News: SI: Hasselbeck thinks the offense could take a step backward under MM

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The team lost : Zeke, McGovern, Brown, Schultz. McGovern only looks like a loss because they did not sign a LG

The team added : Schoonmaker, Cooks, Jones. Gallup is back healthy and Pollard is the #1 guy.

There is no reason to think this team regresses or doesn’t put up similar numbers
It’s the NFL. In 2019 I thought we were contenders and we went 8-8. Last year when Dak went down I thought our season was over and we went 5-1. This NFL is a strange place.

LonnieElam

Reaction score
Weren't Green Bay fans complaining that his offense is too predictable? I've always been under the impression that MM is super pass-happy, which I don't think will bode well with Dak.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Not saying they didn’t score points. But there many of stretches where they did not look good at all. Tampa week 1?Tennessee? Washington? Indianapolis for 3 quarters. Texans game.

I am not arguing production. But you honestly say when you watch this offense, you believe they are like Kansas City? Score when they need and want?

Under Moore they were good. But always inconsistent.

Moore has in way too many 3rd and longs. Very predictable run Zeke up the middle, roll out pass to Schultz for 3, and then forced for a 3rd and 7.
There’s going to be stretches where you don’t look good and if fans are going to want McCarthy and Schottenheimer fired every time it happens it won’t take long to start seeing the threads. We’re not like KC and never inferred we are, but we’ve had some very good offenses. Last season was our lowest offensive ranking in years, and we were number 11. The coordinator change was to help Dak. We’ll see how it goes.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
It’s the NFL. In 2019 I thought we were contenders and we went 8-8. Last year when Dak went down I thought our season was over and we went 5-1. This NFL is a strange place.
Cowboys lack of post season success does bring some normalcy.

diamonddelts

Reaction score
They did not. The 49ers had the best defense in the NFL - they were 1st in both yards allowed and points scored against. If you want to then go to more advanced stats like DVOA, again, San Fran was 1st there too.
Much of that was feasting against cupcake offenses.

quickccc

Reaction score
I heard that McCarthy really doesn’t care about stats and offensive rankings.

I feel like we’re going to lean towards ball control.
but it won't be " dink and dunk " ball control like some may be thinking with the west coast new direction.

- and we really do not have the RB types to be grind and pound bell cow types to be true ball control - we don't have beast mode Lynch or ZKE style backs here.

- but i do think this run game is gonna be styled towards Splash runs and distributed among 2 to 3 backs, ..including involving RBs in pass game. - - something Hasselbeck does not realize did not happen under Kellen Moore.

- More so , you don't acquire an over top of defense speed WR in Brandin Cooks to be conservative " ball control " .

- I think we are gonna try to run ball more efficiently and schematic-designed ..vs just flat running the ball more with more attempts.

JBS

Reaction score
Yeah but he doesn’t have Brett Favre or Aaron Rodgers.
Doesn’t matter. MM took over this offense to get Dak and the WRs on the same page. Not to run the ball more. Everything coming out on the new offense is all about details and making sure everybody knows what they’re supposed to be doing and why they’re doing. There won’t be an emphasis on running the ball. The emphasis will be on cleaning up the mess in the pass game.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The Cowboys had some real good, high scoring offenses under Kellen Moore. The only reason he’s not here is because of Dak’s inconsistent play and INT‘s last season. It’s going to be hard to improve over what we’ve had. Everyone loved Kellen Moore when he first arrived but fans are fickle. It’s not going to take fans long to hate on McCarthy and Schottenheimer if the offense starts to sputter and we don’t see the scoring we’ve seen.
I loved the tweaks he made to Garrett's scheme because Garrett's scheme lacked any creativity and relied too much on players winning matchups without any real scheme help. Moore added movement to create favorable matchups. It wasn't a genius move, as any competent OC could have done it, but it seemed like genius compared to what Garrett was doing.

However, I do believe having been raised in the NFL under Linehan and Garrett that Moore has a bit too much of the Garrett philosophy in his system and it limits the effectiveness of this offense against tougher defenses like San Fran's. I'm hoping that McCarthy's system will be a bit more malleable and get away from some of the predictability of the Garrett philosophy.

It could crash and burn, but I'm just glad to put anything tainted by Garrett's philosophy on offense behind us. I believe he held back what could have been elite offenses. Moore may prove me wrong in LA and McCarthy may do worse as a play-caller here, but I'm eager to see what happens as we finally begin to disassociate with the remnants of Garrettism.

quickccc

Reaction score
it wasn't all bad with Kellen Moore.as several think - i liked the way Kellen
- pushed the ball in time rhythm based offense,
- the quick to no huddle,
- the way it was designed to beat the blitz
- the pre-snap motion and various alignments
- pass routes design that included bunch formation/rub routes
- involved TEs in pass game

Problems arise when KM could Not:
- make in game adjustments ala heavy shell zone coverages
- not getting enuff splash plays from Zeke
- the run game was so bland and predictable
- not enuff play action with QB under center based off run game
- Kellen had issues with managing situations of when to run ball, ex> up 28-14 vs GB, and we cease rushing and kept passing
- my main peeve was not getting RBs involved in pass game- ala no RB screens. .

Makes me think as good and as high as those top 3 offensive rankings were under Kellen, his flaws still limited us, and held us back from being even better than
we could have been.
And why did it seem to magnify most in the playoffs - ala Niners ?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
They did not. The 49ers had the best defense in the NFL - they were 1st in both yards allowed and points scored against. If you want to then go to more advanced stats like DVOA, again, San Fran was 1st there too.
Ok so where did the Eagles defense rank? The poster said the Cowboys got fat off dwellers and my point was Eagles were not a dweller. Whether they ranked second or 5th they were a good defense that lead the league in sacks.

quickccc

Reaction score
I loved the tweaks he made to Garrett's scheme because Garrett's scheme lacked any creativity and relied too much on players winning matchups without any real scheme help. Moore added movement to create favorable matchups. It wasn't a genius move, as any competent OC could have done it, but it seemed like genius compared to what Garrett was doing.

However, I do believe having been raised in the NFL under Linehan and Garrett that Moore has a bit too much of the Garrett philosophy in his system and it limits the effectiveness of this offense against tougher defenses like San Fran's. I'm hoping that McCarthy's system will be a bit more malleable and get away from some of the predictability of the Garrett philosophy.

It could crash and burn, but I'm just glad to put anything tainted by Garrett's philosophy on offense behind us. I believe he held back what could have been elite offenses. Moore may prove me wrong in LA and McCarthy may do worse as a play-caller here, but I'm eager to see what happens as we finally begin to disassociate with the remnants of Garrettism.
Absolutely great points, Gimmestix !

Kellen Moore's version of the rhythm time based offense was a Giant upgraded version vs Jason Garrett's rhythm based version. Even vs Scott Linehan's.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news...ike-mccarthy-tim-hasselbeck-dak-prescott-otas

Cowboys Offense to 'Take a Step Backward!' Under Mike McCarthy Says Ex NFL QB​

Cowboys head coach Mike McCarthy is now the offensive play-caller, but the move has been met with criticism and doubts as to whether Dallas will be better offensively because of it.
The Dallas Cowboys have undergone several changes this offseason, the most significant being head coach Mike McCarthy taking over the offensive play calling from Kellen Moore.

Under Moore, Dallas was one of the best offenses in football. Now with the Los Angeles Chargers acquiring his services and McCarthy taking over, some have their doubts about the Cowboys moving on from a coordinator who put up points as Moore's offense did.

Former NFL quarterback Tim Hasselbeck is one detractor of McCarthy calling the plays next season, and Hasselbeck doesn't see it ending well in Frisco.

"I think it's going to take a step backward," Hasselbeck said on NFL Live. "I don't understand this talk about how this offense was somehow a disaster under Kellen Moore. You realize, four years he was the offensive coordinator there, there's one team that scored more points in the NFL - it was the Kansas City Chiefs.
We all know the Cowboy offensive rankings are very deceptive. The last 2 seasons down the stretch the offense was a shell of it's former self compared to the 1st half of the season. Cowboys really struggled running the football and teams started using those shell coverages to take away our passing attack. Key is finding that balance and maintaining it throughout the entire year and into the postseason.

Rayman70

Reaction score
with KM the issue was situational calls. Seemed to be a disconnect with he and Dak there. The KM scheme was fine but lacked a plan.