Sean Payton would be MM 2.0

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think their resumes are almost identical, BUT the biggest difference, I believe, is Payton's personality would allow him to succeed in spite of the Jones's where Mike cannot. And Dak needs a mentor and does not have one currently.

tunahelper

Reaction score
Not a single thing you mentioned proves Payton has forgot more than Mike has ever known. Not one single thing.

Fact is Mike kept this team together when everything that could go wrong did in his first year. This year he led them to a 12-5 season. Players seem to like him and they play hard. Is he perfect? Far from it, but we all have warts.

At some point over the last 26 years we need to stop blaming the coaches, they don't play the games. We keep employing stupid players and this is our reward.

I'm by no means a huge MM fan, just think this whole changing coaches again is silly. Until the Jones boys leave or we learn to get smart players nothing will change.

Debate Rodgers then:
“Mike has a low football IQ, and that used to always bother Aaron,” a source told Tyler Dunne. “He’d say Mike has one of the lowest IQs, if not the lowest IQ, of any coach he’s ever had.”

tunahelper

Reaction score
> source says

You folks kept posting this as if it came directly from Rodgers.

Well many players are on record saying Rodgers didn't think much of MM. I wish he wasn't a lap dog for Jerry, but he is.

Payton would be his own man and MM is just happy being HC of Dallas. Keep hoping for more out of MM, but it will not happen unfortunately.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Well many players are on record saying Rodgers didn't think much of MM. I wish he wasn't a lap dog for Jerry, but he is.

Payton would be his own man and MM is just happy being HC of Dallas. Keep hoping for more out of MM, but it will not happen unfortunately.

What players?

And I've made my thoughts on McCarthy clear. He's a tier 2 type of coach. He's not Belichick or Reid. He's there with Arian and Payton.

ghst187

Reaction score
explain 3 7-9 season in row with qb like brees? you call that overachieving i say its underachieving.
there not a big enough gap between MM and Payton to quantify paying 2 contract buyouts and draft picks IMHO..

yes SP might be a slightly Better gameday coach because hes bit more hands-on vs workaround maybe hes slight upgrade However not at that price hes not 2 contract buyout's and high draft picks better..thats the debate.. its A factor.

we get 12-5 seasons 6-0 in the division and very much improved be the last 2 seasons' and now everyone wants to fire our HC and pay his buyout , Payton's buyout, and add picks in for what would be maybe a slight improvement?

hes not available this year anyway so lets stop the nonsense on what might happen in 2023 Earl Thomas all over again he was Not worth it as many other suggestions around here are al emotional and no real thought with common practical sense being the used.

many coaches like Meyer and players that fans clamored for were not worth it was time proved out.

we have 2022 to worry about not some fantasy in 2023..

Didnt say it was worth giving up the farm, you actually made my points about the ways SP is better. I think MM is much better than JG, but I think SP is much better than MM.
I think next year is going to be a wash anyway because our cap situation and all the FAs…I expect SP to be our coach in ‘23

blueblood70

Reaction score
Didnt say it was worth giving up the farm, you actually made my points about the ways SP is better. I think MM is much better than JG, but I think SP is much better than MM.
I think next year is going to be a wash anyway because our cap situation and all the FAs…I expect SP to be our coach in ‘23
MUCH isnt agreed upon word for me BUT marginally sure depending on compensation.

Dre11

Reaction score
How did the Saints do with playing 4 QB's this year and in salary cap hell? Saints nearly made the playoffs and went 9-8. How did Dallas do under MM with backups last year? Worse defense in franchise history.

I don't care what he did in 1 year when the teams in the nfc were almost all lumped together except the top , even the wft was still in until the week before the last. He has 3 7-9 records on his resume with a prime Brees. His team lost out on a superbowl because he didn't know how to run out a clock.

tunahelper

Reaction score
I don't care what he did in 1 year when the teams in the nfc were almost all lumped together except the top , even the wft was still in until the week before the last. He has 3 7-9 records on his resume with a prime Brees. His team lost out on a superbowl because he didn't know how to run out a clock.

Enjoy MM and we will not play deep into the playoffs. I hope I am wrong, but I wouldn't bet against it.

tunahelper

Reaction score
What players?

And I've made my thoughts on McCarthy clear. He's a tier 2 type of coach. He's not Belichick or Reid. He's there with Arian and Payton.

We can agree to disagree. Like players some coaches make a team better. I think MM is more like Garrett. Good organizational skills, but fails to impact the teams performance.

Payton makes an impact. He organizes and has the ability to implement effective strategy that impacts games.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Same resume. But more importantly, look at that gut!! He has clearly chunked out and his comments about being ok with completely lost. No thank you. Payton would clearly not be an upgrade from McFatty.

Sean Payton is one of the top 5 offensive minds that ever stalked an NFL sideline. He is legitimately a football genius, and a sure fire HOFer. I would hardly say that about MM. The 2 could not be more different.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Sean Payton is one of the top 5 offensive minds that ever stalked an NFL sideline. He is legitimately a football genius, and a sure fire HOFer. I would hardly say that about MM. The 2 could not be more different.

What makes Payton a top 5 offensive mind?