Should we keep Rico Dowdle?

Mr_437

Reaction score
Too many guys to mention, but Kudos to all the guys who started off addressing the run scheme and OL. Guys there were so many times defenders were tackling our RBs behind the LOS. Defenders in the backfield is a scheme issue or OL personnel issue, yet Cowboys had 3 All-Pro OL.

RB is fairly easy and cheap to fill, so I'd look to a UFA and a mid round draft pick to go with the guys already in house like: Rico, Hunter, Malik, Deuce and Snoop.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Simple answer Coog...
No but we will, and Duece will not be leaving this roster either.
Coog, we love the contracts.
Keep Deuce and see if we can develop him as a WR/RB. Always looks like a natural pass catcher to me, and his quickness should translated into early separation.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
I think it's hilarious that this was about running backs and somehow the quarterback got mentioned, which there aren't many quarterbacks that work really well against good playoff defenses when they're one-dimensional. so that would be all quarterbacks... Then you start talking about all the other positions can we not have a thread where we just talk about what was asked and not have it run off into something else....:facepalm:

But since you mentioned it in the regular season Prescott literally got second team all pro, second in MVP voting without a strong run game ,and a lack of a physical offensive line..

he literally carried this team to many wins in the regular season,

so back to the playoff yeah those teams have really good defenses and they pretty much game planned our coaches right off the field why because one-dimensional kind of easy to defend when they can play zone and get to the passer and stop the rusher on the way with four guys yeah that's a problem that's both with the offensive line and the run game which go hand in hand....
I don't care what Dak did in the regular season, and I mentioned other positions that somebody else pointed out, not on my own. The offense folded against SF and GB. The Arizona game was a direct result of a one dimensional offense. That game cost us the #1 seed and a first round bye. Tell me this team falls apart in those games with a balanced offense. You can laugh all you want, but it's been proven that the offense is near unstoppable with a strong run game. It's also been proven that they fall apart without one.

The only elite team we beat this year was Detroit. Their defense was not good this year. Philly was falling apart when we beat them. We win the Miami game with a balanced offense, even with the crappy linebackers in place. I'm not saying neglect those positions. I'm saying there's a direct correlation between a strong running game and success in the passing game. Do you feel comfortable going into the season with Rico Dowdle, Malik Davis, and Deuce Vaughn as your backs? That's exactly why RB is priority #1

Aven8

Reaction score
Well I don't know who they are but I agree we need to make it a actual target to get the best running back we possibly can that's big strong and powerful good and short garbage purge our entire room outside of hunter and I hope they use him more at fullback and Vaughn who I hope they really then use as a true 3rd down back or change of pace guy like he should be I think he still could be good I think he can give you what Pollard did his first two years... The rest of the room I say get rid of them and bring in another mid level veteran guy to spell the other guys,

and I sure hope the coaches find the better scheme or blocking scheme for the offensive line because I think it's odd that whenever Hoffman and bass were in there the run game seemed to be better so I don't know if it's age or what or they're just better in the run game but we need to find a way to create that with our starters and I believe they may end up getting a new center and maybe that'll help get someone with a lower center of gravity and a big butt lol..
Braelon Allen is from Wisconsin. A 20 year old Derric Henry light, 6’2” 245 LBS. Trey Benson is from Florida St and I would compare him to Aaron Jones. Look them up and dream.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
First rodeo?

The Cowboys could easily end up with a 4th round pick through a trade. We have no idea how it will shake out. They don't even know yet.
You're another one of those fans that thinks trades are the answer for everything. What you don't get is something has to be given up in trades and VERY FEW trades does the team giving up things get the better of the trade.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I don't care what Dak did in the regular season, and I mentioned other positions that somebody else pointed out, not on my own. The offense folded against SF and GB. The Arizona game was a direct result of a one dimensional offense. That game cost us the #1 seed and a first round bye. Tell me this team falls apart in those games with a balanced offense. You can laugh all you want, but it's been proven that the offense is near unstoppable with a strong run game. It's also been proven that they fall apart without one.

The only elite team we beat this year was Detroit. Their defense was not good this year. Philly was falling apart when we beat them. We win the Miami game with a balanced offense, even with the crappy linebackers in place. I'm not saying neglect those positions. I'm saying there's a direct correlation between a strong running game and success in the passing game. Do you feel comfortable going into the season with Rico Dowdle, Malik Davis, and Deuce Vaughn as your backs? That's exactly why RB is priority #1
hmmm,

says every NFL team since the inception of time run well stop the run balance stopping or as Mike McCarthy likes to say complementary football yes has nothing new with Prescott is my point stop acting like this is a Dallas cowboy issue when most teams struggle when they're one-dimensional you know I've seen some with a really strong run game but don't can't pass they also have problems if you can take away one part of a team's offense easily that's more than the run game or the quarterback that would be the offensive line in the scheme and the game plans so let's back off that our quarterback seems to be isolated when this is football 101 bro! You aren't saying anything that no one else has forgotten you're just making sure you point it out it's Prescott you wanted to make sure you made sure you called out our quarterback once again and that's why I'm saying it was a fail....

We were not gonna win that game no matter how good our offense played our defense sucked including all the games you just mentioned they were so bad it would have looked like Seattle so if you think your expectations for the quarterback without a good run game or I guess a good defense is supposed to carry the team like he did in Seattle in the big game like he's supposed to score 35 no matter what well hey if it takes 40 go do it and do it by yourself??!!!

That's one of the worst narratives in here it's the most ridiculous spoken words I hear in social media that you think the quarterback needs to do whatever it takes no matter the situation when that doesn't happen for many teams at all they still need defense special teams coaching run games to win the bigger games you can't have expectations even though it happens sometimes like Prescott was able to carry the team in Seattle when the defense was also horrible you can't win games on a consistent basis like that that's every quarterback that's every team..

You singling out our quarterback is my problem when that would be almost every quarterback in the league all the way down to high school you can't play 1 dimensional ball you can't be easy to scheme against and that was our problem it starts with the offensive line the scheme and the play calling... But yes I still would like a better running back pollard just was never a starter it never should have been...

You know there was a group of us that was trying to tell you all to stop acting like Tony was being robbed of yards and touchdowns because that's what y'all said you said those 12 touchdowns would have been easy and then it was unfair that Tony was pulled off the field and let zeke's score no there was no leading zeke was a better short yardage guy he scored a lot more touchdowns he was a better #1 even on one leg then Tony was on too that's a fact.... I think people are seeing it now because even though they it was the right thing to do to let zeke go we probably should have brought him back on a cheaper contract because Tony couldn't get it done in short yardage and goal line and he didn't score any touchdowns and yet our guy from last year and the year before scored quite a bit many even when he was injured wore out and washed as this place says...

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
What’s everyone’s thoughts on the running back situation? Should we pick up a vet and pay him plus another in the later rounds or should we take a back in the third round and fourth round and have all new blood?
It sucks and we should be bringing in *lots* of bodies.
Should have gotten *at least* one mid round, full size RB last year.

Big_D

Reaction score
You're another one of those fans that thinks trades are the answer for everything. What you don't get is something has to be given up in trades and VERY FEW trades does the team giving up things get the better of the trade.

They could trade back in the 2nd or 3rd to recoup a 4th. That's the likely route if they did want an extra mid round pick.

blueblood70

Reaction score

I didn't just mean that in the regular season I'm saying our defense looked like this and every big game throughout the season it's not a shock that they ship their pants against Green Bay and I don't care if we've got to buy in this homefield in played someone in the second round it would have been the same thing I don't see how you think that would have been any different than the second seed which was also at home... We lost that game as soon as our defense gave up seven points to start the game and then couldn't stop them the rest of the game and you're making excuses that they were tired give me a break dude.... We played zone we played weak sauce on defense from the first snap they couldn't stop Green Bay Green Bay knew what they were gonna do just like Buffalo Arizona and the rest of them you keep making excuses the defense was absolutely the weak part of our teams and every single loss last year and a couple wins... That Seattle game we won that game because our quarterback overcame it but the reason I brought it up it doesn't matter it's a regular season that's what our defense did in that game they did the same thing in the Green Bay game they were terrible absolutely could have set the tone like the Ravens defense did only gave up three points in game one only gave up seventeen points in the first half but a shutout in the second-half don't give up 17 points to that Kansas City team and gave that offense plenty of chances to catch up just like the 49ers did against the lions their defense made stops in the second-half ohh why weren't they tired

ohh why weren't they tired?? That's right keep the excuse train coming the defense was tired well why wasn't the 49ers defense tired or the Ravens when over and over they had to keep getting back on the field and keep making stops and their offense actually was the reason they lost that game not ours our defense gave up like 7 touchdowns if you wanna take two of them away because of offense we still lose the game...FACTS I think it's ironic when I can pull the same playoffs the other teams in the same situation and their defense bowed up and didn't use the excuse they were tired like you're making excuses for Dan Quinn's weakness game plan and his tiny little linebackers...

Cowboys93

Reaction score
We need a bell cow. A true #1 RB. When this team has always been its most successful they had a #1 stud. Last year was a disaster.

Give me Braelon Allen or Trey Benson. Those should be the targets. Dudes that can carry the load for the next 4 seasons.
Absolutely. Give me a combination of a 2nd/3rd round guy who has real talent along some solid FA and address the line

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Run D is the problem and frankly what do we have at LB that can play the Run?
Certainly not parson and Clark stank and what has Overshawn DONE?
Frankly LB is a LOT more important than RB
Well O was on IR

blueblood70

Reaction score

ohh and let me finish this up because this is the last reply you know I watched Troy Aikman in a Super Bowl play like trash in the first half and then guess what Emmitt Smith and the defense came back in the second-half and made sure they picked up ohh the Hall of Fame great Troy who never had to carry a team ever because of the offensive line of run game and the defense same with Roger you act like they didn't have Tony Dorsett Tom Landry and an offensive line people drool over...

It's odd that you wouldn't say that Troy needed emmitt more than Emmett needed Troy but that would be a fact that run game and that offensive line in the 90s and the 70s were predicated to be the identity of the team they literally leaned on defense in the run game they didn't ask Roger and Troy to carry a game they didn't say when they were playing bad at throwing interceptions which they threw a lot of them in the postseason and Danny white as well but I don't want to bring him up because Prescott's way better than Danny with the guy with an upside down touchdown interception ratio in the playoffs gets excuses for era they all had a great run game and a great defense they didn't say they were tired... Whenever their quarterback made a mistake they picked him up their defense got better..

look at all those mistakes in the playoffs by our wonderful perfect ex qbs..defense didnt get tired on them lol
roger

td 153-109 ints Playoffs 24td 19INTs(umm none of those critical LMAO) UMM OK

Troy-

165-141 playoffs 23tds-17 INts(right none critical huh?) no way jimmy would have put up with that

Dwhite

155-132 playoffs 15-17 WOW no way TL puts up with mistakes at critical time LOL

Romo

248-117 playoffs 8 tds 2 INts show me the critical INts hmm his td-int ratio is much better

Dak

166-65 playoffs 11-5ints

calicowboy54

Reaction score
They will probably just sign Pollard. Bring the band back together.
i don’t mind resigning pollard to a 5-6mil contract and drafting someone to start and or spell him. you need someone who knows the offense and was technically still recovering from broken leg up until november

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thank you for that completely incorrect and irrelevant point.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I wish we’d go after any free agent rb but pollard but I have a feeling they’ll bring him back for cheap which sucks.