took out both defenders and started celebrating before the ball was halfway to WIlliams. Reid, designs plays to the talent he has and teaches technique like a savant.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Perhaps, but their offense doesnt make many huge mistakes with false starts, procedure, holding etc. They seems to have great discipline (actually all 4 teams did yesterday on offense) and they are pretty reliable at getting chunk plays which is really what offenses have to have in the NFL
If you look at what McVay and Bellichick did yesterday on offense, they made the audible and protection calls easily, and had quick snap on most plays because of noise. All the Rams did was come up to the formation and snap the ball. No screaming out this and that, literally causing false starts.
You have to help your offense.

Instead of calling out blitzes, you throw a quick hand signal and get the ball out. Instead of calling out blitzes, your offensive line is built like New England's line that can handle any blitz, just like the Rams line. Those guys allowed both QBs plenty of time.

Dre11

Reaction score
Yet had the ref just made the right call, he would be home

Sydla

Reaction score
Unitl he gets blown out by the patriots. Last year Peterson was the greatest thing every and now it's McVay. Flavor of the month...

It would be really awesome if our head coach was once the "flavor of the month".

_sturt_

Reaction score
If we weren’t allowed to talk about coaching then CowboysZone would lose 95% of their content.

Everyone knows our coach doesn’t maximize talent and it’s the most frustrating thing as a fan when the organization refuses to go out and get one of the best coaches.

"Allowed?"

...hehe...

I am one of the last people to ever endorse mods and admins telling visitors what they can argue about... disagreement is the heart and soul of any viable discussion board... group-think is boring, and both majority and minority opinions ought to be enthusiastically "allowed."

But the mantra is right that says just having the right to say something doesn't mean it ought to be said.

Some personal, thoughtful discernment should filter out what is unworthy and unproductive so that only the worthy and productive stuff gets oxygen.

To the larger point about coaching...

If only it was so easy to know who would be top tier head coaches before they became top tier head coaches... and, just as importantly but under appreciated it seems... if only it was so easy to know who is a poser in that top tier of head coaches, but who actually is an under-achiever given the talent supplied to them... and, if only it was so easy to get one of the authentic top tier head coaches to leave their place of royalty where they're currently employed, where they're comfortable and well-compensated.

But it's not.

In our own history, Tom Landry serves as testimony that, rather, sometimes top tier coaches aren't so obvious, often because of the other factors that naturally have impact on the final W/L results.... and on the other end of his career, conventional wisdom holds that had some other team employed him in the mid-to-late 80s, they would have been woefully disappointed with the outcome of that move.

Dre11

Reaction score
And if the ref had made the right call, McVay still would have accomplished more in 2 season than Garrett has done in 8 full ones.

So what, he's still be at home with no rings, that's what you've been preaching. He also took over a team loaded with talent.

cern

Reaction score
Unitl he gets blown out by the patriots. Last year Peterson was the greatest thing every and now it's McVay. Flavor of the month...
he'll be up against the greatest hc ever in the nfl and arguably the best qb ever in the nfl. andy reid and the high flying mahones found that out yesterday. but it should still be one hell of a super bowl.

Sydla

Reaction score
So what, he's still be at home with no rings, that's what you've been preaching. He also took over a team loaded with talent.

And the excuses for Garrett and downplays of what other coaches accomplished continues on.

It really is going to be interesting to see if some of you guys ever actually wake up to the reality that is our head coach. Like is there a point in time when you just say, "You know what? This guy isn't as good as I thought and maybe we should move on............"

10 years? 15 years? Two decades? Or will it always be that Garrett was good but circumstances and luck just worked against him?

McVay might still be at home with no rings if the ref had made the right call but he'd have proven in 2 years he's more likely to win one than the guy we've employed for 8.

Common Sense

Reaction score

Your phone is doing weird things. It somehow autocorrected “took over a 4-12 team” to “took over a team loaded with talent.”

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

He took over a mediocre football team with a QB who was headed to bustville and elevated them with legit coaching. He embraces the chess side of football and his team has benefited just like the Cowboys or any other team would if they had a good coach like this.

JG's lack of success isn't an accident. You don't go this long without playoff success by mistake.