Self-imposed deadline for a deal

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Exactly.

Qb's are easier then ever to find. We found Dak in the 4th round and put a nearly perfect offensive supporting cast around him.

Lamar Jackson makes about 1 or 2 reads and takes off running every play.

I see no reason to sign a Dak or Kirk Cousins to their demands when they aren't elevating the team anyways.

Pay the elite and let the Dak's walk when they ask for elite money.
I think many downplay the offense around him in his rookie season. Not many rookie QB's get to start behind the best OL in the game. Aikman got the exact opposite with the 5 Matadors. Elliott showed up for Prescott and Smith didn't even show up until after Aikman's rookie season.

Last edited:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I haven't watched Wilson or Lance at all. I think the opinion inside the NFL may be higher on Jones than the general public opinion. If I had a fairly talented team and I needed a QB to execute the offense, I would be looking closely at him. I think his floor is pretty solid.

That's a fair assessment but these teams draft for upside and Lance & Fields have more potential IMO than Mac Jones.

Mac Jones doesn't have a huge arm and he was in a perfect environment in college.

With that said.. He reads defenses and has shown the ability to use classic NFL concepts at a high level.

He's not super mobile but he can pick up some yards on the ground if need be too.

I like him but I guess i'm more scared of the non-mobile QB these days and their early success.

Who is the last pocket passer to come into the league and find success? I'm trying to think but almost all of these guys can take off and run.

Jared Goff was a draft darling.. I was not a fan but the media and draft experts were. Now look at him.

Side Note: I'm heavily biased towards mobile QB's these days. I just see them as less risky in today's NFL.

When 5'10 QB's like Kyler Murray can have success because they are just so fast it's hard for me to ignore because someone like him would be a classic NFL failure but not in today's NFL.

Josh Allen? Almost everyone didn't like him.. Poor completion percentage.. Yady yada.. But these mobile guys seem to find their way better because early on they can just run and eventually they gain confidence and figure it out along the way.

Last edited:

kevinhickey

Reaction score
If they can't reach a deal, why not let him play on the tag? He's going to be motivated to show the other teams how good he is, one of them will have him in 2022. I like the idea of having a good QB that is motivated. Plus we get at least a 3rd round comp pick when he walks. That's not "nothing" to show for it.
I would rather trade him on the non exclusive tag then just let him walk away. You want to know what teams would give up two 1st and sign him, well let’s start with Miami, even with Tua; Chicago; San Francisco;Carolina; and Washington.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First off I told you when you said a deal was already done and they were just waiting was BS. If they had a deal Jones would have wanted that to be the biggest news which it would have been like I said. I give credit for freely admitting that was wrong. That was a good thing.

Next a team can't put any conditions on a tag. The tag on how it works and any conditions are done by the league. The only deadline the Cowboys and every other team that has tagged a player is July 15th.

On last July 15th in the last hour or so Prescott was doing his own negotiating and they agreed on 35 mil a year but couldn't get the length or guaranteed amount done before the deadline so at this point I doubt that Prescott will sit by and let France again not negotiate and just stick to his demands.

Lastly the Cowboys tagged Lawrence a second time and then about 10 days later signed him to a long term contract so just because Prescott gets tagged a second time does not rule out getting a contract done.
Nothing rules out getting a contract done as long as the Cowboys give in to his demands.

Ya know, when a poster starts out a thread admitting he was wrong, it doesn't make anyone else more right to be excessive about that. Like I said, I have 0 problem with being wrong and admitting it just as I freely admit when someone changes my thinking about something. That's the beauty of the Zone, state an opinion but don't be too married to it because there will be disagreement. And some can actually do that tactfully.

Bold, speculation on your part and I'd say no since Prescott retained his agent so he didn't end run him. I think that is a story to make Prescott look better. "Honey, I was going to call but just got caught up at the office"

Creeper

Reaction score
its years. He wants a short deal. WHICH is never done. He wants his cake and wants to eat it too. He needs to knock it off. The team must come first and NO WAY will Stephen and Daddy offer a short deal. I agree in this case. Dak is screwing himself IMO. The agent needs a boot up his arse.

I know this has been reported but do we know the reports are true? I also read he wants $40 million a year. If his agent thinks any team will give Dak a 3 year deal and have to face a new contract situation in 2024 then he is nuts. No team is going to throw over $100 million at Dak and then try to build a team around him knowing he could be gone in 3 years, especially coming off a season ending serious injury.

If Dak is determined to sign a 3 year deal now, or a two year deal after playing on a franchise tag in 2021 then he is going to come out the loser in the end. He might get a couple of 1 year deals if a team has a QB go down and they need a quick solution but that is a small market but Dak is a franchise QB, or so he thinks, not a hired gun like Ryan Fitzpatrick.

If Dak is determined to get a deal that frees him again in 2024, then I want no part of him. Franchise him and try to trade him. Maybe a team out there is desperate for a QB and is willing to give him a 3 years deal. If I was GM, I would give him the non-exclusive franchise tag and let him find another team.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Nothing rules out getting a contract done as long as the Cowboys give in to his demands.

Bold, speculation on your part and I'd say no since Prescott retained his agent so he didn't end run him. I think that is a story to make Prescott look better. "Honey, I was going to call but just got caught up at the office"

Considering that you were so adamant about a deal already done and even though you've admitted it was wrong, forgive me if I don't put much stock in what you think on the Prescott situation.

GMO415

Reaction score
Everyone else gets signed. What is wrong here? This is beyond absurd now.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know this has been reported but do we know the reports are true? I also read he wants $40 million a year. If his agent thinks any team will give Dak a 3 year deal and have to face a new contract situation in 2024 then he is nuts. No team is going to throw over $100 million at Dak and then try to build a team around him knowing he could be gone in 3 years, especially coming off a season ending serious injury.

If Dak is determined to sign a 3 year deal now, or a two year deal after playing on a franchise tag in 2021 then he is going to come out the loser in the end. He might get a couple of 1 year deals if a team has a QB go down and they need a quick solution but that is a small market but Dak is a franchise QB, or so he thinks, not a hired gun like Ryan Fitzpatrick.

If Dak is determined to get a deal that frees him again in 2024, then I want no part of him. Franchise him and try to trade him. Maybe a team out there is desperate for a QB and is willing to give him a 3 years deal. If I was GM, I would give him the non-exclusive franchise tag and let him find another team.
We do not know the truth about any of this, we know what they want us to know. Wish is why some if us have to resort to making stuff up.

Creeper

Reaction score
Why do you think that is?

Is this a rhetorical question? or a serious question? The Jets have the CAP space in 2021. Dak has name recognition. I think the Jets will draft a QB but at the same time they may not want to go through the rookie QB route again.

What if the Jets offer Dallas their #2 pick and their second round pick for Dak and the Cowboys #10 pick?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Considering that you were so adamant about a deal already done and even though you've admitted it was wrong, forgive me if I don't put much stock in what you think on the Prescott situation.
You are forgiven. Now, go and sin no more.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Prescott, his agent, or both are doing their best to protect his image during this process.

I think the team has no problem taking on the perception of him not being signed as their fault but to anyone paying attention that is clearly not the reality.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Everyone else gets signed. What is wrong here? This is beyond absurd now.
because what he and his agent are asking is beyond stupid. Thats why. The years seem to be the deal killer.Until they budge off that, he wont be here.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

lol...

I don't get why people think like this but it's so common.

The you were wrong one time so anything you say going forward I don't put much stock in mentality.. My what high standards you have. I'd like to know who your credible sources are so I can be informed to perfection.

Rayman70

Reaction score

this is heading down an ugly path, Unless Daks team decides they truly want to negotiate terms that benefit both sides, this is DOA.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is this a rhetorical question? or a serious question? The Jets have the CAP space in 2021. Dak has name recognition. I think the Jets will draft a QB but at the same time they may not want to go through the rookie QB route again.

What if the Jets offer Dallas their #2 pick and their second round pick for Dak and the Cowboys #10 pick?
It's a serious question. If they move on form Darnold, that's one admission but to trade the 2nd rounder when they might have had Wilson, already a better skill set than Prescott, does that make their fanbase happy?

Prescott is a household name because of all this BS around the Joneses and negotiation and the media. His name recognition far outweighs what he has accomplished as a QB.

Creeper

Reaction score
One more point, if Dak wants a shorter deal then he has to take less money. The idea of making the deal longer allows his team to spread out the inevitable signing bonus he will want to make the deal cap friendly in the first couple of years. By demanding a 3 year deal he is screwing the team he is supposed to play for, with a certain amount of loyalty to that team.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Ninja, remains to be seen what he does because this agent is a hardliner. But if that's the case, I shop him and see if there is a team that wants him and offer that up to his agent in a tag n trade and let his agent deal with the other team.

Ninja, you could have left the adjective off flaw but I do appreciate you not going all caps on me.

I think the biggest mistake this team will have made in many years will be tagging this QB. That will do nothing but stunt the growth and stall the progress they need to make.

I agree tagging Dak is a gigantic mistake. Dak has no trade value until he can pass a rigorous physical and lower his demands. Until then he is worth nothing. I’m not paying $100K for that BMW in a garage getting fixed after an accident. You fix it first, let me test drive it, and maybe we will talk price. But, I need a vehicle now so I am not waiting. Fix it before FA and the draft or I’m spending my money on a sure thing at a much cheaper price.