Sham: 'A lot of folks' think Alabama's Mark Barron can step in and play for Cowboys

cowboysooner

Reaction score
NeonDeion21;4501935 said:
Scott Wells was a pro bowl center for them this year. Don't believe me? Look it up. They value their offensive line highly in the draft. I believe we should as well.

They drafted him in the 6th round and patiently developed him, signed him to a modest 2nd contract and balked at a pricey 3rd one.

If you want to go sign Dan Koppen or Faine to a 1 year deal, I have no problem with it. Either one will be about what Konz is next year if their health checks out. Offensive lines, especially zone blocking ones, need coaching, cohesion and patience. They don't require a myriad of 1st and 2nd round picks to play guard and center.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
NeonDeion21;4501942 said:
NE offensive line is one of the best I have seen in a long time. They had an outstanding rookie as their 3rd tackle this year. Mankins and Walter were pro bowlers for them. They are elite.

New Englands offensive line is great because Brady gets rid the ball incredibly fast and makes 85% of his throws in quick dump offs to his TEs and slot WRs, and very rarely attempts long developing sideline routes to his WRs outside the hash marks. They also run more shotgun than any team in the NFL, and basically operate the closest the NFL comes to a spread offense.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
"Enlighten Me" for a second...

Who won the Superbowl last year? I could have sworn it was the Giants with a mediocre offensive line and running game. I thought it was that voracious Giants defensive front that put QB's in the dirt.

So please, "enlighten" us all and explain this...

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
texbumthelife;4501958 said:

Who won the Superbowl last year? I could have sworn it was the Giants with a mediocre offensive line and running game. I thought it was that voracious Giants defensive front that put QB's in the dirt.

Who cares about team wins. Having a top-5 ranked offense is what really matters.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
I think we will get Barron only because Cox will be gone by 14.

This draft is deep with OG and CB. Cox and Barron is far and away better than the other players in this draft. If Dallas takes one of these which I think they will I don't see them drafting the other postion in this draft. So if Dallas drafts Cox I doubt they draft a Safety in the 2nd-4th round. Same for DE if they draft Barron.

They want a starter at these positions and not more added depth. If they can't get a day one starter at CB, DE, or OG then they don't want to use a draft pick on them. They believe they have plenty of good depth at those position already.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;4501961 said:
Who cares about team wins. Having a top-5 ranked offense is what really matters.

That's why I was so ecstatic after we blew the NFC East in Week 14. Sure, we lost the game because we allowed the Giants to score 37 points. But did you see the way our offense put up 34 on the board against the Giants pass rush? Not many other offenses could do that.

I just really wish Romo could have connected with Miles Austin on that overthrow/lost in the lights. Clearly that was the deciding factor in the game, and it's not even close.

Gaede

Reaction score
I wanna know why the only way for this team to win is to surround our QB with 1st round picks.

Other teams succeed with less, why can't we?

The real question is:
Who are we covering up for? Romo or the OC?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;4501952 said:
Wow. I mean, really wow.

That's how I feel.

Decastro would improve us but we're not going to get where we want to be on offense until everyone is on the same page and knows how to lineup, run the right route, and block the right man.

We're so poorly coached offensively that it's not going to matter who we throw out there.

Our offense is always at it's best when Romo improvises.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
Gaede;4501971 said:
I wanna know why the only way for this team to win is to surround our QB with 1st round picks.

Other teams succeed with less, why can't we?

The real question is:
Who are we covering up for? Romo or the OC?

I don't understand what your saying. Who is a first round pick besides Smith and Bryant that has been surronded around our UDFA QB.
Besides Smith the entire OL isn't 1st rounders.
Besides Bryant the entire WR corp is 6th round or less
Besides Felix Murrey is a 3rd round pick.

May want to look at other teams, they atleast spend 2nd-4th round picks on OL and WRs.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
texbumthelife;4501958 said:

Yep. Pressure players and and all kinds of receiving threats.

Hopefully they don't add the Stanford TE to the mix. (in a way it would be funny though because Marty B would get screwed over)

rocboy22

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4501968 said:
That's why I was so ecstatic after we blew the NFC East in Week 14. Sure, we lost the game because we allowed the Giants to score 37 points. But did you see the way our offense put up 34 on the board against the Giants pass rush? Not many other offenses could do that.

I just really wish Romo could have connected with Miles Austin on that overthrow/lost in the lights. Clearly that was the deciding factor in the game, and it's not even close.

either that, or our D sucked and couldn't hold a lead

Gaede

Reaction score
supercowboy8;4501977 said:

I'm referring to the offense in general. Fans think that this team wins with offense. Why draft a DE in the first round when we need a G/T/WR/RB? We need to use all our resources to surround Romo and the offense with allpros and then we'll be guaranteed to not lose. That's the general attitude around here.

But why does Romo need everyone to be an all pro in order to succeed? Why does Garrett need to have a ridiculous amount of 1st round picks to make his offense work?

supercowboy8

Reaction score
Gaede;4501999 said:
I'm referring to the offense in general. Fans think that this team wins with offense. Why draft a DE in the first round when we need a G/T/WR/RB? We need to use all our resources to surround Romo and the offense with allpros and then we'll be guaranteed to not lose. That's the general attitude around here.

But why does Romo need everyone to be an all pro in order to succeed? Why does Garrett need to have a ridiculous amount of 1st round picks to make his offense work?

I agree, defense wins championships. look at the Giants, they have how many 1st round OL? SF defense is great and so is Baltimore and Houston.

This defense needs to be built with impact players more than the OL. I can find a day one starting OG at 45(Zeitler, Brooks, or Silatolu)

Give me Barron or Cox at 14 both day one impact players.

In the third give me a CB that can develop into a starter #2 CB next year.

If Ryans defense is ever going to be great he needs his type of players.

rocboy22

Reaction score
supercowboy8;4502016 said:
I agree, defense wins championships. look at the Giants, they have how many 1st round OL? SF defense is great and so is Baltimore and Houston.

This defense needs to be built with impact players more than the OL. I can find a day one starting OG at 45(Zeitler, Brooks, or Silatolu)

In the third give me a CB that can develop into a starter.

I agree, even though I wouldn't be totally upset if we took DeCastro at 14

supercowboy8

Reaction score
rocboy22;4502020 said:
I agree, even though I wouldn't be totally upset if we took DeCastro at 14
I wouldn't either if Barron and Cox was off the board which is possible.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4501813 said:
Do people realize that Brodney Pool couldn't start for the Jets, and that the Jets were (and still are) absolutely desperate for safeties?

Everyone upset about the Cowboys signing a proven NFL starter like Livings, but are perfectly fine with Pool starting at safety ... what world are these people living in?

Actually he did start for the Jets, 2 seasons ago.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Gaede;4501999 said:

Garrett is an offensive genius. Just give him All Pro players and first round draft picks at every position, and he'll prove it to you.

My question is with Rob Ryan. Newman couldn't cover a cold, Marcus Spears can't rush the passer and Alan Ball wasn't impressive at all. Why did his defense look so bad? What's this guy's deal?

cowboysooner

Reaction score
supercowboy8;4502016 said:

In the third give me a CB that can develop into a starter #2 CB next year.

If Ryans defense is ever going to be great he needs his type of players.

You are likely to have your choice of those guards at 45. If I see those 3 on the board and I am going to take one, I would try like crazy to trade down 5-10 spots.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
CATCH17;4501919 said:
We don't need to be a top 5 defense. We need to get better at pressuring the QB and causing turnovers.

Guys like Fletcher Cox and Bruce Irvin come to mind. Pressure players.

I don't think that either one of those guys provides any better play than Spencer.