Sheldon Richardson for a 4th (speculation)?

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
How about, NO!

http://i45.***BLOCKED***/albums/f78/dantanna86/90-pissedofftree_zpsd94e7b20.jpg
rzh8t.jpg

visionary

Reaction score
tell that to Seattle and Carolina of 2 years ago.......its the shortest route, and even a good push moves the QB into range for DE's, and.......and finally.it starts to cut off the 3 step drop and out of G.Bay, Giants Patriots etc---

Exactly and Collins is the only DT worth a darn the rest is just flotsam

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
is the plan to get sacks from the DTs?
seems we have enough DTs, we need a pass rush.

We don't get enough pressure from our ends so we're going to go with an all-DT lineup: Irving, Crawford, Collins and Richardson, with Thornton and Paea in reserve. On run downs, we'll end stick Thornton and/or Paea on the field and go with a 5-2/6-1.

Derinyar

Reaction score
He's a name. At this point is he really a 3-4 DE? He was playing standup OLB last year I think, and wasn't very good at it. His college athletic profile as a 4-3 DE are awful. For a DT they're very good. But do we want to pay 8 million and a 4th round pick for one year of a player changing positions that seems to a lot be viewed as a head case with issues and who hasn't been good at getting to the QB in 2 years.

Frankly, I just don't see the likely impact to make us want to reallocate the cap to fit him in. I'm guessing we're going to give Collins the lion's share of the 3T snaps next year. With about half the DE on the roster being able to play 3T just not sure there's enough snaps to justify the dollars.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
He's a name. At this point is he really a 3-4 DE? He was playing standup OLB last year I think, and wasn't very good at it. His college athletic profile as a 4-3 DE are awful. For a DT they're very good. But do we want to pay 8 million and a 4th round pick for one year of a player changing positions that seems to a lot be viewed as a head case with issues and who hasn't been good at getting to the QB in 2 years.

Frankly, I just don't see the likely impact to make us want to reallocate the cap to fit him in. I'm guessing we're going to give Collins the lion's share of the 3T snaps next year. With about half the DE on the roster being able to play 3T just not sure there's enough snaps to justify the dollars.

wow, now thats good. I guess it has me second guessing my decision. way to go.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Seriously...we haven't made this move yet????? :rolleyes: This team moves like it wears concrete shoes. Remember the days when the Cowboys were the innovators of the NFL? They brought computers into the NFL...tracked stats....Way ahead of the curve.

Now we are lucky if we can make a transaction on a bar napkin. Jesus Jerry...Just do it:mad:

waldoputty

Reaction score

the question is can he draw a double team or not.
we dont have anyone who can consistently draw a double team.

dwreck27

Reaction score
Seriously...we haven't made this move yet????? :rolleyes: This team moves like it wears concrete shoes. Remember the days when the Cowboys were the innovators of the NFL? They brought computers into the NFL...tracked stats....Way ahead of the curve.

Now we are lucky if we can make a transaction on a bar napkin. Jesus Jerry...Just do it:mad:

Hey man it's a process... we're building our defense with other teams rejects and the draft

No we don't have a defensive wizard like belicheck coaching them but you wouldn't guess with Stephen

And I'm sure once that process is over we will have missed our prime window with our vaunted oline then we will be in a process there as well

waldoputty

Reaction score
I would do it but Idk if Stephen would like him

i thought they were interested in the last trade deadline but the jets wanted a first.
the price must have come down.
and if he is not traded, the price will likely come down further this next trade deadline.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
he is a LEGIT playmaker. instantly the best player at ANY position on the DL.

If that's not the kind of talent we need then I am confused.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score

Yup....

LDE-Crawford/D-Law
DT-Irving/Richardson
NT-Collins/Paea
RDE-Tapper/Draft pick(Rivers)

I can start to buy into that...;)

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score

If he had played here the past two years all you folks would be calling him a JAG

waldoputty

Reaction score
If he had played here the past two years all you folks would be calling him a JAG

the guy was a defensive rookie of the year.
there was a lot of interest at trade deadline, but the Jets wanted a 1st round pick.

http://nypost.com/2016/11/02/why-cowboys-refused-tempting-sheldon-richardson-trade/
Why Cowboys refused ‘tempting’ Sheldon Richardson trade
The Dallas Cowboys have the best record in the NFC and appear to have put their forgettable 4-12 record from a year ago in the rearview.

But as injuries continue to peck away at their defense, rumors began to swirl regarding a possible deal for Jets defensive lineman Sheldon Richardson before Tuesday’s deadline. But the deadline came and went with Dallas holding firm.

Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said the team didn’t pull the trigger because the asking price was too high.

The trade rumors were fast and furious about Jets defensive... “You can’t just overpay for something even though you may want it and it may be tempting,” Jones said Wednesday, via the Star Telegram. “We just didn’t feel like the value was there in terms of the trade for us.

“… As I’ve said all along, we always look for opportunities to get better, but we’re certainly not going to force the issue. At some point, if you will, [you could] really compromise our team in the future overpaying for something for the moment.”

The Cowboys might be without two key pieces in their secondary, Barry Church and Morris Claiborne, for a considerable amount of time. Dallas might have been tempted to address its absences by beefing up its defensive line. Richardson, who was the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year, has 18 sacks during his 3 1/2-year career with the Jets, but he will be a free agent at the end of next season and would command a lucrative deal if the Jets don’t place the franchise tag on him then.

Despite the injuries on defense and Tony Romo out since August with a back injury, Jones believes Dallas is solid on both sides of the ball. “We think we’ve got a solid football team on the defensive side of the ball,” Jones said. “The offense certainly complements our defense and that side of the ball in terms of how it controls the ball, possesses the ball, gives them time with the long drives they’ve been able to have. It’s a great complement to the defense. It’s a young defense. It’s a defense that, even though it’s not established from the past, we have a lot of players who don’t have a lot of past production. I do think it’s a group of players who keep getting better and are playing well.”

This article originally appeared on Fox Sports.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
the guy was a defensive rookie of the year.
there was a lot of interest at trade deadline, but the Jets wanted a 1st round pick.

http://nypost.com/2016/11/02/why-cowboys-refused-tempting-sheldon-richardson-trade/
Why Cowboys refused ‘tempting’ Sheldon Richardson trade
The Dallas Cowboys have the best record in the NFC and appear to have put their forgettable 4-12 record from a year ago in the rearview.

But as injuries continue to peck away at their defense, rumors began to swirl regarding a possible deal for Jets defensive lineman Sheldon Richardson before Tuesday’s deadline. But the deadline came and went with Dallas holding firm.

Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said the team didn’t pull the trigger because the asking price was too high.

The trade rumors were fast and furious about Jets defensive... “You can’t just overpay for something even though you may want it and it may be tempting,” Jones said Wednesday, via the Star Telegram. “We just didn’t feel like the value was there in terms of the trade for us.

“… As I’ve said all along, we always look for opportunities to get better, but we’re certainly not going to force the issue. At some point, if you will, [you could] really compromise our team in the future overpaying for something for the moment.”

The Cowboys might be without two key pieces in their secondary, Barry Church and Morris Claiborne, for a considerable amount of time. Dallas might have been tempted to address its absences by beefing up its defensive line. Richardson, who was the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year, has 18 sacks during his 3 1/2-year career with the Jets, but he will be a free agent at the end of next season and would command a lucrative deal if the Jets don’t place the franchise tag on him then.

Despite the injuries on defense and Tony Romo out since August with a back injury, Jones believes Dallas is solid on both sides of the ball. “We think we’ve got a solid football team on the defensive side of the ball,” Jones said. “The offense certainly complements our defense and that side of the ball in terms of how it controls the ball, possesses the ball, gives them time with the long drives they’ve been able to have. It’s a great complement to the defense. It’s a young defense. It’s a defense that, even though it’s not established from the past, we have a lot of players who don’t have a lot of past production. I do think it’s a group of players who keep getting better and are playing well.”

This article originally appeared on Fox Sports.
That doesn't change what he's done the past couple seasons. He's already peaked and is going downhill