Seems Hamlin, Tank and Killer like to party - 11/04/08

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
It was on a Friday night.

The game wasn't until Sunday @ 3:15

Sheesh give them a break.

If they did this on a Saturday night then we'd have problems but these guys go to work and then come home and have another life too.

xWraithx

Benched
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;2402487 said:
I disagree with this notion that these guys shouldn't go out and party. Now, missing a late curfew or getting falling down drunk or hanging out with unsavory characters is another thing, but believe me...this happens all of the time in the NFL. In fact, it's more rare that something like this doesn't happen. The only real difference is that Tank, Hamlin, etc. went to an official party with a Web site...which is probably BETTER because it's likely to not have those unsavory characters and trouble isn't likely to happen.

On the Friday before the Pittsburgh vs. Seattle Super Bowl, a well known starter on the Steelers (and is often treated like a God by some posters on this board) was at the same party I was at in Atlanta (when the SB was in Detroit). He showed up for awhile, didn't get stupid drunk, didn't hang out with unsavory characters and after awhile he left and I'm assuming he flew back to Detroit and played his normal game and the Steelers wound up winning the Super Bowl.

Like I said, it's more rare that players are not out partying some day during the week.

YAKUZA

:bang2: Nothing irks me more than ambiguity and assumption..... who the hell was the player? (for people that don't read minds)

2much2soon

Reaction score
If I was failing at my job, and these guys are, I'd be spending every spare minute trying to figure out what is wrong and trying to fix it.
I call BS on anybody who says these guys should have a life outside of football if that life includes partying the night before a road trip to a big game.
If you are in any other high paying, highly competitive profession, you are going to spend way more than 40 hours a week at it.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
2much2soon;2402762 said:
If I was failing at my job, and these guys are, I'd be spending every spare minute trying to figure out what is wrong and trying to fix it.
Maybe somebody can argue with that, but I can't.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
This won't be a problem when football starts being played by robots.

dest

Reaction score
I think it depends on a lot of factors, mainly natural talent. Guys like Irvin and Deion could party all night, dress for the game in the morning, and come out and dominate. I'm not saying it was the right thing to do back then, but they were some of the most talented people in the game, HoF'ers and future HoF'ers. These clowns have nowhere near the talent level, and should be spending a few more hours with their noses in the playbooks, instead of in a strippers boobage.

How many times did you see Deion throwing his hands up in the air because nobody knew their asignment, a la Hamlin?

Nav22

Reaction score
They go to a party at a strip club, and yeah man, they're definitely drinking evians all night.
Guess you don't know NFL players as well as you think you do.

Terrell Owens is a great example of a guy who will party, but will NOT touch a drop of alcohol. You'll see him with a bottle of water all night if you run into him at a club.

I've seen several athletes in clubs and in nearly all cases, they were not pounding drinks or "acting a fool" in any way, shape, or form. Harmless fun was all it was, and they usually left the club well before closing.

So excuse me for not shaking my fist angrily when I see three of our players were at a party on Halloween night.

You have no idea what they were doing. You have no idea what they were drinking. You have no idea what time they decided to call it a night. You have no idea, period.

I'll stay pissed off at things I see (or think I see) on Sundays. Because outside of that, I'm an uninformed fan and I really have no clue how this team prepares from Monday-Saturday.

I've seen more absurd knee-jerk reactions in this thread than I see after a loss on Sundays (Tank's a blood! Tank's a blood!), and that's saying a helluva lot.

SweetDC

Reaction score
2much2soon;2402762 said:
:hammer:

Most successful people know they have to go above and beyond what is expected of them to get to the top and stay there. Apparently, some members of the Cowboys team didn't get that memo.

This is a great article from Fortune magazine about the correlation between hard work and success:

What It Takes to Be Great (Link)
By Geoffrey Colvin, senior editor-at-large
October 19, 2006

Research now shows that the lack of natural talent is irrelevant to great success. The secret? Painful and demanding practice and hard work

(Fortune Magazine) -- What makes Tiger Woods great? What made Berkshire Hathaway (Charts) Chairman Warren Buffett the world's premier investor? We think we know: Each was a natural who came into the world with a gift for doing exactly what he ended up doing. As Buffett told Fortune not long ago, he was "wired at birth to allocate capital." It's a one-in-a-million thing. You've got it - or you don't.

Well, folks, it's not so simple. For one thing, you do not possess a natural gift for a certain job, because targeted natural gifts don't exist. (Sorry, Warren.) You are not a born CEO or investor or chess grandmaster. You will achieve greatness only through an enormous amount of hard work over many years. And not just any hard work, but work of a particular type that's demanding and painful...Buffett, for instance, is famed for his discipline and the hours he spends studying financial statements of potential investment targets.

No substitute for hard work

The first major conclusion is that nobody is great without work. It's nice to believe that if you find the field where you're naturally gifted, you'll be great from day one, but it doesn't happen. There's no evidence of high-level performance without experience or practice.

Reinforcing that no-free-lunch finding is vast evidence that even the most accomplished people need around ten years of hard work before becoming world-class, a pattern so well established researchers call it the ten-year rule.

Practice makes perfect

The best people in any field are those who devote the most hours to what the researchers call "deliberate practice." It's activity that's explicitly intended to improve performance, that reaches for objectives just beyond one's level of competence, provides feedback on results and involves high levels of repetition.

For example: Simply hitting a bucket of balls is not deliberate practice, which is why most golfers don't get better. Hitting an eight-iron 300 times with a goal of leaving the ball within 20 feet of the pin 80 percent of the time, continually observing results and making appropriate adjustments, and doing that for hours every day - that's deliberate practice.

Consistency is crucial. As Ericsson notes, "Elite performers in many diverse domains have been found to practice, on the average, roughly the same amount every day, including weekends."

Evidence crosses a remarkable range of fields. In a study of 20-year-old violinists by Ericsson and colleagues, the best group (judged by conservatory teachers) averaged 10,000 hours of deliberate practice over their lives; the next-best averaged 7,500 hours; and the next, 5,000. It's the same story in surgery, insurance sales, and virtually every sport. More deliberate practice equals better performance. Tons of it equals great performance.

To take a handful of examples: Winston Churchill, one of the 20th century's greatest orators, practiced his speeches compulsively. Vladimir Horowitz supposedly said, "If I don't practice for a day, I know it. If I don't practice for two days, my wife knows it. If I don't practice for three days, the world knows it." He was certainly a demon practicer, but the same quote has been attributed to world-class musicians like Ignace Paderewski and Luciano Pavarotti.

Many great athletes are legendary for the brutal discipline of their practice routines. In basketball, Michael Jordan practiced intensely beyond the already punishing team practices. (Had Jordan possessed some mammoth natural gift specifically for basketball, it seems unlikely he'd have been cut from his high school team.)

In football, all-time-great receiver Jerry Rice - passed up by 15 teams because they considered him too slow - practiced so hard that other players would get sick trying to keep up.

For most people, work is hard enough without pushing even harder. Those extra steps are so difficult and painful they almost never get done. That's the way it must be. If great performance were easy, it wouldn't be rare. Which leads to possibly the deepest question about greatness. While experts understand an enormous amount about the behavior that produces great performance, they understand very little about where that behavior comes from.

The authors of one study conclude, "We still do not know which factors encourage individuals to engage in deliberate practice." Or as University of Michigan business school professor Noel Tichy puts it after 30 years of working with managers, "Some people are much more motivated than others, and that's the existential question I cannot answer - why."

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
It always cracks me up when people, myself included cause I've done it before (but for something totally different then this), throw out the "What are you doing to go above and beyond at work" defense.

Ok #1 the times I've said that is when people are pissing and moaning about people taking vacations on their off days, during bye weeks, or when Tony Romo wasn't 24/7 football in the offseason and he dared to be anywhere but at the facility watching film and working on mechanics.

In those situations that's just plain stupid to be all over the players for daring to have lives. How many people go on vacation for a few days and spend all of it worry about what they should be doing at the office? If you are doing that then you need to get out more.

Now, that said, in this situation it's a little different. Friday night, before a game, isn't a bye week. It's not an off day. It's not the off season. Now you're monkeying around when you SHOULD be getting yourself mentally prepared to be doing your job as effectively as possible.

That would be like a moron who has to get on a plane the next day and fly to New York for a big business deal and decides he's going to go out and get hammered on Friday night and hang out with strippers. If he comes in not feeling well and does a piss poor job in his presentation and costs his bosses a client, or job, then yeah he's going to be held accountable.

The thing here is no one should be saying these guys can't have a life and can't have some fun but be smart about it and know when the time to party is and when the time to be focusing and getting down to business is.

I've heard many a coach and player say that games are not won on Sundays or Mondays that they're won with how you prepare and get down to business all throughout that week and I believe that.

Is it the end of the world that they were out partying on Halloween? No, not at all. Was it a poor decision and one they should have thought better of? Absolutely.

There is a time and place for everything.

Also, just to note, as far as my job goes they're not paying me millions of dollars to do the best job I can do every single week. If my job was giving me that kind of cash to get a job done to the best of my abilities at all times you'd better believe I'd be a lot more focused, and going well above and beyond the call of duty to have myself prepared, and getting my job done as well as humanly possible.

Big difference between someone giving you millions and someone paying you 25-30k a year. Big difference.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
SweetDC;2402965 said:

Most successful people know they have to go above and beyond what is expected of them to get to the top and stay there. Apparently, some members of the Cowboys team didn't get that memo.

Man, that is one hilarious signature you have :bow: .

SweetDC

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2402988 said:
In those situations that's just plain stupid to be all over the players for daring to have lives. How many people go on vacation for a few days and spend all of it worry about what they should be doing at the office? If you are doing that then you need to get out more.

Now, that said, in this situation it's a little different. Friday night, before a game, isn't a bye week. It's not an off day. It's not the off season. Now you're monkeying around when you SHOULD be getting yourself mentally prepared to be doing your job as effectively as possible.

That would be like a moron who has to get on a plane the next day and fly to New York for a big business deal and decides he's going to go out and get hammered on Friday night and hang out with strippers. If he comes in not feeling well and does a piss poor job in his presentation and costs his bosses a client, or job, then yeah he's going to be held accountable.

The thing here is no one should be saying these guys can't have a life and can't have some fun but be smart about it and know when the time to party is and when the time to be focusing and getting down to business is.

I've heard many a coach and player say that games are not won on Sundays or Mondays that they're won with how you prepare and get down to business all throughout that week and I believe that.

Is it the end of the world that they were out partying on Halloween? No, not at all. Was it a poor decision and one they should have thought better of? Absolutely.

There is a time and place for everything.

Also, just to note, as far as my job goes they're not paying me millions of dollars to do the best job I can do every single week. If my job was giving me that kind of cash to get a job done to the best of my abilities at all times you'd better believe I'd be a lot more focused, and going well above and beyond the call of duty to have myself prepared, and getting my job done as well as humanly possible.

Big difference between someone giving you millions and someone paying you 25-30k a year. Big difference.
As you also noted, most people do not take a vacation right before or in the middle of an important business meeting, trial, product launch, etc. Vacations usually come after to celebrate a job well done.

I do not think there is a big difference between getting paid millions and getting paid 25-30K a year. In either case, you are getting paid to do a job. Either have pride in successfully performing that job or find another line of work. I've seen unpaid volunteers have more dedication to their work than what I've seen out of this team (of highly paid millionaires) this season.

Nav22

Reaction score
As you also noted, most people do not take a vacation right before or in the middle of an important business meeting, trial, product launch, etc.
Hahaha... vacation?

Dude, they were out for a night. The jet they were on was probably no more than an hour-long flight.

As for your previous post, SweetDC, you're still knee-jerking.

You have no idea what Tank, Hamlin, and Keith did for 95% of their week. All you know is that they were out for a few hours on Halloween at a party.

For all you or I know, they were studying film and working out from 8am until 8pm that same day before leaving for the party.

PullMyFinger

Old Fashioned
Reaction score
Nav22;2403048 said:
Hahaha... vacation?

Dude, they were out for a night. The jet they were on was probably no more than an hour-long flight.

As for your previous post, SweetDC, you're still knee-jerking.

You have no idea what Tank, Hamlin, and Keith did for 95% of their week. All you know is that they were out for a few hours on Halloween at a party.

For all you or I know, they were studying film and working out from 8am until 8pm that same day before leaving for the party.

Dont you guys know that the players have to sleep at The Ranch too. <sarcasm off>

At least Killa is playing at a semi decent high level. So ill cut him some slack.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
god forbid these guys have a personal life. im guessing they're to blame for all them 3 and outs for the past month.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
I think I have a solution to all of this.

Don't stand there posing for pictures that will wind up on the internetzzz, lol.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
dcfanatic;2403265 said:
I think I have a solution to all of this.

Don't stand there posing for pictures that will wind up on the internetzzz, lol.

and then get your *** handed to you.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
LatinMind;2403113 said:
god forbid these guys have a personal life. im guessing they're to blame for all them 3 and outs for the past month.

no but how many points have we given up the past month???? there's no way you can make a case to even defend them.