Senior Bowl Chatter....

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
From Broaddus' article on the official site:

There were some really nice one-on-one battles between Alabama cornerback Cyrus Jones and Minnesota wide receiver K.J. Maye during Wednesday's practice. Jones might lack height, but he doesn't lack pop and Maye was able to match him when the two went at it. Neither player gave an inch when it came to the outside blocking drills. Each rep got to the point where I thought there was going to be a fist fight, but they managed to hold their cool. Need to do some more work on Maye as a potential Dwayne Harris-type of player for the Cowboys.
http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2...under-radar-players-watch-thursdays-practices

This was one of the few things I did notice as well out of some lackluster practices (may have been poor coverage of all the action as well).

Seeing how competitive a WR is tells me a lot. Give me a couple of Steve Smiths or Jarvis Landrys that can block and play STs, that is what I want from a WR who is not a centerpiece.

Maye popped Jones pretty well. Most of the other receivers sat back and caught the DB coming right at them.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MOBILE, Alabama -- No matter the drill the South Team's defensive line dominated during Senior Bowl practice Wednesday. And Louisville defensive tackle Sheldon Rankins, Clemson defensive tackle D.J. Reader and Eastern Kentucky defensive end Noah Spence were the main disruptors.

Rankins (6-foot-2, 305 pounds) was nearly unblockable during one-on-one drills due to his quickness off the whistle and powerful arms to drive blockers backward. He used a variety of hand moves to swat jabs and swim past the blocker's shoulder. Rankins also impressed during 11-on-11 reps due to his ball awareness, and his ability to read, detach himself from the block and make plays in the backfield. He entered this week with first-round grades and he is only helping himself here.

An impressive mover for his size, Reader (6-3, 340) looked balanced and carried his weight well during drills. He showed the lower-body flexibility to play low and win the leverage battle as he shot upfield and Kansas State guard Cody Whitehair (6-4, 300), who is the top offensive line prospect in Mobile, was the only South lineman who had much success against Reader. Reader missed the first half of the season due to some “personal issues” and NFL teams will be doing a lot of homework on the reasons he felt like he needed to be away from Clemson.

And the player who had arguably the best day overall was Spence (6-3, 254). None of the offensive tackles had an answer for his edge quickness. He was sudden off the snap with the get-off speed to breeze past blockers, winning the corner and flattening to the pocket. Even Le'Raven Clark, who boasts massive arms (36 1/4 inches) and wingspan (86) and has done a nice job this week, couldn't hang with Spence's quickness around the edge. The former Ohio State and Eastern Kentucky pass rusher entered the week as the top prospect overall on my top-50 draft board and he has lived up to that high-billing.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...nsive-line-dominates-south-wednesday-practice

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Other notes from Wednesday's South Team practice:

• While Braxton Miller is clearly the top athlete and receiver on the North squad, Oklahoma wide receiver Sterling Shepard (5-10, 193) owns that distinction for the South team. He routinely proved to be a mismatch during one-on-one drills vs. cornerbacks, using his short-area burst to create spacing and give his quarterback a clean target. If the corner doesn't make contact with Shepard off the line of scrimmage, it's too easy for the smallish, but talented receiver to make something happen.
  • Considering the fact that he finished third in receiving for Baylor this year, wide receiver Jay Lee (6-2, 214) is an easy player to overlook. But he is making sure no one overlooks him this week during practices. With 33-inch arms, Lee has done a great job extending to pluck the ball away from his body, catching everything with his hands. He made the grab of the day using his large catch radius -- with Alabama cornerback Cyrus Jones riding him down the sideline, Lee was able to locate, adjust his frame and stick out his right arm to spear the ball and complete the catch.
  • BYU defensive end Bronson Kaufusi (6-6, 281) remains a perplexing prospect. He isn't a natural bender and plays much too high, but he is agile and able to win with speed and redirection skills. Although he uses his hands aggressively, Kaufusi doesn't generate much power at the point of attack. Several around the league have yet to figure him out.
  • It has been a mixed bag from the defensive backs on the South squad. Samford cornerback James Bradberry (6-1, 209) struggled vs. Shepard and lacked the short-area burst to stick with him. But when he can press and play close to the line of scrimmage, Bradberry extends to disrupt the route and stays balanced while keeping his eyes in the backfield to make a play on the ball. Auburn cornerback Jonathan Jones (5-9, 178) doesn't look like much, but he has played sticky coverage during drills, anticipating routes and staying in phase with receivers. He would not allow himself to be fooled and got his hands on the ball more than once.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...nsive-line-dominates-south-wednesday-practice

Alexander

Reaction score
Considering the fact that he finished third in receiving for Baylor this year, wide receiver Jay Lee (6-2, 214) is an easy player to overlook. But he is making sure no one overlooks him this week during practices. With 33-inch arms, Lee has done a great job extending to pluck the ball away from his body, catching everything with his hands. He made the grab of the day using his large catch radius -- with Alabama cornerback Cyrus Jones riding him down the sideline, Lee was able to locate, adjust his frame and stick out his right arm to spear the ball and complete the catch.

I would stay away from the Baylor WRs. They are all able to impress with the physical talent, but when it comes to the little things that create separation other than speed, they all are very consistent in being a little mediocre in that regard. Williams and Kendall Wright are very similar. Tevin Reese, Antwan Goodley, Lanear Sampson, Levi Norwood, Daryl Stoneum, David Gettis all very one trick. Josh Gordon is the outlier.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The key to being a good coach is whatever you say to the players, make sure you repeat it. Even several times.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They can't even get a pass off with Ben Bloom coaching the defensive backs.

Alexander

Reaction score
Psst....Tony? ....Yeah we like him in the 2nd round. Might take him there. Oh, yeah, you can tweet it.

It is all part of the diversionary fun. Except when it comes out of someone from the Cowboys' mouth. Then you can stone cold mortal lock it.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why would you stretch after you've run a series of plays?

Genius is often times misunderstood.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
From Broaddus' article on the official site:

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2...under-radar-players-watch-thursdays-practices

This was one of the few things I did notice as well out of some lackluster practices (may have been poor coverage of all the action as well).

Seeing how competitive a WR is tells me a lot. Give me a couple of Steve Smiths or Jarvis Landrys that can block and play STs, that is what I want from a WR who is not a centerpiece.

Maye popped Jones pretty well. Most of the other receivers sat back and caught the DB coming right at them.

That's great to hear. Cy Jones is a very in your face kind of guy. If Maye could hang with him, that kid has got a shot.