Sham: 'A lot of folks' think Alabama's Mark Barron can step in and play for Cowboys

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Hostile;4501888 said:
You're damn skippy I do. I think we're 2 players away from being a top 5 Offense. No two players in the world get us to top 5 Defense.

We're already a Top 5 caliber offenese in the most important category correalated to winning% ... passing efficiency. And that's with most of our skill players missing significant time.

Our 25th ranked passer rating allowed defense was an anvil around our necks we couldn't shake, which drug us down to 9th in overall passer rating differential.

Or to put it in non stat terms and boil it down to simplistics ... it doesn't matter if your offensive puts up 34 points against the Giants in an NFC East clinching game in Week 14 when your defense gives up 37. We don't need a Top 5 defense to be a Superbowl Contender. We simply need one that doesn't give up 37 points to Eli in NFC East clinching games. Players could make a much larger difference on defense, because there's much more room for improvement. It's almost impossible for Romo to produce a better than 100 QB rating in 2012. If he does, he really needs to be included in more HOF discussions.

Gaede

Reaction score
CATCH17;4501898 said:
We need better blocking but we're going to have to put pressure on Vick and Eli if we want to win this division or else the game will be over before halftime like it was in 3 of our 4 games against those opponents.

Agreed, all the offense in the world won't do **** when Eli has 7 seconds to throw every down.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
CATCH17;4501898 said:
Disagree.

A better pass rush is the best quick fix for a defense.

We already have the best in the league at getting to the QB and we have nothing else around him pass rush wise.

We need better blocking but we're going to have to put pressure on Vick and Eli if we want to win this division or else the game will be over before halftime like it was in 3 of our 4 games against those opponents.
Enlighten me with your football brilliance for a change.

Two players within striking distance at 14 and 45 that make us a top 5 Defense. Quick, who are they?

Keep in mind we are going to have to improve by at least 40 points and hope no other team does. Wow me.

NeonDeion21

Reaction score
Hostile;4501888 said:
You're damn skippy I do. I think we're 2 players away from being a top 5 Offense. No two players in the world get us to top 5 Defense.

A top 5 offensive can cover up for a bottom ranked defense. Look at NE and GB last year. Heck, I think we are a DeCastro away from being a top 5 offense and a Konz away from being #1 or #2 in this league on offense.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4501905 said:
We're already a Top 5 caliber offenese in the most important category ... passing efficiency. And that's with most of our skill players missing significant time.

Our 25th ranked passer rating allowed defense was an anvil around our necks we couldn't shake, which drug us down to 9th in overall passer rating differential.

Or to put it in non stat terms ... it doesn't matter if your offensive puts up 34 points against the Giants in an NFC East clinching game in Week 14 when your defense gives up 37. We don't need a Top 5 defense. We need one that doesn't give up 37 points to Eli in NFC East clinching games.
Where were we in rushing TDs? How many times was Tony Sacked? I'm sorry but if you think you can change my mind you are wasting your precious time.

cowboysooner

Reaction score
Hostile;4501888 said:

I assume you mean Konz and DeCastro, but if so that won't do it.

The top offenses NE, NO, GB have 4 or 5 pass catchers that can create matchup problems. Dallas still would not have that. We have 3 and some udfa practice squad hope to develop guys.

If you told me DeCastro and Fleener or DeCastro and Stephen Hill/Alshon Jeffrey then maybe.

cowboysooner

Reaction score
Hostile;4501914 said:
Where were we in rushing TDs? How many times was Tony Sacked? I'm sorry but if you think you can change my mind you are wasting your precious time.

Bottom in rushing TD's above average in qb sacks given up and hits given up. None of the "guys that got Tony killed" play for the Cowboys today. Kosier and the fullback are gone.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Hostile;4501911 said:
Enlighten me with your football brilliance for a change.

Two players within striking distance at 14 and 45 that make us a top 5 Defense. Quick, who are they?

Keep in mind we are going to have to improve by at least 40 points and hope no other team does. Wow me.

We don't need to be a top 5 defense. We need to get better at pressuring the QB and causing turnovers.

Guys like Fletcher Cox and Bruce Irvin come to mind. Pressure players.

NeonDeion21

Reaction score
cowboysooner;4501916 said:
I assume you mean Konz and DeCastro, but if so that won't do it.

The top offenses NE, NO, GB have 4 or 5 pass catchers that can create matchup problems. Dallas still would not have that. We have 3 and some udfa practice squad hope to develop guys.

If you told me DeCastro and Fleener or DeCastro and Stephen Hill/Alshon Jeffrey then maybe.

All 3 of those teams have excellent offensive lines. Show me an offense that has an average line and then I might agree with you. NE, GB, and NO all have elite offensive lines.

cowboysooner

Reaction score
NeonDeion21;4501913 said:
A top 5 offensive can cover up for a bottom ranked defense. Look at NE and GB last year. Heck, I think we are a DeCastro away from being a top 5 offense and a Konz away from being #1 or #2 in this league on offense.

Look at their offensive lines. NE has 1 expensive interior guy and scrap at RG and center.

GB found what they have from the 4th round back and developed them. Neither team has as much invested in their tackles in terms of draft capital and contracts as Dallas.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Hostile;4501914 said:
Where were we in rushing TDs?

Pretty much where Green Bay was when you remove Aaron Rodgers QB sneaks ... I think they had a pretty good offense last year.

Meanwhile, the Vikings were 3rd in the NFL in rushing TDs ... I don't think they had a very good offense.

I'll start putting a lot of stock into rushing TDs when they start counting for more points on the scoreboard than passing TDs.

NeonDeion21

Reaction score
cowboysooner;4501922 said:
Look at their offensive lines. NE has 1 expensive interior guy and scrap at RG and center.

GB found what they have from the 4th round back and developed them. Neither team has as much invested in their tackles in terms of draft capital and contracts as Dallas.

NE and GB both have drafted tackles in the first round last year and GB has in the past two years. They devote high picks to their lines because they know the importance.

cowboysooner

Reaction score
NeonDeion21;4501921 said:
All 3 of those teams have excellent offensive lines. Show me an offense that has an average line and then I might agree with you. NE, GB, and NO all have elite offensive lines.

Green Bay's is not elite. They just run shotgun and throw 3 step drop stuff to easy matchups on bad 4th corners and strong safeties. Neither team can run as good as Dallas can.

cowboysooner

Reaction score
NeonDeion21;4501926 said:
NE and GB both have drafted tackles in the first round last year and GB has in the past two years. They devote high picks to their lines because they know the importance.

On the interior their lines are 4 round and below. This year they signed Satruday for 1 year b/c they did not want to invest 5 million in the center they developed.

Dallas had $8million in Free and the 9th pick top tackle in the draft on the other side. The year before we had giant money in Davis and Gurode and good money in Columbo and Kosier.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
NeonDeion21;4501921 said:

NE and GB's lines aren't all that. They just get rid of the ball quick in the passing game and you can't really bring more than 4 guys against Brady or Rodgers or you'll get toasted.

They are well coached and organised offenses.

The Cowboys on the other hand look poorly coached and the only players who look like they know what to do is Romo,Witten, and Laurent Robinson.

With that said they were good enough to win the division if they could've stopped Eli in the 4th quarter instead of getting 37 dropped on them.

NeonDeion21

Reaction score
cowboysooner;4501931 said:
On the interior their lines are 4 round and below. This year they signed Satruday for 1 year b/c they did not want to invest 5 million in the center they developed.

Scott Wells was a pro bowl center for them this year. Don't believe me? Look it up. They value their offensive line highly in the draft. I believe we should as well.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
cowboysooner;4501929 said:
Green Bay's is not elite. They just run shotgun and throw 3 step drop stuff to easy matchups on bad 4th corners and strong safeties. Neither team can run as good as Dallas can.

I disagree. When those teams want, especially New England, they can pound the ball.

Plus they can finish drives and move the chains with the run. Something we can't do. Even with Gurode, Davis, Kosier.

NeonDeion21

Reaction score
CATCH17;4501934 said:
NE and GB's lines aren't all that. They just get rid of the ball quick in the passing game and you can't really bring more than 4 guys against Brady or Rodgers or you'll get toasted.

They are well coached and organised offenses.

The Cowboys on the other hand look poorly coached and the only players who look like they know what to do is Romo,Witten, and Laurent Robinson.

With that said they were good enough to win the division if they could've stopped Eli in the 4th quarter instead of getting 37 dropped on them.

NE offensive line is one of the best I have seen in a long time. They had an outstanding rookie as their 3rd tackle this year. Mankins and Walter were pro bowlers for them. They are elite.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;4501793 said:
why draft Barron when we have young guys like Church and McCray on the team, I thought we were trying to build within the team.
Brad Sham: If they take Barron, it will be because they think he's better.

How insightful...

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
NeonDeion21;4501913 said:
A top 5 offensive can cover up for a bottom ranked defense. Look at NE and GB last year.

Look beyond meaningless accumulative totals and look at the things that really effect winning % like efficiency. The Packers was a Top 10 pick in passer rating efficiency against. New England was worse at 20th. Both well ahead of Dallas at 25th.

Guess which area of the team everyone is predicting the Packers and New England are going to address in the draft?