Shortage in elite QB's

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don’t think they are WAYYY better equipped, no. If he produces SB wins with the team (whilst playing the position extremely well during the postseason), then they are WAYYY better equipped. If he does not, and they lose players and the team never reaches their ultimate goal then it’s just a matter of much ado about nothing. The stats and individual awards will prove that his contributions do not matter much more than everyone else’s with regards to team success.
Yeah I get what you’re saying I just disagree. NFL is hard. We know more than anyone…..one year you could go to the SB and improve your team and be a first round exit. It’s just so hard to take that year to year approach when each year is different and the opposing teams get better.

That team won in spite of Jimmy. They win now in part because of Purdys play at the position.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
This is a lame argument. SF has been to 3 super bowls in the last 11 years. Dallas has 2 playoff wins. Are you suggesting SF hasn't accomplished anything since 1995? They have also been to 6 NFCCG's since 1995 but I guess that doesn't matter either, right?
I mean he’s right though. If the goal is to win rings….San Fran is in a rut too. A prettier rut than us. Well I guess it depends they get to the SB and lose. We don’t sniff it. All same results.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
QBs are not coached like years past since the onslaught of run/pass offenses QB use the short pass at a much higher rate.
Less time in the pocket means less arm strength and accuracy development. IDK if the amount of elite QBs has changed or not, but the next level down , the guys who need years of development aren't getting it. the minute they are required to preform in the pocket with any pressure, they fail.
That's the difference between today's QBs and 20 years ago

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I mean he’s right though. If the goal is to win rings….San Fran is in a rut too. A prettier rut than us. Well I guess it depends they get to the SB and lose. We don’t sniff it. All same results.
Good point. But I would much rather be in SF’s shoes this century. Winning three NFC championships since 2012…3 SB appearances. That’s a rut I would welcome.

Blitzen

Reaction score
I say using terms like "diamonds in the rough" for QBs in the current CBA is preposterous.

Our mindset should be Current Market value for QBs.

Some think Prescott is not worth the value of having a proven competent QB.

They hope Jerry Jones can find a diamond in the rough.

Will Jerry Jones pay the current market value for a proven QB if Prescott leaves?

Or will Jerry Jones trade a 3rd for Drew Henson, a 4th for Trey Lance?

If we ever get the chance to draft the next Trevor Lawrence with NIL $$$ negotiating money will Stephen pay $70M for the Dak Haters next narratives?

It's not hard there is only ONE Patrick Mahomes...

But their are many proven QBs with Current Market Value contracts...Allen, Lamar, Watson, Herbert, Prescott, Burrow.

Team Leadership is the most important to overall success.

Team Leadership has failed at the Playoff level.

We are Cowboys fans regardless as to whom the starting QB is. The front office does not have to follow other teams in extending a QB that has proven he can win several regular season games. Dak is correct in presuming that he will get a large contract with some team within the next 9 months. Who knows what will happen when the Cowboys eventually move on from Prescott? Hopefully, they recognize that the entire team needs to be constructed better (coaching, players, front office staff).

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Good point. But I would much rather be in SF’s shoes this century. Winning three NFC championships since 2012…3 SB appearances. That’s a rut I would welcome.
And I get that too. I mean I’m over here arguing with people I’d rather make the playoffs than win 3 games next season. So I’ll take my heartbreak in the conference or Super Bowl then I would the wild card. No doubt there. But……they’re ringless longer than we have so I’ll have to settle for that lol.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
In the early to middle 90's there certainly were more than there is now
Kelly and Elway and Aikman and Favre and Marino and Young
It was just after Montana who had set the standard
Give me Warren moon,Randall Cunningham,Boomer Esiason
or even Jeff George over most QBs these days

FanofJerry

Reaction score
I’m just making the case that Purdy has the best overall roster in the NFC and the last two years had an outstanding defense and running game. Not saying he‘s terrible. But I am saying he is greatly aided by a roster he wouldn’t have on any other NFC team. It’s hard to imagine Purdy being as good on a team like the cardinals or the commanders.
So...take it further with Purdy.

What are you doing when his contract is up for negotiating?

Youre offering 17.5% because he hasnt won a SB...and if he doesnt like it, he can walk?

The rookie contract QB talk makes sense until a decent, fan favorite QB's 2nd contract is up for negotiating. Thats when the Anti-Pay crowd gets into a pickle as Imaginary GM.

The NFL will turn into a worse product if teams are using rookie contracts and then rinse/repeat unless the guy is Michael Jordan.

But...money is the root of all evil. It ruins anything and everything.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Kelly and Elway and Aikman and Favre and Marino and Youn
IDK........show me a Super Bowl QB who DID NOT have at least one/two elite players on both sides of the ball and/or superior coaching. I mean how does Aikman win w/o Michael Irvin and Emmitt Smith? Kelly and Marino never won a Super Bowl. I think the so-called QB carrying a defense card is overrated. I do think an elite QB can get you to the postseason but it takes a TEAM to win it.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Yeah I get what you’re saying I just disagree. NFL is hard. We know more than anyone…..one year you could go to the SB and improve your team and be a first round exit. It’s just so hard to take that year to year approach when each year is different and the opposing teams get better.

That team won in spite of Jimmy. They win now in part because of Purdys play at the position.

Yeah, the same team will improve and decline at the same time to varying degrees. I think fans and management get complacent when they think somehow that all things will hold equal the following season.

Purdy is a good tier 2 QB on a great team, but just watching them-you can see how utterly dependent they are on several key players. I assume they will give him a huge extension after this season, but I think that will decrease his and their ability to keep this level of success. Lots of their players have big contracts-though they seem to get like 12 good compensatory picks every single year.

Bagman

Reaction score
I think every team is a case by case study.

I don’t think Pat Mahomes could save that Panthers team. They were destined to be mad

Like with most positions in the NFL the media and fans just get lazy. Things are never just black and white.

As far as Purdy goes…yes he benefits off his team around him but he’s a good quarterback. He shouldn’t be penalized because his front office knows how to build a team around him.

And we also saw what Jimmy G and Lance looked with that same team and did not look as good. I think Purdy is the real deal.
We've also seen what Purdy looks like when he doesn't have all his weapons. Or when his blocking breaks down. A supporting cast is absolutely critical to ANY QBs success.

NotForLong

Reaction score
I see so many media and people on this board that post how there are not enough competent starting QB’s in the league and I fully call BS. I think there is a shortage of elite QB’s in the league and always has been (and will be). I think there are only 1-3 QB’s in any year that are so good that they can make good squads great. There are levels of QB’s, but I think most QB’s belong in the second tier of QB’s (if they are on an NFL roster for more than 4 seasons).

I think most QB’s are on poor rosters and never get the chance to actually show they can competently start in this league. Washington has not been a good squad for decades, but they were not a Dak Prescott away from being a winning club. They have been a poorly (the most poorly) run franchise since the mid to late 90’s-that may change for the most part because of new ownership (front office)-not because of the QB just picked.

Maybe front offices/coaching staffs are charged with needing such high levels of success, that they force high picks on QB’s and cannot adequately surround them with enough talent in the time given to them. After 2-3 years the rebuilding process begins again with new coaches, QB, and sometimes FO. The old QB (though probably fewer than 5 years in the league) becomes a backup somewhere and might get another chance if the stars align correctly (hello Geno Smith, Baker Mayfield). Baker is a pretty good case study as he performed very well with Tampa Bay last season, but yet was terrible with Carolina the season prior. The point is that the overall team construction could be causing the fallacy of believing these teams really need a franchise QB-when in fact it could mean the team just sucks as a roster and needs to be rebuilt properly and likely patiently.

What say you? Franchise (but not elite) QB’s are super important to winning-or is it that teams just need much better construction and sometimes better patience on building the whole roster. Take SF-is their success more a result of their overall roster talent and coaching-or is a huge piece of it the greatness that is Mr. Irrelevant. I truly believe Brock Purdy would not have fared much (if any) better than Bryce Young in Carolina last season. The term franchise QB is just a media driven term to make people think about head to head battles as though the QB’s actually compete against one another and not the opposing team’s defense.

Take the early 2000’s Cowboys’ teams. Were they good teams just waiting for a Dak Prescott or Tony Romo to make them great? Or were those teams poorly constructed and coached? Yeah, again I am of the opinion that those teams were destined to finish towards the bottom of the league because of overall roster construction, draft capital (and strategy), coaching, and front office decision making.
Go back to 1990s rules and you solve the problem

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I think every team is a case by case study.

I don’t think Pat Mahomes could save that Panthers team. They were destined to be mad

Like with most positions in the NFL the media and fans just get lazy. Things are never just black and white.

As far as Purdy goes…yes he benefits off his team around him but he’s a good quarterback. He shouldn’t be penalized because his front office knows how to build a team around him.

And we also saw what Jimmy G and Lance looked with that same team and did not look as good. I think Purdy is the real deal.
We didn't see Lance.

But they looked just as good with Jimmy G. Didn't lose once they had Cmac. Jimmy had 0 interceptions after that point. His numbers were very good in 2022, even counting the non-Cmac games at the start.

Not to mention a trip to the Superbowl, and another NFC title game while he was QB.

Qcard

Reaction score
We are Cowboys fans regardless as to whom the starting QB is. The front office does not have to follow other teams in extending a QB that has proven he can win several regular season games. Dak is correct in presuming that he will get a large contract with some team within the next 9 months. Who knows what will happen when the Cowboys eventually move on from Prescott? Hopefully, they recognize that the entire team needs to be constructed better (coaching, players, front office staff).
There goes that hope thing again.... :laugh:

I hope Cowboy Fans realize this is not the 60s/70s where guys worked the docks after playing NFL games or 80s/90s Free Agency era where Jerry could build a juggernaut.

These NIL kids aren't coming to the table hungry. I fully expect Elite College QBs to tell the Cowboys to take a hike. Micah Parson is the vanguard and by all accounts social/ new media will give Top Prospects more control.

Or will they hope that Jerry and Stephen will hire the right coach and supporting cast?:lmao2:

Dak Haters have painted this narrative like Market value QBs grow on trees?

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Yeah, the same team will improve and decline at the same time to varying degrees. I think fans and management get complacent when they think somehow that all things will hold equal the following season.

Purdy is a good tier 2 QB on a great team, but just watching them-you can see how utterly dependent they are on several key players. I assume they will give him a huge extension after this season, but I think that will decrease his and their ability to keep this level of success. Lots of their players have big contracts-though they seem to get like 12 good compensatory picks every single year.
What success?

Purdy and the Niners is a stain on the rookie contract argument.

If Dak is being held to such high standards...Im holding the Purdy/San Fran experiment to such standards.

Blitzen

Reaction score
There goes that hope thing again.... :laugh:

I hope Cowboy Fans realize this is not the 60s/70s where guys worked the docks after playing NFL games or 80s/90s Free Agency era where Jerry could build a juggernaut.

These NIL kids aren't coming to the table hungry. I fully expect Elite College QBs to tell the Cowboys to take a hike. Micah Parson is the vanguard and by all accounts social/ new media will give Top Prospects more control.

Or will they hope that Jerry and Stephen will hire the right coach and supporting cast?:lmao2:

Dak Haters have painted this narrative like Market value QBs grow on trees?

What’s your point? Franchise QB’s are difficult to replace and get similar results?

Market prices have gone up? Jerry and Stephen are not above criticism? Players market themselves more now than decades ago?