Sean Payton would be MM 2.0

terra

Reaction score
Same resume. But more importantly, look at that gut!! He has clearly chunked out and his comments about being ok with completely lost. No thank you. Payton would clearly not be an upgrade from McFatty.
My nominee for stupid post of the day.

TheCritic

Reaction score
I think some of you lose sight to the fact that Payton is clearly burned out, out of shape and is rather open about how lost and unmotivated he is right now. Don't see surprised if Payton never coaches again.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This what the forum has devolved into? Criticizing coaches weight?

I'll take Andy Reid and Bruce Arians, I don't care if they gain another 200 pounds. Billy is quite fat now too. Who cares?
Not any different than with Wade over at Cowboys-Forum

They ripped on Parcells man tits pretty savagely too

jujoboys

Reaction score
Why do you need a veteran coach? Arians and Reid are doing great, but they also have HOF or future HOF QBs. We getting one of them soon? Sean McVay and Kyle Shanahan will be going to their second Super Bowls depending on who wins on Sunday. Young guys with modern offenses.

And Moore is doing well for himself for being in his fourth year of coaching. He has a future. Whether that is HC or not, we'll see.

Because I don’t trust Jerry to give an inexperienced head coach the freedom to make his own choices and coach the team as he sees fit. We need a veteran coach with skins on the wall who can stand up to the Jerry.

As far as Moore goes I am not sold on him as an OC much less a HC. Every now and then he comes with a new wrinkle but he struggles to make adjustments. Also, tends to abandon the running game. In the 6 losses we averaged running the ball 15 times. That needs to be around 25 times a game. Of course I will concede that he limited by the fact our OLine seems to struggle against good teams.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Same resume. But more importantly, look at that gut!! He has clearly chunked out and his comments about being ok with completely lost. No thank you. Payton would clearly not be an upgrade from McFatty.

There's one distinct difference. Drew Brees started 59 games for the Chargers and was nothing special, so they drafted Rivers. He was a much better QB with the Saints.

Favre was already great and we never saw Rodgers look average. Drew Brees was average as a Charger. He's now a future HOFer. Was some of that Payton?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
There's one distinct difference. Drew Brees started 59 games for the Chargers and was nothing special, so they drafted Rivers. He was a much better QB with the Saints.

Favre was already great and we never saw Rodgers look average. Drew Brees was average as a Charger. He's now a future HOFer. Was some of that Payton?

Favre was looking pretty bad before McCarthy got there, it was under McCarthy that Favre had that great 2007 season. As for Brees, Brees had a lot of health issues in San Diego and his 2004 showed what he COULD be. As for Rodgers, did you see what Rodgers looked like when he first entered the league?

I know Rodgers can be pretty ego driven and a bit vindictive, but there is no doubt that McCarthy helped Rodgers improve his mechanics greatly - Gannon has said McCarthy was one of the main reasons he took his play to the next level during his time with McCarthy.

garyv

Reaction score

THis doesn't make alot of sense. The thing is McCarthy has issues with Football IQ which was stated by Arron Rodgers which is
true things like clock management and etc. This is where Payton wins. If you look at the New Orleans Saints they have been a
well rounded team both offensively and defensively they rank fairly high in both in the past. This was not the case with McCarthy.

HungryLion

Reaction score

Idk Drew Brees was the first pick in the second round. He was one of the best college QB’s maybe ever. Best in Big 10 history for sure.

he was highly rated coming out of college.

he also made a pro bowl in San Diego prior to the injury. It just took him a few years to develop once hitting the pros.

Brees becoming a hall of famer wasn’t exactly surprising given his resume entering the league. He only made it to the 2nd round because teams questioned his size.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
THis doesn't make alot of sense. The thing is McCarthy has issues with Football IQ which was stated by Arron Rodgers which is
true things like clock management and etc. This is where Payton wins. If you look at the New Orleans Saints they have been a
well rounded team both offensively and defensively they rank fairly high in both in the past. This was not the case with McCarthy.

Rodgers is a jerk and vindictive. He always has been. He used to say a bunch of crap about Favre and now he is pretty much saying he understands where Favre was coming from.

Take anything Rodgers says with a grain of salt. He's like Jerry Seinfeld, he'll hold a grudge his entire life over small trivial things.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Favre was looking pretty bad before McCarthy got there, it was under McCarthy that Favre had that great 2007 season. As for Brees, Brees had a lot of health issues in San Diego and his 2004 showed what he COULD be. As for Rodgers, did you see what Rodgers looked like when he first entered the league?

I know Rodgers can be pretty ego driven and a bit vindictive, but there is no doubt that McCarthy helped Rodgers improve his mechanics greatly - Gannon has said McCarthy was one of the main reasons he took his play to the next level during his time with McCarthy.

I agree. I think Big Mike and Payton are absout on the same level. There are a few coaches in the league that are clear cut better than them.

Their resumes are as close to identical as you can get.

same conference. Both had HoF QB’s. Damn near same results.

I also think Rodgers is the type to blame any failure on anyone else but himself. So when things didn’t go well. McCarthy was the easiest target to explain why they didn’t win more than what they did.

tunahelper

Reaction score

Payton forgot more football that massage Mike ever knew. Hopefully JJ can make this happen asap.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I know he was/is an offensive minded coach...I can see the allure, but in 13 seasons, he won a single superbowl. he had Drew Brees as his QB, a sure first ballot HOFer....everyone keeps calling him a QB whisperer, and perhaps they are insinuating he made Brees into what he was.....but then again, MM had Rodgers and trained him by the same token and measure....both only have one superbowl appearance and win.... Saints had had some of the absolute worst defenses in the league.....

so what makes Payton so much better than MM. just curious...what's the infatuation?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
agree to point

hes a slight upgrade because hes bit more hands on, on the sidielines and developing players like qbs vs a Walek around that MM is but SP is not worth the price they will ask and the money in buyouts to both contracts for SLIGHT upgrade.
so you give him credit for developing Brees?

Texas_Pete

Reaction score

Disagree. Sean Payton knows how to scheme his WRs open.

Let's compare Coop, Cee Dee and Mike Thomas:

2019 MT - 185 targets, 147 catches, 1,725 yards, 11.6ypc

2020 AC - 130 targets, 92 catches, 1,114 yards, 12.1ypc

2021 CD - 120 targets, 79 catches, 1,102 yards, 13.9ypc

With how good Cee Dee is, I don't see Coop getting 185 targets. But I don't see Coop being underutilized with Sean onboard. I highly doubt Coop is let go.

My not so hot take: Coop is better than Mike Thomas. Mike was used better than Coop was.

Sean Payton does more with less better than Mike McCarthy. He would unleash Coop and Cee Dee IMO. Sean >> Mike