Should we keep Rico Dowdle?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm all for keeping him cheep. We fix the run game / o-line and put some fear in the other team...he's a decent sub. We have to do that anyway even we get a beast. .

Motorola

Reaction score
The point being you could easily if you wanted one, but on topic RB is the easiest position on the entire roster to fix asap, but that works hand in hand, symbiotic.
The OL needs to re learn how to open up a running lane and I cant believe that I just typed that but its true.
How did this OL forget all of a sudden how to create just a sliver of a running lane?
I ask this question because our RBs seem to always be running into a marsh pit.
CZAers offered up different opinions for the running game problem.
Some put it on the players at the RB position; others point to the Oline talent (or lack thereof outside of the Smiths and Martin).
Then there are members that put the onus on the blocking schemes and Oline coach.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
As of now sure. With limited carries he was an ok backup. Wasn't dynamic but didn't get much help from the OL.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
CZAers offered up different opinions for the running game problem.
Some put it on the players at the RB position; others point to the Oline talent (or lack thereof outside of the Smiths and Martin).
Then there are members that put the onus on the blocking schemes and Oline coach.
I would say that all three area could be improved rather quickly.

StuckMojo

Reaction score
The point being you could easily if you wanted one, but on topic RB is the easiest position on the entire roster to fix asap, but that works hand in hand, symbiotic.
The OL needs to re learn how to open up a running lane and I cant believe that I just typed that but its true.
How did this OL forget all of a sudden how to create just a sliver of a running lane?
I ask this question because our RBs seem to always be running into a marsh pit.
MM scheme/OL coach

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Sure. We need more scrubs.

It worked so well in 2023.

Draft RB1 in the 1st.

Pick up RB2 in FA.

Our current RB2 goes to RB3.

Mini me gets cut.
Dowdle, Deuce, Leupke, Conner, Davis, draft one in later rounds....not wasting a first round pick on a running back in todays NFL....The problem with the running game last year was the offensive line particluarly Steele and Biadasz.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
That leaves us with 2 high draft picks to fill LB(2) center, tackle, DT, WR, CB positions.

Is RB more important than LB?
For this team, absolutely it is. We have a QB that struggles against good defenses when the offense is off rhythm. Quickest way to fix that is to fix the running game. WR and CB are fine as is. Chances are slim that we find a DT that will walk in and fix the spot day 1. We currently have Clark, Overshown, and Parsons at LB. Not ideal, but we have absolutely nothing at RB.

blueblood70

Reaction score
What’s everyone’s thoughts on the running back situation? Should we pick up a vet and pay him plus another in the later rounds or should we take a back in the third round and fourth round and have all new blood?
I want a total reboot of our running back room, meaning purge them all, no need to bring anyone back except for Deuce and Hunter at FB on a rookie deals And wasn't used properly last year,

however, IMHO you need to pick him before the 4th round, we need to stud, I don't care if they take him in the second that how big a need we have for starter... I think we should pick him in the second or third round for sure as given the fact that we pick in the bottom of every round I think picking them after the second or third round would be a mistake.

We need a day one starter at running back and I know you can find them later but why pass up the opportunity to get a guy for four years on a rookie contract and be your starter day one you get that guy as soon as he's available second or third round in my opinion...

Then yes you get a veteran but not one of the big names, I don't want Barkley or Jacobs or Henry unless they're coming on a really cheap deal that's incentive laden health, games played, and production bonuses and whatnot I'd rather go get a guy similar you know to a mid-level backup type and use DV as the actual scat back ie change of pace guy the way pollard was used his 1st two years..

Big_D

Reaction score
Henry.. and the draft. That should be the plan. Instant upgrade which will take pressure off the QB.

1942willys

Reaction score
For this team, absolutely it is. We have a QB that struggles against good defenses when the offense is off rhythm. Quickest way to fix that is to fix the running game. WR and CB are fine as is. Chances are slim that we find a DT that will walk in and fix the spot day 1. We currently have Clark, Overshown, and Parsons at LB. Not ideal, but we have absolutely nothing at RB.
Run D is the problem and frankly what do we have at LB that can play the Run?
Certainly not parson and Clark stank and what has Overshawn DONE?
Frankly LB is a LOT more important than RB

1942willys

Reaction score
I happen to think our Scheme, Playcalling, and OL coach were all equal parts of the problem along with RB.
Steele being basically unfit most of the season did not help; he should have spent the first half of the season on IR.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I think it's hilarious that this was about running backs and somehow the quarterback got mentioned, which there aren't many quarterbacks that work really well against good playoff defenses when they're one-dimensional. so that would be all quarterbacks... Then you start talking about all the other positions can we not have a thread where we just talk about what was asked and not have it run off into something else....:facepalm:

But since you mentioned it in the regular season Prescott literally got second team all pro, second in MVP voting without a strong run game ,and a lack of a physical offensive line..

he literally carried this team to many wins in the regular season,

so back to the playoff yeah those teams have really good defenses and they pretty much game planned our coaches right off the field why because one-dimensional kind of easy to defend when they can play zone and get to the passer and stop the rusher on the way with four guys yeah that's a problem that's both with the offensive line and the run game which go hand in hand....

Aven8

Reaction score
We need a bell cow. A true #1 RB. When this team has always been its most successful they had a #1 stud. Last year was a disaster.

Give me Braelon Allen or Trey Benson. Those should be the targets. Dudes that can carry the load for the next 4 seasons.

1942willys

Reaction score
I think it's hilarious that this was about running backs and somehow the quarterback got mentioned, which there aren't many quarterbacks that work really well against good playoff defenses when they're one-dimensional. so that would be all quarterbacks... Then you start talking about all the other positions can we not have a thread where we just talk about what was asked and not have it run off into something else....:facepalm:

But since you mentioned it in the regular season Prescott literally got second team all pro, second in MVP voting without a strong run game ,and a lack of a physical offensive line..

he literally carried this team to many wins in the regular season,

so back to the playoff yeah those teams have really good defenses and they pretty much game planned our coaches right off the field why because one-dimensional kind of easy to defend when they can play zone and get to the passer and stop the rusher on the way with four guys yeah that's a problem that's both with the offensive line and the run game which go hand in hand....
no matter what defend our Playoff choking Dak.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Run D is the problem and frankly what do we have at LB that can play the Run?
Certainly not parson and Clark stank and what has Overshawn DONE?
Frankly LB is a LOT more important than RB
No, it isn't. We've seen what Dak can do with a running game vs without. Yes, stopping the run is important. It's irrelevant if the offense can't score points. We lost to the 7th seed in the playoffs at home because our offense failed miserably early to establish an offensive rhythm, leading to a gassed defense that couldn't stop anything. If you want to win a championship with Dak, you need a running back. Who on the current roster fills that spot?

blueblood70

Reaction score
We need a bell cow. A true #1 RB. When this team has always been its most successful they had a #1 stud. Last year was a disaster.

Give me Braelon Allen or Trey Benson. Those should be the targets. Dudes that can carry the load for the next 4 seasons.
Well I don't know who they are but I agree we need to make it a actual target to get the best running back we possibly can that's big strong and powerful good and short garbage purge our entire room outside of hunter and I hope they use him more at fullback and Vaughn who I hope they really then use as a true 3rd down back or change of pace guy like he should be I think he still could be good I think he can give you what Pollard did his first two years... The rest of the room I say get rid of them and bring in another mid level veteran guy to spell the other guys,

and I sure hope the coaches find the better scheme or blocking scheme for the offensive line because I think it's odd that whenever Hoffman and bass were in there the run game seemed to be better so I don't know if it's age or what or they're just better in the run game but we need to find a way to create that with our starters and I believe they may end up getting a new center and maybe that'll help get someone with a lower center of gravity and a big butt lol..

blueblood70

Reaction score
No, it isn't. We've seen what Dak can do with a running game vs without. Yes, stopping the run is important. It's irrelevant if the offense can't score points. We lost to the 7th seed in the playoffs at home because our offense failed miserably early to establish an offensive rhythm, leading to a gassed defense that couldn't stop anything. If you want to win a championship with Dak, you need a running back. Who on the current roster fills that spot?
Actually, you're wrong the defense wasn't gassed on drive 1,2,3 all of them.. hmm odd EXCUSE OK Tank im tired blah blah blah.. They literally were disaster and every big game we had the defense was bad we've got lucky to get out of that Seattle game at home because Prescott was able to carry us in that game and he did in a lot of games it went unnoticed... This defense get was given a lead in the Miami game with four minutes left couldn't make it stop literally every loss was the same way you look at the defense as the number one reason we lost those games...

they gave up touchdowns on every drive or at least 75% of them it's such PTSD for me the defense was the sole cause for that loss, yes ,the offense wasn't good but yeah not stopping the run giving up long time of possession eating drives takes away from possessions the offense can have it works both ways it was a team loss..

Anybody still blaming the offense for that when we watched the first series the defense gave up an easy seven points they looking like practice out there the Green Bay Packers offense looked like they were playing against our backups it looked like preseason, that's a fact!!

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
He had 361 yards rushing, 2 Td's, 4.1 yards per carry, and 144 receiving yards. We didn't know much about him until this season, honestly he was solid, and we wanted to see more of him at times. We can all agree that we need a few running backs this season, would you want to keep him on the team still, or it's time to get some rookies and maybe a veteran running back like we did with Ronald Jones last season?? Please give your thoughts
Depends on how much.

He's valuable as a borderline roster/PS player who knows the offense and is cheap, and while that's a pretty minimal value, we haven't done squat to ensure we have a better option. Hell, we haven't even ensured that we have him.

Our current under contract RBs are Malik Davis, Deuce, and Snoop Connor (who?). Also known as *nothing*.

Wouldn't a RFA tender be guaranteed? I'd be against that.

At this point I don't want to see more established subJAGs taking up training camp field space. At least get new ones that aren't confirmed non-Jags. Keep Malik. He's already under contract. One experienced established subJAG is more than enough.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
He had 361 yards rushing, 2 Td's, 4.1 yards per carry, and 144 receiving yards. We didn't know much about him until this season, honestly he was solid, and we wanted to see more of him at times. We can all agree that we need a few running backs this season, would you want to keep him on the team still, or it's time to get some rookies and maybe a veteran running back like we did with Ronald Jones last season?? Please give your thoughts
You can find 50 dowdles in late rounds or UDFA. JAG