Should we keep Rico Dowdle?

Big_D

Reaction score
i don’t mind resigning pollard to a 5-6mil contract and drafting someone to start and or spell him. you need someone who knows the offense and was technically still recovering from broken leg up until november

Why didn't Dowdle get more carries? You have faith in these coaches to split carries or use multiple guys correctly? They didn't do it when Zeke was here and didn't do it last year when that should have been the plan. Considering there was a 99% chance Pollard was in his final season, Dowdle should've seen more touches. It's time to move in a different direction at RB. Pollard needs to go.

1942willys

Reaction score
No, it isn't. We've seen what Dak can do with a running game vs without. Yes, stopping the run is important. It's irrelevant if the offense can't score points. We lost to the 7th seed in the playoffs at home because our offense failed miserably early to establish an offensive rhythm, leading to a gassed defense that couldn't stop anything. If you want to win a championship with Dak, you need a running back. Who on the current roster fills that spot?
Got news for you Dude. Show me a SB champion with a bad run D.

Big_D

Reaction score
Got news for you Dude. Show me a SB champion with a bad run D.

They have to fix both, I don't think it's a one or the other situation. Running the ball and stopping the run were major problems that need to be addressed.

1942willys

Reaction score
They have to fix both, I don't think it's a one or the other situation. Running the ball and stopping the run were major problems that need to be addressed.
absolutely agree but to claim RB is the first priority is flat out WRONG

Big_D

Reaction score
absolutely agree but to claim RB is the first priority is flat out WRONG

Yeah.. There's a lot of holes and minimal picks. So we'll see how they attack that. I agree, I don't see how you go RB early, but I also don't see how you fix it without that. They're up a river without a 4th.

blueblood70

Reaction score
i don’t mind resigning pollard to a 5-6mil contract and drafting someone to start and or spell him. you need someone who knows the offense and was technically still recovering from broken leg up until november
look as much as I appreciate you liking Tony I think you're overrating the guy that's too much money even in my opinion no way he should have earned that kind of money they were paying guys like DeAndre swift only $2 million last year had better stats or at least they're on the same area of production you know similar players.. There were a lot of mid level veterans last year making under $4 million that were as productive as Tony was at 10 million... My opinion we just need to go young in the draft and then yes get a guy like Pollard but for under $2,000,000 to back him up and then use deuce Vaughn has your change of pace back he could take Tony's place and a lot of the other things they like to do in motion behind the line of scrimmage etcetera etcetera..

Mr_437

Reaction score
Keep Deuce and see if we can develop him as a WR/RB. Always looks like a natural pass catcher to me, and his quickness should translated into early separation.
I've thought the same thing about Deuce. His value is a RB/Slot WR/Return Man. McCarthy weaponized Turpin into a WR/RB/Return Man, and feel that's the only way to justify having Duece on the roster.

1942willys

Reaction score
Yeah.. There's a lot of holes and minimal picks. So we'll see how they attack that. I agree, I don't see how you go RB early, but I also don't see how you fix it without that. They're up a river without a 4th.
its been shown that you can get good backs later in the draft; I know everyone harps on us not having a fourth but we could use some of our late picks to trade up.

Big_D

Reaction score
its been shown that you can get good backs later in the draft; I know everyone harps on us not having a fourth but we could use some of our late picks to trade up.

If they expect immediate production and contribution they'll have to do better than a late round pick. Show me one quality starter in the NFL Year 1 that's a 5th or later not named Pacheco, who happens to have the best QB in football. Maybe a year or 2 down the road, but this season seems like a stretch. That's not fixing anything. It would be no better than the situation they were just in.

Last edited:

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
YES to Rico and NO to everything else!!!! :muttley:

Big_D

Reaction score
He should be fighting for a spot if they actually address the position for real this year.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
He had 361 yards rushing, 2 Td's, 4.1 yards per carry, and 144 receiving yards. We didn't know much about him until this season, honestly he was solid, and we wanted to see more of him at times. We can all agree that we need a few running backs this season, would you want to keep him on the team still, or it's time to get some rookies and maybe a veteran running back like we did with Ronald Jones last season?? Please give your thoughts
Could go either way.

He’s RFA. Looking at 1-2 mill per.

He’s a straight line runner. Probably just doing what the coaches want.

I think he’d make a great 3rd at least.

75boyz

Reaction score
The point being you could easily if you wanted one, but on topic RB is the easiest position on the entire roster to fix asap, but that works hand in hand, symbiotic.
The OL needs to re learn how to open up a running lane and I cant believe that I just typed that but its true.
How did this OL forget all of a sudden how to create just a sliver of a running lane?
I ask this question because our RBs seem to always be running into a marsh pit.
Absolute truth.
Never seen such a Cowboy disparity comparing the pass protection to run blocking.
They are fine at pass pro and absolutely suck at run blocking.
Steele's performance fell off a cliff, regardless of injury.

The offensive coaching trio of MM, Schott and Solari have no clue on running an effective ground game.

And we're running 'em back.
How'd that run the damn ball and rest the defense thing go again?

Frigging pathetic coaching.
Pathetic.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
We need a bell cow. A true #1 RB. When this team has always been its most successful they had a #1 stud. Last year was a disaster.

Give me Braelon Allen or Trey Benson. Those should be the targets. Dudes that can carry the load for the next 4 seasons.
Truth!

Big_D

Reaction score
This is the one 30 year old I'm willing to take a chance on. He's on another planet. Don't let him end up in Baltimore. This is a great opportunity to finally take pressure off the QB. AND they can still draft a RB.

Derrick Henry has an unbelievable 20 plays with 50 yards or more

14 plays of 60 yards or more

7 plays of 70 yards or more

10 TDs scored 60 yards or more

99 yard TD run --Jax 2018
94 yard TD run --Hou 2020
76 yard TD run --Buff 2021
75 yard TD run --Hou 2017
75 yard TD catch --Cle 2019
74 yard TD run --Jax 2019
72 yard TD run --Indy 2017
69 yard run --Jax 2024
69 yard catch --Cin 2922
68 yard TD run --KC 2019
66 yard run ---BAL 2020 Playoffs
66 yard TD catch ---Jax 2017
63 yard run --BAL 2023
60 yard TD run --Sea 2021
56 yard run ---KC 2022
54 yard TD run ---Jax 2018
53 yard TD run ---Hou 2019
53 yard catch ----Hou 2020
52 yard TD run ---Hou 2021
50 yard run ---Jax 2022

Last edited:

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
hmmm,

says every NFL team since the inception of time run well stop the run balance stopping or as Mike McCarthy likes to say complementary football yes has nothing new with Prescott is my point stop acting like this is a Dallas cowboy issue when most teams struggle when they're one-dimensional you know I've seen some with a really strong run game but don't can't pass they also have problems if you can take away one part of a team's offense easily that's more than the run game or the quarterback that would be the offensive line in the scheme and the game plans so let's back off that our quarterback seems to be isolated when this is football 101 bro! You aren't saying anything that no one else has forgotten you're just making sure you point it out it's Prescott you wanted to make sure you made sure you called out our quarterback once again and that's why I'm saying it was a fail....

We were not gonna win that game no matter how good our offense played our defense sucked including all the games you just mentioned they were so bad it would have looked like Seattle so if you think your expectations for the quarterback without a good run game or I guess a good defense is supposed to carry the team like he did in Seattle in the big game like he's supposed to score 35 no matter what well hey if it takes 40 go do it and do it by yourself??!!!

That's one of the worst narratives in here it's the most ridiculous spoken words I hear in social media that you think the quarterback needs to do whatever it takes no matter the situation when that doesn't happen for many teams at all they still need defense special teams coaching run games to win the bigger games you can't have expectations even though it happens sometimes like Prescott was able to carry the team in Seattle when the defense was also horrible you can't win games on a consistent basis like that that's every quarterback that's every team..

You singling out our quarterback is my problem when that would be almost every quarterback in the league all the way down to high school you can't play 1 dimensional ball you can't be easy to scheme against and that was our problem it starts with the offensive line the scheme and the play calling... But yes I still would like a better running back pollard just was never a starter it never should have been...

You know there was a group of us that was trying to tell you all to stop acting like Tony was being robbed of yards and touchdowns because that's what y'all said you said those 12 touchdowns would have been easy and then it was unfair that Tony was pulled off the field and let zeke's score no there was no leading zeke was a better short yardage guy he scored a lot more touchdowns he was a better #1 even on one leg then Tony was on too that's a fact.... I think people are seeing it now because even though they it was the right thing to do to let zeke go we probably should have brought him back on a cheaper contract because Tony couldn't get it done in short yardage and goal line and he didn't score any touchdowns and yet our guy from last year and the year before scored quite a bit many even when he was injured wore out and washed as this place says...
Whoa easy there my guy. I'm not attacking Dak. I'm making it clear that we need a running back. I've supported Dak as much as anyone throughout his tenure, just as I've criticized him for his shortcomings. Frustration can get the best of me. What's clear is he isn't Mahommes, Brady, or Rodgers. He needs a viable run game to really shine. That's fine. Look at what Goff did with Montgomery and Gibbs. With our weapons, we could see him do something truly special. Remaining status quo will lead to failure. It's not a maybe. It's not that he could possibly get by without it. It's a major problem that needs to be corrected, or this team is dead in the water.....

I know it's elementary football to establish a ground game, and I'm well aware that nothing I've said is ground breaking. There are many around here that brush the position off as easy to replace, yet, last year we entered the season with a bad plan and no lead horse to take the pressure off of the passing game. What was the end result? Missed opportunities. We drafted a tight end in the second that did absolutely nothing. We drafted a DT in the first that looks like a bust. There were several questionable choices that could've been the guy to spell Pollard, and potentially take over this year. We could've brought in a number of free agent backs to share the load, yet the only moves that were made were a flyer on Vaughn, and a bargain deal with Jones. Neither of whom contributed at all.

This is not an indictment on Dak Prescott. It's basic football, and it was ignored, which led to critical failures on the field that didn't have to happen. I don't want this to happen again. I guess my thinking is that if enough noise is made, perhaps something will be done about it this offseason...you know, so we can have a real shot at competing for a Super Bowl. That's what this is about, no? Address RB1 and RB2, find a center, bring Tyron back, and find a decent swing tackle and the offense is in championship mode.