Shannon Sharpe nailed it

Creeper

Reaction score
I agree the run defense is a problem they have to fix. But I disagree they cannot make the playoffs or succeed in the plays with their run defense as is.

They give up yards on the ground, but not every team can run the ball like the Bears who have run for over 200 yards 3 games in a row.

UncleRico

Reaction score
Run defense bad. I did not need Sharpe to note this (started the show with it) however it is clear that we are not going to the super bowl with this, Everyone here can pick and choose what it is they think is the problem or evade the problem altogether but it is staring them in the face and I have been correct all along. Fix that and we have a number one defense in the NFL. Don't fix it and we are sitting for the playoffs.

And the problem is magnified by an offense that will struggle to score and maybe not even score against better defenses. Middle of the pack Dak will not be able to outscore good running teams. It is that simple. Fix the run defense and maybe we have a slight chance.

this team is spitting image of 2018-2019 team where we were solid everywhere but run defense and Rams took us out of playoffs running it dow our throat

UncleRico

Reaction score
Did our run defense cost us against the 49er or was it our offensive line breakdowns. Was the loss to Tampa because of our run defense or because we only scored three points. Was the loss to Philadelphia was because of our run defense or because we turned the ball over three times.:huh:
It was them being tougher than us and winning both sides of the trenches. Cowboys culture needs to toughen up its too soft. This team seems like it has some moxy though.

plymkr

Reaction score
Run defense bad. I did not need Sharpe to note this (started the show with it) however it is clear that we are not going to the super bowl with this, Everyone here can pick and choose what it is they think is the problem or evade the problem altogether but it is staring them in the face and I have been correct all along. Fix that and we have a number one defense in the NFL. Don't fix it and we are sitting for the playoffs.

And the problem is magnified by an offense that will struggle to score and maybe not even score against better defenses. Middle of the pack Dak will not be able to outscore good running teams. It is that simple. Fix the run defense and maybe we have a slight chance.
I agree with you and Sharpe. Our run defense is our weak link. But I've said this in a couple other threads every game takes own a personality of it's own and every game has it's identity. Yesterday's game was a showcase of great running teams and poor defenses. That was yesterday's game's identity. But if they don't call that bogus roughing the QB against us and the Diggs pick stands. Then we are up 21-7 with the ball at the end of the half. That play changed the whole game and I would argue it was not roughing the passer. But my point is due to that phantom call that got the Bears back into it which inflated their running stats. So it wasn't quite as bad as the stat sheet looked. With them running as well as they did we still controlled the game.

But moving forward, I don't know if it's scheme or players or both but we got to shore up the run defense or we'll be watching in the playoffs.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Two things here:

1) OP is a troll. He joined in September.

2) Thanks to analytics and advanced metrics, defending the run is secondary. It’s an afterthought. If the Bears want to rack up 50 bajillion yards rushing while down by 20 points in the fourth quarter, any defensive coordinator is going to say, “be my guest.” It’s gonna look pretty on the stat sheet, but you ain’t winnin’.

Dre11

Reaction score
Lol...them running played right into our hands. Getting up like we did and them running so much did allow them to win because they burned clock...lol

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
I tell you what , Shannon Sharpe and all of you that keep bringing up SF in the playoffs , Tampa 1st game this season are reaching. Yes reaching. You and him have an investment in those games meaning something. Well boys and Girls I have some news for you, They don't. They do not mean ISH. Besides learning experiences they are done and over with. I find it astounding that my grandkids know things you do not. That something as juvenile as The Lion King can teach lessons some of you grown assed people, still haven't learned yet. Remember when Rafiki smacked a grown up Simba with his stick. He told Simba it doesn't matter "It's in the past" Then went on to tell him you can run from it or you can learn from it. I guess we'll see what path the Cowboys take. Doesn't surprise me that Shannon Shape does not posses the intellect of a cartoon BABOON though.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I'm not getting high on my horse yet. The season isn't half over yet.

But ... I think, unlike the previous playoff teams, this team has ...

1. A "War Daddy" with the personality and work ethic to back it up. With all due respect to DeMarcus Lawrence, he was a gentle giant. Great player, but he didn't seem to motivate others around him to reach his level, IMO. Parsons seems to lift everybody on his back and brings that big nasty to the defense. And players want to be just like him.

2. A General at the coordinator position. Like Buddy Ryan with the Bears, Dan Quinn seems to inspire his charges. They play like he wants them to play. And it doesn't hurt that he has his "War Daddy" in Parsons just like Wannstedt had his in Haley, Belichick in LT, Marvin Lewis his Ray Lewis, Monte Kiffin had his Warren Sapp and Derrick Brooks, etc.

3. A solid run game. All the Cowboys NFC Championship teams and Super Bowl teams had good running backs and a solid ground game. Now, whether we use it effectively is another matter. But I like the two-headed tandem of Zeke and Pollard - at least for now.

4. A quarterback that seeks to avoid turnovers. Say what you will about Dak, but he still hasn't rid himself of being cautious. And that may not be all that bad in the playoffs when turnovers become more costly. If we have a running game, good offensive line play and stout defense, you can win close games in the playoffs and in the Super Bowl. See the Hostetler Giants, the Brad Johnson Buccaneers, the Dilfer Ravens, etc.

The only thing that worries me is Kellen Moore and Mike McCarthy. Maybe they'll prove me wrong, but I have no faith in them - not in the big games. I think they will be our ultimate downfall. But we have a chance in the watered-down NFC. Despite the Eagles' undefeated season so far, I haven't seen the NFC this up-for-grabs in a long time.

hutch1254

Reaction score
Dak and the Cowboys actually just outscored the top running team in the NFL
We will not be playing the Bears defense in the playoffs. We will be trying to outscore better defenses and keeping our fingers crossed we can get away with it.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

Fields ran for 60 of those rushing yards, he's like Lamar Jackson in one way - he's a better runner than a lot of the running backs in the league, and most of his runs were because Dallas' pass defense and pass rush forced him to run. And much of the rushing yards Chicago got was due to (once again) poor tackling on the part of Dallas players. LVE is a tackling machine, as is Parsons. Why others on the defense can't see how they tackle and learn from it is the $64 million dollar question.

Of course, that's nothing new, for years Witten was open probably 80% of the time, most of the other receivers weren't nearly that good. I guess after you've played football for 15-16 years (Pee Wee to high school to college) your tackling is ingrained and can't be changed easily.

And speaking of Lamar Jackson, he's in his 5th year and has a 1-3 playoff record. If you have to depend on your quarterback to be your main rusher in the current NFL you're not winning SBs. Fields is a better passer, we better watch out for him and the Bears in the next few years, I have a feeling they are building something there....

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score

Thanks for posting, I'll just move on from this season. No sense in watching the rest of the season if horse face and you don't believe we can improve in season and win games!