Sean Payton would be MM 2.0

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
I don't see the difference

Don't get me wrong, I think they both have their own individual strengths and weakness, but in essence both are Super Bowl winning head coaches, who managed just one Super Bowl appearance with a HOF QB

I don't really judge McCarthy for that given how hard it is to get to a Super Bowl, let alone win it, so I'm obviously not judging Payton, but I just don't see Payton as a huge upgrade or really an upgrade at all

I think the difference that some people see is that Sean Payton took over a team who was regularly and historically one of the worst teams in the NFL since the franchise was established. As they were called the "Aints" and had fans who worn paper bags over their heads. He turned that franchise into consistently one of the better teams in the NFC and strong playoff contenders and also almost made the playoffs with Taysom Hill.

While McCarthy took over a franchise who already had historical greatness and success before he became their coach. And a lot still see him as the coach who could only win one Super Bowl with Rodgers. And they just believe he has underachieved with the teams he has had.

tunahelper

Reaction score
I would love to know what evidence you have to support such a statement.

MM game management issues, leading the league in penalties, offensive HC not assisting our inexperienced OC, Dallas underachieving in playoffs.

Dre11

Reaction score
THis doesn't make alot of sense. The thing is McCarthy has issues with Football IQ which was stated by Arron Rodgers which is
true things like clock management and etc. This is where Payton wins. If you look at the New Orleans Saints they have been a
well rounded team both offensively and defensively they rank fairly high in both in the past. This was not the case with McCarthy.

Lol Payton lost out on his team going to a superbowl with poor clock management

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/...-saints-win/TmCFFVb8Bfgmd4NzZFEuzI/story.html

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-orlea...sive-approach-after-fans-boo-clock-management

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...drew-brees-for-another-saints-playoff-failure

Dre11

Reaction score
MM game management issues, leading the league in penalties, offensive HC not assisting our inexperienced OC, Dallas underachieving in playoffs.

Sean had game management issues too
His team was also in the top 10 in 2020 and 6th in penalties in 2019. 1 year he had 130 penalties, which would've led the league this.

Mannix

Reaction score
Same resume. But more importantly, look at that gut!! He has clearly chunked out and his comments about being ok with completely lost. No thank you. Payton would clearly not be an upgrade from McFatty.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jenny Taft hates this!!!

UncleRico

Reaction score
Same resume. But more importantly, look at that gut!! He has clearly chunked out and his comments about being ok with completely lost. No thank you. Payton would clearly not be an upgrade from McFatty.
You’re more wrong than right

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Exactly. That's the entire case for why Payton, with a mirror image resume, is better. People say stuff.

So if we take this stuff they say seriously a genius and an idiot provided the same results over their head coaching career. Some choose to believe that. I don't.

Payton's only the savior right now because he's not here yet.

Payton is perceived as better whether he is or not. Not being fired (as a HC) vs. soon to be twice-fired McCarthy gives him a different smell.

When he comes back from this semi-retirement or whatever he's doing, he'll have plenty of options. Teams will try to hire him. McCarthy gets fired? No team is going to sniff at him as a head coach.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Payton is perceived as better whether he is or not. Not being fired (as a HC) vs. soon to be twice-fired McCarthy gives him a different smell.

When he comes back from this semi-retirement or whatever he's doing, he'll have plenty of options. Teams will try to hire him. McCarthy gets fired? No team is going to sniff at him as a head coach.

Again you bring up nothing in results. Just how you think people feel about them.

Tom Landry had to be fired before the Cowboys had any hope of winning in the 90s.

You'd think if Payton really was better you'd see some sign of it over his career.

garyv

Reaction score

garyv

Reaction score
Rodgers is a jerk and vindictive. He always has been. He used to say a bunch of crap about Favre and now he is pretty much saying he understands where Favre was coming from.

Take anything Rodgers says with a grain of salt. He's like Jerry Seinfeld, he'll hold a grudge his entire life over small trivial things.

Regardless there's alot of truth in his comments and their showing in Dallas

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
This has to be a troll post. Two coaches with SB rings, several winning seasons, among the best in NFL history, and still not good enough to be a coach. What exactly will make people happy? A resurrected Vince Lombardi?

tunahelper

Reaction score
Sean had game management issues too
His team was also in the top 10 in 2020 and 6th in penalties in 2019. 1 year he had 130 penalties, which would've led the league this.

How did the Saints do with playing 4 QB's this year and in salary cap hell? Saints nearly made the playoffs and went 9-8. How did Dallas do under MM with backups last year? Worse defense in franchise history.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
This what the forum has devolved into? Criticizing coaches weight?

I'll take Andy Reid and Bruce Arians, I don't care if they gain another 200 pounds. Billy is quite fat now too. Who cares?
:clap:So true. No one knows another fellow human' health issues. It's so ignorant putting someone down due to their weight. When I see posts as such, I know exactly the type of person/child that individual is.
It's Payton.
Not you too. We have enough forum spell cops. :laugh:

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
Not a single thing you mentioned proves Payton has forgot more than Mike has ever known. Not one single thing.

Fact is Mike kept this team together when everything that could go wrong did in his first year. This year he led them to a 12-5 season. Players seem to like him and they play hard. Is he perfect? Far from it, but we all have warts.

At some point over the last 26 years we need to stop blaming the coaches, they don't play the games. We keep employing stupid players and this is our reward.

I'm by no means a huge MM fan, just think this whole changing coaches again is silly. Until the Jones boys leave or we learn to get smart players nothing will change.

blueblood70

Reaction score
One could say Barry Switzer has similar resume and Brian Billick but the fact is that the GB that won was gonna win regardless. Payton beat a pretty great Indy team and his team overachieves, esp this year while we perennially underachieve, with no more a shining example than this year
explain 3 7-9 season in row with qb like brees? you call that overachieving i say its underachieving.
there not a big enough gap between MM and Payton to quantify paying 2 contract buyouts and draft picks IMHO..

yes SP might be a slightly Better gameday coach because hes bit more hands-on vs workaround maybe hes slight upgrade However not at that price hes not 2 contract buyout's and high draft picks better..thats the debate.. its A factor.

we get 12-5 seasons 6-0 in the division and very much improved be the last 2 seasons' and now everyone wants to fire our HC and pay his buyout , Payton's buyout, and add picks in for what would be maybe a slight improvement?

hes not available this year anyway so lets stop the nonsense on what might happen in 2023 Earl Thomas all over again he was Not worth it as many other suggestions around here are al emotional and no real thought with common practical sense being the used.

many coaches like Meyer and players that fans clamored for were not worth it was time proved out.

we have 2022 to worry about not some fantasy in 2023..

blueblood70

Reaction score
Not a single thing you mentioned proves Payton has forgot more than Mike has ever known. Not one single thing.

Fact is Mike kept this team together when everything that could go wrong did in his first year. This year he led them to a 12-5 season. Players seem to like him and they play hard. Is he perfect? Far from it, but we all have warts.

At some point over the last 26 years we need to stop blaming the coaches, they don't play the games. We keep employing stupid players and this is our reward.

I'm by no means a huge MM fan, just think this whole changing coaches again is silly. Until the Jones boys leave or we learn to get smart players nothing will change.
:thumbup: