Should Dallas draft Kyle Trask in 3rd-4th round?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t have a problem drafting a backup in the middle to late rounds. I’m not at all sold on Trask though. He’s certainly a draftable QB, but I’ve looked at his stats and have seen him play a few times. He’s only started about 20 games so he’s not even that experienced as a college starter.

He’s certainly talented, big, has a good arm, and can make some plays, but the difference in talent between the secondary he torched against Miss State or Vanderbilt is not even close to the NFL talent he would face on Sundays. College QBs that are similar to Trask are not that hard to find IMO.

Shane612

Reaction score
No. They should draft Davis Mills, and let him sit and learn for about 2-3 years.
He'll push Prescott to be better.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Feleipe Franks. Former Gator. ARK one year. Sorry, thought it was common knowledge who he was.
Big Kid with a good arm. Good dev prospect. Trask took his spot when he had a bad ankle injury.

I watched about 3 min of this, and he had 0 pressure on most plays, and many throws were to guys wide open lol I mean like all alone!
That is easy.
What I saw with trask was pressure all around him and making accurate throws to guys who were mostly well covered.

I am copying the names and going to look at all these other qb's.
But guys who are well protected throwing to open guys, doesnt tell you much except they can throw good passes in that situation.
but in nfl they wont have that protection or guys wide open.

TWOK11

Reaction score
We have a top 10 QB who is 27 years old and just signed a massive new contract. No way am I using a 3rd or 4th rounder on a QB.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Shane Buchelle is pro ready now and the better prospect. Trask will never be an NFL starter unless the guy in front of him gets hurt. He's a system guy.

I honestly don't care. I have seen Trask torch the best defenses in college football........he's 6'5.......... we could do worse. If Buschelle is so good why did he leave a big time program for a second tier college program like SMU? Its not like he transferred to OU.

Last edited:

Whyjerry

Reaction score
that would be drafting by need only.
better to take the bpa? and factor need into that.

Best available makes no sense. So Wilson drops to them - they take him? Chase drops to them - they take him? People say best available but need prevails. You trade the puck if best available makes no sense for you.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I honestly don't care. I have seen Trask torch the best defenses in college football........he's 6'5.......... we could do worse. If Buschelle is so good why did he leave a big time program for a second tier college program like SMU? Its not like he transferred to OU.
SMU had a QB vacancy at the time, OU had a long list of QB's in front of him. Guess it all depends on your flavor. I like the Gunslinger and accuracy factor of Buchelle. He hits people in stride almost every time.Trask has a very small body of work at Florida. Hard to gage what he will be.

erod

Reaction score
We just paid a middling quarterback like he's Joe Montana.

And now you want to further compromise matters by taking a QB high in the draft?

Personally I think this draft will produce one good quarterback. Two tops. The rest are Christian Ponders, Blaine Gabberts, and Tavarius Jacksons.

Everything rides on Prescott now. Gotta ride it out from here until he crumbles or wins a championship.

Rayman70

Reaction score
We just paid a middling quarterback like he's Joe Montana.

And now you want to further compromise matters by taking a QB high in the draft?

Personally I think this draft will produce one good quarterback. Two tops. The rest are Christian Ponders, Blaine Gabberts, and Tavarius Jacksons.

Everything rides on Prescott now. Gotta ride it out from here until he crumbles or wins a championship.
I hate it but its the market. BTW, in 2019 he DID have almost 5k yards passing. Thats not what I would call middling. Give the man more cred than that. jeesh lol.

erod

Reaction score
Best available makes no sense. So Wilson drops to them - they take him? Chase drops to them - they take him? People say best available but need prevails. You trade the puck if best available makes no sense for you.
Never ever, ever draft for need in the first round. Gets teams in trouble all the time.

The exception to that is if you have an elite quarterback already. Otherwise, best player every time in at least the first round, if not the second round also.

If you have 2-3 players that "tied", then take need.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Never ever, ever draft for need in the first round. Gets teams in trouble all the time.

The exception to that is if you have an elite quarterback already. Otherwise, best player every time in at least the first round, if not the second round also.

If you have 2-3 players that "tied", then take need.
agree^ What one hopes is you can marry need with BPA in round 1 and 2 really. After that, its value and need.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
For a backup QB, I really liked what I saw in Gilbert last year. There were at least two throws he made against Pittsburg that were incredibly high-level. I think there’s something to him.

DiNucci had no business holding roster spot. He’s practice squad fodder.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
give me DAVIS MILLS

SAM EHLINGER

I think I'd be inclined to draft Davis Mills before I'd consider Ehlinger. I wouldn't be surprised if Ehlinger might be available a bit later.

fivetwos

Reaction score
And both former Longhorns.
I like Buchele because his dad was one of my all time favorite Texas Rangers.
Steve Buechele had an absolute GUN of an arm from third base.

Not at all surprising that the kid is a QB.