Serious Question: Is Dak better now than Romo in his prime?

cmoney23

Reaction score
I think Dak is a more consistent QB... He has a higher floor but lower ceiling than Romo.

When Romo was really getting good, his body was letting him down. But peak Romo was/is better than peak Dak but all in all, I think Dak is more consistent and doesn't hurt you (INTs, Fumbles, etc) as bad as Romo did.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
How is Dak a better quarterback when Romo was the better passer, could read defenses better, controlled and ran the offense, scrambler. And no Dak is not a better clutch quarterback. Not even close.

Only thing Dak had on Romo is leadership ability and availability but quarterback skill wise just laughable.
Dak's the new/fresh guy in town.

When Dak is replaced they will talk about Dak the same way they talk about Romo.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
DC's consider it a vacation week before facing Dak.

Fans, opposing players, coaches, etc., were all watching when Tony was on the field. I have never heard anyone say they were tuning in to watch Dak play.
They really do lol

Players and coaches have both said they don't worry about Dak and prefer that he is the one that tries to beat them.

GINeric

Reaction score
And you make it sound like Dak led the team he took over to a playoff win?????????
How is Dak a better quarterback when Romo was the better passer, could read defenses better, controlled and ran the offense, scrambler. And no Dak is not a better clutch quarterback. Not even close.

Only thing Dak had on Romo is leadership ability and availability but quarterback skill wise just laughable.

Well Dak put up much better numbers than Romo and did other things better than Romo. Do I need to post the numbers that Dak put up to remind you why he's a better overall quarterback??

Like i said, there's a reason Dak took his job and sent him into retirement.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
HTML:
<PRE>                                                                                                                                                  
                                                                                                        Pass                Rush                 Rece
Rk         Player From   To AV  G   QBrec  Cmp  Att Cmp%   Yds  TD Rate Lng Int  Sk  Yds Y/A AY/A NY/A ANY/A Att  Yds TD Y/A Lng  Rec Yds TD  Y/R Lng
1    Dak Prescott 2016 2021 77 85 53-32-0 1924 2889 66.6 22083 143 98.7  90  50 176 1036 7.6 7.85 6.87  7.07 307 1460 25 4.8  42    1  11  1 11.0  11
2       Tony Romo 2006 2011 72 83 47-30-0 1672 2592 64.5 20834 149 96.9  80  72 142  887 8.0 7.94 7.30  7.20 156  461  4 3.0  17    0  11       0  11
</PRE>

Provided by <a href="https://www.sports-reference.com/sharing.html?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Share&utm_campaign=ShareTool">Stathead.com</a>: <a href="https://stathead.com/football/pcm_finder.cgi?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Share&utm_campaign=ShareTool">View Stathead Tool Used</a><br>Generated 6/9/2022.

Here is Dak's career vs the first 6 seasons that Romo actually played. So Romo has the advantage of having 2 years to sit and learn and work on his mechanics and learn the offense while Dak got thrown in.

Dak's numbers are all better.

Per Game Numbers
HTML:
<PRE>                                                                       
                                                        Pass          Rush
Rk         Player From   To  Cmp  Att   Yds  TD Int  Sk  Yds  Att  Yds  TD
1    Dak Prescott 2016 2021 22.6 34.0 259.8 1.7 0.6 2.1 12.2  3.6 17.2 0.3
2       Tony Romo 2006 2011 20.1 31.2 251.0 1.8 0.9 1.7 10.7  1.9  5.6 0.0
</PRE>

Provided by <a href="https://www.sports-reference.com/sharing.html?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Share&utm_campaign=ShareTool">Stathead.com</a>: <a href="https://stathead.com/football/pcm_finder.cgi?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Share&utm_campaign=ShareTool">View Stathead Tool Used</a><br>Generated 6/9/2022.

PLAYOFFS /Jim Mora voice

HTML:
<PRE>                                                                                                                  
                                                                                            Pass                Rush
Rk         Player From   To G QBrec Cmp Att Cmp%  Yds TD Rate Lng Int Sk Yds Y/A AY/A NY/A ANY/A  Att Yds TD Y/A Lng
1    Dak Prescott 2016 2021 4 1-3-0  89 146 61.0 1048  6 87.9  44   3  9  69 7.2 7.08 6.32  6.22   14  72  3 5.1  17
2       Tony Romo 2006 2009 4 1-3-0  80 135 59.3  832  4 80.8  36   2 12  98 6.2 6.09 4.99  4.93    7  21  0 3.0  11
</PRE>

I sort of disagree Dak got "thrown in". We played well....so they benched Tony. They could easily have said "you did good kid...we're gonna take a step back and get our star vet QB in there for the final run".

We can only imagine what this would result in. Playoff run? Better knowledge as a sideline student for Dak?

As far as the topic...I would say Tony was better...as someone said "did more with less". Especially at WR. Tony made some very average players look great. Does Dak?

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Well Dak put up much better numbers than Romo and did other things better than Romo. Do I need to post the numbers that Dak put up to remind you why he's a better overall quarterback??

Post em up.

As long as we're talking stats and you're going to use as who the better QB is then I can only assume that you also believe Dak AND Romo are better than Aikman and Staubach, right? Since they both have better numbers and all..

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Only thing Dak had on Romo is leadership ability

I don't know that leadership is what it's made out to be by a lot of posters. I think both players are generally liked by their teammates but ultimately leadership is more about what you do than what you say or if you are liked. Players follow players who can perform. Micah doesn't have to say or do anything. As long as he plays at a high level, guys are lead by his example. Not saying you can't accentuate with words & other actions but ultimately the number one factor is do you believe the person can get it done. Players believed Tony gave them a chance regardless the circumstances.

Redline360

Reaction score

One of those guys huh. Thanks for admitting you don't understand the game

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

"Better numbers" doesn't necessarily mean better QB. If you want to trot out stats, you need some context...like how many 1st round picks along side each....just as one example.

I'm not saying you are totally wrong.....but for example....the super bowl stat...Dan Marino has none.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I sort of disagree Dak got "thrown in". We played well....so they benched Tony. They could easily have said "you did good kid...we're gonna take a step back and get our star vet QB in there for the final run".

We can only imagine what this would result in. Playoff run? Better knowledge as a sideline student for Dak?

As far as the topic...I would say Tony was better...as someone said "did more with less". Especially at WR. Tony made some very average players look great. Does Dak?
Dak was 18th in passing yards and 16th in passing TDs in 2016.

Yet, people around here act like he was setting records and playing better than Romo ever could have.

Zeke was the one setting the world on fire by winning the rushing title by over 300 yards.

Dak kept that job because we were rolling and I'm fine with that, but to act like Dak was setting the world on fire like they do is just outlandish.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know that leadership is what it's made out to be by a lot of posters. I think both players are generally liked by their teammates but ultimately leadership is more about what you do than what you say or if you are liked. Players follow players who can perform. Micah doesn't have to say or do anything. As long as he plays at a high level, guys are lead by his example. Not saying you can't accentuate with words & other actions but ultimately the number one factor is do you believe the person can get it done. Players believed Tony gave them a chance regardless the circumstances.
It's my opinion that to be a leader...you have to lead to...somewhere. If you don't get there you didn't lead very well.
It could be considered a leader if you put yourself out there...inspired others to exceed their abilities. Not sure Dak does that either.

Doing your job, being positive, buying new Nikes.....{shrug} I dunno...that seems par to me.

shabazz

Reaction score

The “leadership” word is what is used when people have to say something positive about players that are lacking in football skills. Sports journalists are all commenting on what a great “leader” Jaylon Hurts is because they have to say something positive….or else

The rest of us know Hurts sucks and aren’t compelled to deflect from it. And being “liked” by the players doesn’t show leadership skills……it just means they like him, her or it.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Dak is a more consistent QB... He has a higher floor but lower ceiling than Romo.

When Romo was really getting good, his body was letting him down. But peak Romo was/is better than peak Dak but all in all, I think Dak is more consistent and doesn't hurt you (INTs, Fumbles, etc) as bad as Romo did.
Exactly why I think Dak (isn't) this great leader some make him out to be. Romo would put the team and blame on HIS OWN shoulders. Even when the D made him back out over and over.

Dak doesn't take those risks.

Last edited:

shabazz

Reaction score
I agree. Romo 2014 was so good.

I'm not on the hate-Dak wagon either.

Good man. the 2 things are not mutually exclusive. Some here also believe that if one is critical of Dakota that it means a coveting of Dalton, Cooper Rush, Wentz, etc……not true by any means.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
The “leadership” word is what is used when people have to say something positive about players that are lacking in football skills. Sports journalists are all commenting on what a great “leader” Jaylon Hurts is because they have to say something positive….or else

The rest of us know Hurts sucks and aren’t compelled to deflect from it. And being “liked” by the players doesn’t show leadership skills……it just means they like him, her or it.
Yeah, they gotta give Dak something I guess.

Even if his leadership is also just as overrated and his ability to play QB. A leader don't condone violence against refs when they play bad or call fans "bandwagon" when they criticize your play.

DFWJC

Reaction score

fwiw.....He was only talking Romo Prime (2014) not Romo 2011 or so.
That more mature version made big plays and smart adjustments AND protected the ball ....in the regular season and playoffs.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Good man. the 2 things are not mutually exclusive. Some here also believe that if one is critical of Dakota that it means a coveting of Dalton, Cooper Rush, Wentz, etc……not true by any means.
Keep in mind the ones burying Romo to prop up Dak.

People that do that will also be the first to burying Dak when our new and fresh QB takes over in a few years.

They enjoy the flavor of the week and will be quick to hop on the next bandwagon while acting like the old one they rode for years is trash.