Sean Payton would be MM 2.0

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
Disagree. Sean Payton knows how to scheme his WRs open.

Let's compare Coop, Cee Dee and Mike Thomas:

2019 MT - 185 targets, 147 catches, 1,725 yards, 11.6ypc

2020 AC - 130 targets, 92 catches, 1,114 yards, 12.1ypc

2021 CD - 120 targets, 79 catches, 1,102 yards, 13.9ypc

With how good Cee Dee is, I don't see Coop getting 185 targets. But I don't see Coop being underutilized with Sean onboard. I highly doubt Coop is let go.

My not so hot take: Coop is better than Mike Thomas. Mike was used better than Coop was.

Sean Payton does more with less better than Mike McCarthy. He would unleash Coop and Cee Dee IMO. Sean >> Mike

Agreed and thats what people don't get. If he even does "a little bit more" than McCarthy or is slightly better then we are still playing right now. We went into a playoff game unprepared, unable to adjust to the opponent, overly nervous, and with sub par qb play. If Peyton is even slightly better in those aspects again we are still playing.

Loso86

Reaction score
Which yea, that's great, but there's no reason McCarthy shouldn't have been afforded that given his resume
No no no McCarthy is lazy and chose not too. Don't let the people that Hate JJ make you think he forced KM. MM had all the pull of his Staff AND its been said that he made the statement when asked about the offense that its KM concern not his lol

lqmac1

Reaction score
....that Super Bowl is recent and he just now got a transcending QB. He had Vick for a year and McNabb (good not great) for a while. Not the same.

And someone else tried this BS yesterday. That was the NFC championship game - they still failed in overtime and what about all the others seasons after 2009? Payton didn't do anything with it. Actually, he went 7-9 for three straight seasons WITH Brees.
Actually one of those seasons was when he was suspended and the other one Brees got injured.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
You don't? They both had HOF QBs for most of their HC careers, both had failing seasons with said HOF QBs, flubs in the playoffs with said HOF. Their overall records are similar and appearances in championships, etc.

They aren't that far apart. Andy Reid is above both Payton and McCarthy, in my opinion and the way the NFL is now suits his style far more than it used to.

The perception of them is far different, and not just among fans. I've heard guys like Jay Glazer say that Payton is considered a top 5 coach, I've never heard anyone say that about McCarthy.

What sets Andy Reid above them? Same winning %, same playoff record, only one SB in 23 years of coaching.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
The perception of them is far different, and not just among fans. I've heard guys like Jay Glazer say that Payton is considered a top 5 coach, I've never heard anyone say that about McCarthy.

What sets Andy Reid above them? Same winning %, same playoff record, only one SB in 23 years of coaching.

Well getting to 3 Super Bowls in two different eras, one with a lesser QB puts him above. Reid is also a far better offensive mind in a league pandering to offenses.

And I don't care what someone Glazer says. Who gives a crap? The results for both McCarthy and Payton are nearly the same.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Sean was able 2 make "Quinthy" Carter an above .500 QB and made the playoffs with him. Thats no small feat. Imagine what he can do with Dak. YEAH...He's better than MM and its not even close. Then there's the fact he is a no BS guy. He's from the Parcels tree. There WILL BE DISCIPLINE if he is the HC. If we value those things and we think those things can get us 2 the promised land, u gotta pull the trigger. It doesn't behoove anyone ,waiting a year. In fact, it hurts everyone involved and it hurts the product on the field. This has to be done right now if Sean wants this gig. Next best thing would be hiring DQ as the HC. MM is just a trainwreck waiting 2 happen.

CWR

Reaction score
agree to point

hes a slight upgrade because hes bit more hands on, on the sidielines and developing players like qbs vs a Walek around that MM is but SP is not worth the price they will ask and the money in buyouts to both contracts for SLIGHT upgrade.

I couldn't care less about the money. It's completely irrelevant to building the team. We've also been hearing rumblings like the 2019 offer was a 3rd or something ridiculously cheap. Yes I'd do that all day long. As always it depends on the cost though.

lostar2009

Reaction score
I would bring him in as a OC or offensive assistant to Kellen Moore if possible. But SP is still under contract and no way im spending draft capital for him.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Exactly. That's the entire case for why Payton, with a mirror image resume, is better. People say stuff.

So if we take this stuff they say seriously a genius and an idiot provided the same results over their head coaching career. Some choose to believe that. I don't.

Payton's only the savior right now because he's not here yet.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
agree to point

hes a slight upgrade because hes bit more hands on, on the sidielines and developing players like qbs vs a Walek around that MM is but SP is not worth the price they will ask and the money in buyouts to both contracts for SLIGHT upgrade.

McCarthy walks too much?

You guys will say anything.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I couldn't care less about the money. It's completely irrelevant to building the team. We've also been hearing rumblings like the 2019 offer was a 3rd or something ridiculously cheap. Yes I'd do that all day long. As always it depends on the cost though.
inflation!!

the saints wont let him walk that easily will be higher and money does matter in business,,hate to tell you this isnt playing a game of Life or Monopoly at hoe nor is it Maden or Fantasy football,,there are considerations monetarily and draft picks and how much of an upgrade does that buy, not much IMO..SPO might be slight upgrade but not two contracts to buyout plus draft capital better..that a fact.

would be nice to have him for sure but depends on the price. when it becomes reality and not a giant rumor mill lets talk..right now SP is retired.

ghst187

Reaction score
Same resume. But more importantly, look at that gut!! He has clearly chunked out and his comments about being ok with completely lost. No thank you. Payton would clearly not be an upgrade from McFatty.

One could say Barry Switzer has similar resume and Brian Billick but the fact is that the GB that won was gonna win regardless. Payton beat a pretty great Indy team and his team overachieves, esp this year while we perennially underachieve, with no more a shining example than this year

pacy

82 WITTEN 82
Reaction score
I highly doubt that they go through the combine and draft with McCarthy and then get rid of him and hire Payton.

So if they are hiring Payton it will be in 2023.

JustChip

Reaction score
I think some of you lose sight to the fact that Payton is clearly burned out, out of shape and is rather open about how lost and unmotivated he is right now. Don't see surprised if Payton never coaches again.
Dick Vermeil?

Blackspider214

Reaction score
This what the forum has devolved into? Criticizing coaches weight?

I'll take Andy Reid and Bruce Arians, I don't care if they gain another 200 pounds. Billy is quite fat now too. Who cares?

Will Arians have Brady? Will Reid have Mahomes? If not, doesn't matter. Would not fix anything here.

CWR

Reaction score
inflation!!

the saints wont let him walk that easily will be higher and money does matter in business,,hate to tell you this isnt playing a game of Life or Monopoly at hoe nor is it Maden or Fantasy football,,there are considerations monetarily and draft picks and how much of an upgrade does that buy, not much IMO..SPO might be slight upgrade but not two contracts to buyout plus draft capital better..that a fact.

would be nice to have him for sure but depends on the price. when it becomes reality and not a giant rumor mill lets talk..right now SP is retired.

Of course money matters, but for a coach who doesn't impact our cap it's not even a consideration for fans. Lol