Sean McVay is what we wanted JG to be

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
I think I'm not communicating well.

I'm saying that the applause McVay is receiving right now as he prepares for a Super Bowl wouldn't be happening if our defense had shown up and did to LAR what they'd done to other offenses this season, and especially so in the last half of the season.

So, the premise of the OP appears to be that McVay is vastly superior to Garrett, and I don't buy it. It was a bad day to have a bad day, but bad days do happen, and our defense had a bad day... and even so, we were within striking distance to still pull out a win in the 4thQ.

Did the Rams offense have something to do with our defense's bad day, absolutely. I take nothing away from McVay. But it was a combination of both... they played well, and we didn't on Rams possessions... and again, even so, we were in the game.
Goes both ways, if the dallas offense had gone 6-8 scoring drives and gotten to 31 points, it wouldnt have mattered either. Depends on what point we are ceding, Rams have a better offense or Rams have a better defense or both. If both, Then the RAms have an accelerated offense.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
If you look at what McVay and Bellichick did yesterday on offense, they made the audible and protection calls easily, and had quick snap on most plays because of noise. All the Rams did was come up to the formation and snap the ball. No screaming out this and that, literally causing false starts.
You have to help your offense.

Instead of calling out blitzes, you throw a quick hand signal and get the ball out. Instead of calling out blitzes, your offensive line is built like New England's line that can handle any blitz, just like the Rams line. Those guys allowed both QBs plenty of time.
Bingo. That is the difference in a regular season coach and a playoff coach

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Here we are after 9yrs.

Jason Garrett the true....

Man-genius

2.gif

giphy.gif

cern

Reaction score
his best speeches come after losses, not victories.

Sydla

Reaction score
Your phone is doing weird things. It somehow autocorrected “took over a 4-12 team” to “took over a team loaded with talent.”

This is an oft used trick by Garrett supporters when the talk turns to examples of coaches that turned teams around almost immediately and certainly quicker than Garrett. They claim that Coach A or Coach B took over a much better team than Garrett, therefore, it was easy for him to have success right away.

They did it with Pederson last year............. that the Eagles were loaded and really, really, really deep. It wasn't that the Eagles staff did a great job winning with all the injuries they had, it was that they just got lucky that the Eagles GM built them a ridiculously deep team.

Common Sense

Reaction score
This is an oft used trick by Garrett supporters when the talk turns to examples of coaches that turned teams around almost immediately and certainly quicker than Garrett. They claim that Coach A or Coach B took over a much better team than Garrett, therefore, it was easy for him to have success right away.

To be fair, Garrett has done something McVay’s never done. He took a 12-4 team and turned it back around into a 4-12 team. Maybe we should have given McVay that one?

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
the coaching difference between the rams and the cowboys was pretty obivious in the playoff game one coach knew what he wanted to do the other thought maybe he knew

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score

They did it with Pederson last year............. that the Eagles were loaded and really, really, really deep. It wasn't that the Eagles staff did a great job winning with all the injuries they had, it was that they just got lucky that the Eagles GM built them a ridiculously deep team.
The bottom line is, it's been over 10 years and we have nothing to show for it. That does all the talking by itself.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Here we are after 9yrs.

I’m no Garrett fan but to be fair, Jerry never gave hm a top 3 pick at QB and then go hog wild with top name high priced free agents. Not that it probably would have made a difference but Garrett and McVay have not been dealt similar hands.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I think I'm not communicating well.

I'm saying that the applause McVay is receiving right now as he prepares for a Super Bowl wouldn't be happening if our defense had shown up and did to LAR what they'd done to other offenses this season, and especially so in the last half of the season.

So, the premise of the OP appears to be that McVay is vastly superior to Garrett, and I don't buy it. It was a bad day to have a bad day, but bad days do happen, and our defense had a bad day... and even so, we were within striking distance to still pull out a win in the 4thQ.

Did the Rams offense have something to do with our defense's bad day, absolutely. I take nothing away from McVay. But it was a combination of both... they played well, and we didn't on Rams possessions... and again, even so, we were in the game.
ok, that makes more sense. and I agree, there is no superiority. btw, people forget McVay got a pretty nice team to start with, having Goff the #1 over all pick at QB. Having Gurley, second only to Zeke, a great OL, and nice bunch of WRs and Aaron Donald, probably the best DL in football right now. he traded and or paid for a few new toys, so he had open checkbook to get Cooks, Peters, Talib, Suh, . then they traded for Fowler as well, mid season.he has some toys to play with. I think overall a much better roster than the cowboys

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
He took over a mediocre football team with a QB who was headed to bustville and elevated them with legit coaching. He embraces the chess side of football and his team has benefited just like the Cowboys or any other team would if they had a good coach like this.

JG's lack of success isn't an accident. You don't go this long without playoff success by mistake.
medicore? so Goff as first overall pick is medicore talent? Gurley? Brooks? a very good OL, those WRs...Donald...those are medicore ....OOOOKKKK

Gameover

Reaction score
McVay has more talent on his defensive line.

That is what separated the two teams.

Cowboys win that game if they were merely decent against the run

One day the Cowboys might invest in some real DT

Common Sense

Reaction score
medicore? so Goff as first overall pick is medicore talent? Gurley? Brooks? a very good OL, those WRs...Donald...those are medicore ....OOOOKKKK

Dude, they were literally 4-12 the year before McVay showed up. Goff was terrible. You don’t get to rewrite history just to fit your narrative.

Sydla

Reaction score

He certainly inherited some good players but not a good football team.

It's not like Garrett was handed chopped liver himself when he took over............. Ware, Romo, Witten, etc. One of the great myths is that Garrett took over this joke of a talented team. They were just a team that was broken by Phillips, very much like how the Rams were broken under Fisher.

CPanther95

Reaction score
Garrett has a chance next season to join the exclusive "Back-to-Back Playoff Appearance" club in just his 10th year. How many of these other flash-in-the-pan coaches wish they could boast that?

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
I’m no Garrett fan but to be fair, Jerry never gave hm a top 3 pick at QB and then go hog wild with top name high priced free agents. Not that it probably would have made a difference but Garrett and McVay have not been dealt similar hands.
There are cadres of people on this board that will tell you Dak and/or Romo are better than Goff or Wentz and post endless stats to prove it. And for the record, Goff was considered an early bust under Fisher. the same year DAk put up his best year.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Goes both ways, if the dallas offense had gone 6-8 scoring drives and gotten to 31 points, it wouldnt have mattered either. Depends on what point we are ceding, Rams have a better offense or Rams have a better defense or both. If both, Then the RAms have an accelerated offense.

To be clear... our offense didn't play uncharacteristically better or worse than they'd been playing.

Our defense did.

And I don't know how the Rams could have played much better on offense.

So, the point being... if you actually did merely stop them 2-3 times and give the ball to our offense, conventionally speaking we score at least one more time if not twice, and they score at least one less time, maybe twice.

Common Sense

Reaction score
Garrett has a chance next season to join the exclusive "Back-to-Back Playoff Appearance" club in just his 10th year. How many of these other flash-in-the-pan coaches wish they could boast that?

At this point, there are two types of Cowboys fans — unhappy fans, and ones with Stockholm Snydrome.

Sydla

Reaction score
There are cadres of people on this board that will tell you Dak and/or Romo are better than Goff or Wentz and post endless stats to prove it. And for the record, Goff was considered an early bust under Fisher. the same year DAk put up his best year.

The other thing that often has me chuckling and will repeat itself this year as it has for every season is that leading up to the 2019 season, some of these same people will bristle if there is any Cowboys fan that doesn't think the Cowboys are one of the most talented teams in the league. That if a fan thinks they won't make the playoffs or will be an early exit, they are unreasonable and ridiculous.

Then the season happens, we don't make the playoffs or bow out early and their battle cry is suddenly, hey, how can you blame Garrett? His roster isn't complete and how can you expect him to compete with more talented teams?

Wash, rinse and repeat.