Should Dallas draft Kyle Trask in 3rd-4th round?

blueblood70

Reaction score
not beofre the 4th but if QB lie Trask, Book, Mond, or SameEetc are there around 4th sure we could use another backup / developmental player..

however what happened to GG i thought hes the second coming of Foles will lead us to the promise land when dak gets hurt late..lol

blueblood70

Reaction score
on serious note i dont see big deference between Trask and Mac Jones yet projected matt Jones goes 3rd to SF is insane my gut says NE takes Trask either at 15 or in the second..hes TB12 type qb in stature anyway..

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I just saw the Saints were looking at Trask as a possible 1st or 2nd round pick.
No, late round.
“There was a little bit of buzz that the Saints like him [at Florida’s pro day],” Fowler said during an appearance on SportsCenter. “So they’ve got Jameis Winston and Taysom Hill this year, maybe they get a guy like Trask, get him in your building, develop him, he can be an option in 2022. They could at least look into that in the later rounds.”
https://saintswire.usatoday.com/2021/04/06/saints-kyle-trask-florida-nfl-draft-prospects/

Trask is a poor prospect. His draft stock is no better than Jake Fromm's was last year.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I'd bet a mountain of money MM drafts a QB, but he's not sitting Dak just to force a rookie into playing time.

Also, I liked Trask until I really watched him closely. He really struggles reading a defense after the snap and forces a lot of passes. He also has questionable arm strength. The combo of those traits tells me at the next level he's probably going to throw a lot of picks.

I agree with those calling for Mills (lightning fast release) or Ehlinger (not gonna find a fiercer competitor).

Vanilla2

Reaction score
Why stop at giving him a few games. Let home rotate series with Dak like the old days.

Carson

Reaction score
I'd bet a mountain of money MM drafts a QB, but he's not sitting Dak just to force a rookie into playing time.

Also, I liked Trask until I really watched him closely. He really struggles reading a defense after the snap and forces a lot of passes. He also has questionable arm strength. The combo of those traits tells me at the next level he's probably going to throw a lot of picks.

I agree with those calling for Mills (lightning fast release) or Ehlinger (not gonna find a fiercer competitor).
Anybody has to be better than DiNucci. Yeah, he was a 7th round pick thrown to the wolves. I just didn’t see it at JMU. I didn’t see anything positive from him

texbumthelife

Reaction score
on serious note i dont see big deference between Trask and Mac Jones yet projected matt Jones goes 3rd to SF is insane my gut says NE takes Trask either at 15 or in the second..hes TB12 type qb in stature anyway..

Mac Jones probably has the best touch on his passes of anyone in the draft. His timing and ball placement were elite. That said, he also played on what was essentially an NFL team. Trask is a guy at his ceiling, to me. He's probably a lifetime backup. Mac Jones has considerably more upside having a stronger arm and already having a quicker release/better placement ability.

boysfanindc

Reaction score
I like Jamie Newman much later, he will need some time but has a large upside and has the tools.

Could be had in the 5th/6th.

cowboyec

Reaction score
it wouldn't bother me.
i like trask.
but i'd rather have a double dip on defense in the 3rd and 4th Rds...grab a QB later.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If I got trask, what I would do is look at the schedule and try to pick 2-3 games with weaker teams, spread apart, and tell him at
start of Season, these are your games, so start studying these teams now. That way he would have plenty of time to study those teams defense's,
and let him start and finish those games for several reasons.
1. give dak time off to rest and study his next opponent, it is a 17 game season and better if he is rested and not all beat up when playoffs start.
2.give trask playing time, see how he does,find out what you have in him.
3. the other team would think they are playing dak, so they would not be prepared for Trask.
You don't predetermine that you will sit your starting QB 12% of the season. Those 2 games could easily decide the division and playoff positioning.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Nope. Maybe if he's there in the 6th. Give me a backup who can run around a bit.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
I rather Draft a RB in rounds 3-4.. Somebody to push Zeke...

Scotman

Reaction score
I'd draft a QB prospect every year. Every single year until I think I've really got something. BUT...NO WAY I pick one up in the third round when I just loaded my current QB up with a Brinks truck full of franchise cash. The middle rounds are the meat of the team. I'm picking up the best prospects in positions of need that I can get in those middle rounds. You don't start throwing darts at the board until the 6th round or later. 7th round picks are a perfect place to gamble on kickers, QB's, the injured and the fallen. NOT in the third round. Whether you like Dak or not, he's the QB going forward. Telling him a rookie gets a handful of games to start right from the beginning of the season is literally one of the most divisive things you could possibly do to a team.

If you have a young guy you want to get some playing time, he gets mop up duty when the game is all but won. Last few minutes of the 4th quarter.

Patrick

Reaction score
Give me a late round flyer on a guy like Shane Buechele instead of wasting a good pick on a guy who may not even get a chance to play any meaningful snaps during his rookie contract.