Shortage in elite QB's

Blitzen

Reaction score
What success?

Purdy and the Niners is a stain on the rookie contract argument.

If Dak is being held to such high standards...Im holding the Purdy/San Fran experiment to such standards.

You’ll have to inform me about what the rookie contract argument is that you are speaking about.

Qcard

Reaction score
What’s your point?
We do not have the structure in the Cowboys team to sign a Market Value QB to be successful.

I don't hope for some alternative reality.

Maybe if Jerry Jones changes the leadership structure.

Jerry and Stephen lucked into Romo and by the time they realized Prescott had won over the Lockerroom they started playing catch-up with their Dak relationship and sliming for a discount on the 2021 contract after Prescott played on a 4th RD pick contract .

Why didn't they approach Dak in 2017 or 2018?

Because Jerry and Stephen do NOT know how to evaluate QBs.

They evaluate Franchise QB:thumbdown: based on whom can take a cruise on the yacht and fit in, comfort thingy.....Yep College QB wants to hang out with Jerry and Stephen at sea :lmao2:

Franchise QB’s are difficult to replace and get similar results?
Ehhh, Market Value QBs are readily available with the right Team Leadership and commitment to winning. Jerry and Stephen Jones only LUCK into QBs that ulltimately prove to be consistent QB worthy market value Contracts.
Market prices have gone up?
The pay checks from the TV deals go up too...the escalators are set Privy only to the Owners....Are you against trickle down economics or the Owners need to be paid MORE because they OWN
Jerry and Stephen are not above criticism?
I actually Love Jerry!!

If Stephen becomes the eventual owner I will campaign to have the NFL force the Cowboys to hire a competent GM based nepotistic incompetence :laugh: :laugh:

Players market themselves more now than decades ago?
No, the marketing tools are better. If Deion Sanders had today's social media how much money is it worth to the Cowboys to bring 1.8M followers....do the Jersey sell Math Year 1??

Last edited:

HungryLion

Reaction score
By definition elite are the few at the very top.

If there were 10 of them. They wouldn’t be elite.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
There’s a shortage of QBs you can win consistently with which is why just good QBs are making an enormous amount of money. Trevor Lawrence has been just average but equaled Joe Burrow as the highest paid QB in the league because Jacksonville has nothing behind him. It’s become more difficult to play the position because so much is put on the QB. Most games come down to QBs having to make a play. Teams that have a good QB who are capable of getting them to the playoffs are afraid to move on from them and are forced to pay them the market price or be left with nothing at the position. If you don’t have a good QB, you have to use a high draft pick and less than 50% of them pan out. A lot of these QBs that go in the first round don’t even deserve to be first round picks but teams are desperate and have to overdraft them.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I see so many media and people on this board that post how there are not enough competent starting QB’s in the league and I fully call BS.
You’re wasting your time listening to most of the fans on this board. This is a stupid fan base. They don’t think the QB we have is competent. Some claim he sucks and isn’t even an NFL caliber QB and that’s no exaggeration. I’ve seen posts with idiots actually saying that. They think a QB like Mahomes grow on trees and can easily be found. They think all you have to do is use a first round pick on a QB and bingo! There’s no harder position to play than QB in the NFL. They’re making so much money it’s becoming tougher to build real good teams around them. I really haven’t seen anyone in the media say there isn’t enough “competent” QBs in the NFL.

Even the best ones struggle at times. Joe Burrow has had his ups and downs and has suffered injuries. Fans in Buffalo are getting frustrated with Josh Allen and his turnovers. He’s had his problems in the playoffs. Lamar Jackson has struggled in the playoffs. All of them make mistakes and have bad games. Of the QBs that have been drafted since Dak was drafted in 2016 only Mahomes has won a SB. You can’t just move on from a good QB who’s productive and consistently leads your team to the playoffs because they haven’t had enough playoff success or won a SB.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I think most QB’s are on poor rosters and never get the chance to actually show they can competently start in this league.
I’m sorry, but that’s a ridiculous comment.
:rolleyes: You can’t be serious thinking most NFL QBs are on poor rosters where they can’t actually show they can competently start in the league. Dude that’s hilarious. :laugh: There’s a lot of parody in the NFL due to the salary cap and free agency. QBs are more productive now than they’ve ever been. A 4000 yard season has become routine and most QBs are completing more than 60% of their passes. CJ Stroud had a terrific rookie season on a team that was terrible the previous year. A majority of the starting QBs in the league have a higher career passer rating than some Hall of Fame QBs from the 70s and 80s. I really don’t know what you’re seeing to think that most NFL rosters are poor. That’s not even close to being true. The games are exciting and last years Super Bowl was a thriller that went to OT.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yeah, the same team will improve and decline at the same time to varying degrees. I think fans and management get complacent when they think somehow that all things will hold equal the following season.

Purdy is a good tier 2 QB on a great team, but just watching them-you can see how utterly dependent they are on several key players. I assume they will give him a huge extension after this season, but I think that will decrease his and their ability to keep this level of success. Lots of their players have big contracts-though they seem to get like 12 good compensatory picks every single year.
They are but he also makes some damn good throws. They will eventually lose talent…seems like Aiyuk might be first pick to go so we will see how he takes that.

gtb1943

Reaction score
You’re wasting your time listening to most of the fans on this board. This is a stupid fan base. They don’t think the QB we have is competent. Some claim he sucks and isn’t even an NFL caliber QB and that’s no exaggeration. I’ve seen posts with idiots actually saying that. They think a QB like Mahomes grow on trees and can easily be found. They think all you have to do is use a first round pick on a QB and bingo! There’s no harder position to play than QB in the NFL. They’re making so much money it’s becoming tougher to build real good teams around them. I really haven’t seen anyone in the media say there isn’t enough “competent” QBs in the NFL.

Even the best ones struggle at times. Joe Burrow has had his ups and downs and has suffered injuries. Fans in Buffalo are getting frustrated with Josh Allen and his turnovers. He’s had his problems in the playoffs. Lamar Jackson has struggled in the playoffs. All of them make mistakes and have bad games. Of the QBs that have been drafted since Dak was drafted in 2016 only Mahomes has won a SB. You can’t just move on from a good QB who’s productive and consistently leads your team to the playoffs because they haven’t had enough playoff success or won a SB.
Thus speaks someone satisfied with being relevant.
You look at the teams that have won SBs in the last ten years and many of them made changes at QB to get there. Many on the losing side did as well.
And here we sit fat dumb and happy that we win 12 regular season games a year

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
We've also seen what Purdy looks like when he doesn't have all his weapons. Or when his blocking breaks down. A supporting cast is absolutely critical to ANY QBs success.
I agree that a supporting cast is critical to a QBs success. I just said exactly that. I just think he plays his role and part well too.

Blitzen

Reaction score
We do not have the structure in the Cowboys team to sign a Market Value QB to be successful.

I don't hope for some alternative reality.

Maybe if Jerry Jones changes the leadership structure.

Jerry and Stephen lucked into Romo and by the time they realized Prescott had won over the Lockerroom they started playing catch-up with their Dak relationship and sliming for a discount on the 2021 contract after Prescott played on a 4th RD pick contract .

Why didn't they approach Dak in 2017 or 2018?

Because Jerry and Stephen do NOT know how to evaluate QBs.

They evaluate Franchise QB:thumbdown: based on whom can take a cruise on the yacht and fit in, comfort thingy.....Yep College QB wants to hang out with Jerry and Stephen at sea :lmao2:

Ehhh, Market Value QBs are readily available with the right Team Leadership and commitment to winning. Jerry and Stephen Jones only LUCK into QBs that ulltimately prove to be consistent QB worthy market value Contracts.

The pay checks from the TV deals go up too...the escalators are set Privy only to the Owners....Are you against trickle down economics or the Owners need to be paid MORE because they OWN

I actually Love Jerry!!

If Stephen becomes the eventual owner I will campaign to have the NFL force the Cowboys to hire a competent GM based nepotistic incompetence :laugh: :laugh:

No, the marketing tools are better. If Deion Sanders had today's social media how much money is it worth to the Cowboys to bring 1.8M followers....do the Jersey sell Math Year 1??

You are a better poster when you are not focused on he who must not be named. I doubt that you will find many here that somehow champion Jerry and Stephen as football savants that will find a great replacement of the current QB. However, it’s not like they’ve taken many great big swings at finding a QB since Aikman (Paxton Lynch almost).

The Jones’ run the ship like drunken sailors, and the fans that are actually Cowboys fans hope they hit blackjack once in a very long time. Even if they’ve proven they have no idea how to play blackjack.

I don’t care how much a QB makes, but have no problem with the Jones’ moving on from the current QB. A rebuild could happen organically or purposely. If those that doubt the Jones’ ability to find another QB as good or better also feel that they have an equal inability to build a postseason juggernaut with the current QB-then we truly are on the same side. Plus, then who cares which direction the team ultimately decides going?

The markets are changing and I agree that players have more access to connecting with fans than ever before which improves their money making ability-no argument there. I don’t know that I love Jerry and Stephen, but don’t mind them as much as I once did. I’d rather they put in more buffers between them and the players because I think you can run the risk of blurred managerial lines otherwise.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
We didn't see Lance.

But they looked just as good with Jimmy G. Didn't lose once they had Cmac. Jimmy had 0 interceptions after that point. His numbers were very good in 2022, even counting the non-Cmac games at the start.

Not to mention a trip to the Superbowl, and another NFC title game while he was QB.
What do you mean we didn’t see Lance? He played and they determined he wasn’t good enough.

And you guys keep using team success to determine how good or bad these guys are. Purdy is a much better quarterback than Jimmy G. He legit is one of the best quarterbacks in the league and he’s only been playing 2 years.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Decent enough should have been good enough to not lose to a WC team right? I mean if we are going to be honest, we had what 11 pro-bowlers on the team? No lack of play makers and super stars.
Decent enough should’ve been good enough to get out the wild card. I agree there.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I have said it for many years, if Brady had been drafted by the Browns he likely would be someone who had a decent career in football and no one would be lauding him as the GOAT. We likely wouldn't even hear about him once he left the game. I doubt he would have played into his 40's.
:lmao: :lmao: You only hear this kind of gold here. Thanks for the laugh! :lmao2::lmao2:

Blitzen

Reaction score
I’m sorry, but that’s a ridiculous comment.
:rolleyes: You can’t be serious thinking most NFL QBs are on poor rosters where they can’t actually show they can competently start in the league. Dude that’s hilarious. :laugh: There’s a lot of parody in the NFL due to the salary cap and free agency. QBs are more productive now than they’ve ever been. A 4000 yard season has become routine and most QBs are completing more than 60% of their passes. CJ Stroud had a terrific rookie season on a team that was terrible the previous year. A majority of the starting QBs in the league have a higher career passer rating than some Hall of Fame QBs from the 70s and 80s. I really don’t know what you’re seeing to think that most NFL rosters are poor. That’s not even close to being true. The games are exciting and last years Super Bowl was a thriller that went to OT.

I mean that I think most QB’s that are drafted high and have terrible seasons or never really get to remain starter did not necessarily suck as bad as they may have looked.

I think most of them are products of their team-good or bad. I don’t think Baker is as bad as he showed with the Panthers just over a year ago. I don’t think Geno Smith was as poor as he showed with the Jets. I don’t think Goff is the reason or even main reason the Lions had so much success last season (he’s a cog and they must feel like they are close enough to a championship window that they needed to secure his services even though he’s getting older-and weighing their chances on getting someone better during the window).

CJ went to a team that were in a ton of very close games the season prior. The Texans were not as bad as the 2022 season record reflected. However, CJ played great and helped them take big strides on offense and without much of a running game. But the rest of the roster performed better too-new coaches may have helped.

I disagree that QB’s somehow have a tougher time now with more passing. I think the short/intermediate pass game is used heavily in any WCO or version of it-which boosts passing numbers. Some teams still ground/pound and heavy playaction though-depends on the team.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Thus speaks someone satisfied with being relevant.
You look at the teams that have won SBs in the last ten years and many of them made changes at QB to get there. Many on the losing side did as well.
And here we sit fat dumb and happy that we win 12 regular season games a year
I’m not satisfied with anything, but if we end up with lesser than what we have at QB we won’t be relevant. The Chiefs made a change at QB because they had a journeyman in Alex Smith who had been in the league 12 years and was 32 years old. They saw an opportunity to get potentially a great QB and they made a move in the draft. It couldn’t have worked out better for them. Tampa made a change at QB a few years ago because Jameis Winston was a turnover machine. They went all in with Tom Brady and put a great team around him. The Rams made a change at QB swapping Jared Goff for Matt Stafford and went all in putting a great team around him.

Stafford didn’t win anything in Detroit for 11 years and all of a sudden wins a Super Bowl on a loaded team. Goff probably could’ve won it all with that team. Both the Bucs and Rams declined once they started losing players despite their QB. Heck, Jared Goff looks better than Stafford does now because he has a better team. If we had a stacked roster offensively and defensively we could win with the QB we have. I will not respond if you try and make this about Dak.

gtb1943

Reaction score
I see your point but i still would take him over most of the current ones
Jeff George was another one who had a cannon arm but not the brains to go with it
Still I can agree I would choose him over some starting today

gtb1943

Reaction score
I’m not satisfied with anything, but if we end up with lesser than what we have at QB we won’t be relevant. The Chiefs made a change at QB because they had a journeyman in Alex Smith who had been in the league 12 years and was 32 years old. They saw an opportunity to get potentially a great QB and they made a move in the draft. It couldn’t have worked out better for them. Tampa made a change at QB a few years ago because Jameis Winston was a turnover machine. They went all in with Tom Brady and put a great team around him. The Rams made a change at QB swapping Jared Goff for Matt Stafford and went all in putting a great team around him.

Stafford didn’t want anything in Detroit for 11 years and all of a sudden wins a Super Bowl on a loaded team. Both the Bucs and Rams declined once they started losing players despite their QB. Heck Jared Goff looks better than Stafford does now because he has a better team. If we had a stacked roster offensively and defensively we could win with the QB we have. I will not respond if you try and make this about Dak.
Not everything is about dak like the dak bots say
BUT the point I am making is that those teams were willing to take risks at the QB position and it paid off better than anything we have done for a very long time