Should Dallas draft Kyle Trask in 3rd-4th round?

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
I don't start looking at a backup/developmental QB until the 4th and preferably the 5th or later. We need contributors, and this would be a guy that I hope never sees the field.

kskboys

Reaction score
Ok just read some on him after seeing him in the pitts hl reel.
He is a big guy 6'5 250 very accurate 70% and very few int's.
In fact the only negative was he didnt throw the deep ball or do it well, and he is not a running qb.
He moves in pocket well senses pressure well, is smart, and he has taken snaps from under center, as well
as shotgun.
I would grab him if he is still there in the 3rd , or if you want to gamble try and get him in the 4th.

The reason I say this, is dak may or may not be the guy, and he may or may not get back to his previous level.
And if he got hurt again or had to miss some games, or they just want to give him a week off, they could
if they had Trask.
Trask would make a cheap bkup, and he would also be insurance for if dak doesnt pan out.

You never know what is going to happen, and with Trask dallas would be prepared to continue if something
did happen to dak. I will or someone else could add some trask HL to this thread.
From what I saw he looked really good.
I'd be shocked if Trask doesn't go in the 2nd. Possibly late 1st.

KB1122

Reaction score
If you are going to pick a quarterback, put on the man pants and trade up in the first round to get the one you want.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
In fact the only negative was he didnt throw the deep ball or do it well, and he is not a running qb.
He moves in pocket well senses pressure well, is smart, and he has taken snaps from under center, as well
as shotgun.
I would grab him if he is still there in the 3rd , or if you want to gamble try and get him in the 4th.

The reason I say this, is dak may or may not be the guy, and he may or may not get back to his previous level.
And if he got hurt again or had to miss some games, or they just want to give him a week off, they could
if they had Trask.
Trask would make a cheap bkup, and he would also be insurance for if dak doesnt pan out.

You never know what is going to happen, and with Trask dallas would be prepared to continue if something
did happen to dak. I will or someone else could add some trask HL to this thread.
I have heard him mentioned as a possible 1st rounder
I would jump at him in the 3rd round if available.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
If I got trask, what I would do is look at the schedule and try to pick 2-3 games with weaker teams, spread apart, and tell him at
start of Season, these are your games, so start studying these teams now. That way he would have plenty of time to study those teams defense's,
and let him start and finish those games for several reasons.
1. give dak time off to rest and study his next opponent, it is a 17 game season and better if he is rested and not all beat up when playoffs start.
2.give trask playing time, see how he does,find out what you have in him.
3. the other team would think they are playing dak, so they would not be prepared for Trask.

With all due respect, I think there are multiple bad ideas in this post.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
If you are going to pick a quarterback, put on the man pants and trade up in the first round to get the one you want.

Great idea, especially after paying Dak.

By the way, the last time Dallas tried to trade up in the first round for a QB it was for Paxton Lynch. When that failed they settled for Dak in the 4th round.

KB1122

Reaction score

By the way, the last time Dallas tried to trade up in the first round for a QB it was for Paxton Lynch. When that failed they settled for Dak in the 4th round.

I would still do it. I believe in competition and churning the position. I don't think the Cowboys will.

You're assuming drafting Paxton Lynch is automatically a worse thing. Most quarterbacks fail to win championships. At least we wouldn't be investing 10 years in Paxton Lynch. We would just move on.

Winonesoon

Reaction score

Yeah seems like a waste for the moment. I don't have a problem throwing darts and developing one. you just never know.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
as shotgun.

if they had Trask.

I like him among QBs. the questions I hear are about his arm strength....I don't mind him not being mobile. QBs scrambling and running is over rated IMO. accuracy, reading defenses and arm strenght are key

Motorola

Reaction score
I like Jamie Newman much later, he will need some time but has a large upside and has the tools.

Could be had in the 5th/6th.

Newman transfered to Goergia for his final year of eliigibility. However, just before the season started, he opted out. So he will be close to two years from being in a football wherever he starts training camp this summer.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
If Trask was there in the 4th rd then yes I would take him. Having said that I fully expect Trask to go late 1st or 2nd rd of the draft. I think he is a very good QB who had a poor bowl game in large part because most of his weapons opted out of the bowl game.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
No, late round.
“There was a little bit of buzz that the Saints like him [at Florida’s pro day],” Fowler said during an appearance on SportsCenter. “So they’ve got Jameis Winston and Taysom Hill this year, maybe they get a guy like Trask, get him in your building, develop him, he can be an option in 2022. They could at least look into that in the later rounds.”
https://saintswire.usatoday.com/2021/04/06/saints-kyle-trask-florida-nfl-draft-prospects/

Trask is a poor prospect. His draft stock is no better than Jake Fromm's was last year.
I’m just stating what has been said in the media. He’s climbing up peoples boards and I’ve heard possibly in the 1st round.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I’m just stating what has been said in the media. He’s climbing up peoples boards and I’ve heard possibly in the 1st round.
Link? Climbing up boards would be the exact opposite of everything else he's done this year.

The Saints thing comes from the Fowler comment, in which he specifically said late rounds.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Link? Climbing up boards would be the exact opposite of everything else he's done this year.

The Saints thing comes from the Fowler comment, in which he specifically said late rounds.
I’ll see if I can find a link. It was Greenberg and Schester around 10.....

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Should Dallas draft Kyle Trask in 3rd-4th round?
giphy.gif

DandyDon52

Reaction score
ok here is most of his snaps in Georgia game, a team who had beat them previous year I think. this isnt just the good hl.
pitts got hurt and didnt play the 2nd half.

boysfanindc

Reaction score
Newman transfered to Goergia for his final year of eliigibility. However, just before the season started, he opted out. So he will be close to two years from being in a football wherever he starts training camp this summer.

Yeah he is a developmental guy as a 5th/6th rounder, not your primary backup this year, but he has all the tools just needs some coaching.

Beaker42

Reaction score
on serious note i dont see big deference between Trask and Mac Jones yet projected matt Jones goes 3rd to SF is insane my gut says NE takes Trask either at 15 or in the second..hes TB12 type qb in stature anyway..
Jones is better than Trask. Look at the NC game and look at the bowl game performance from Trask.

Motorola

Reaction score
Yeah he is a developmental guy as a 5th/6th rounder, not your primary backup this year, but he has all the tools just needs some coaching.
With so much press and speculation about the top 5 rated QBs, a side note will be the "second tier" prospects - Trask, Kellen Mond, David Mills, Ian Book, Sam Ehlinger - when they will be selected and by whom.