News: SI: Hasselbeck thinks the offense could take a step backward under MM

mrmojo

Reaction score
Is this the Hasselbeck that was the good QB or his brother? Either way the offense runs through Dak, or as someone said Dak Friendly, so how he responds to this change will be key if the Boys are to make a deep run..........we shall see...

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I loved the tweaks he made to Garrett's scheme because Garrett's scheme lacked any creativity and relied too much on players winning matchups without any real scheme help. Moore added movement to create favorable matchups. It wasn't a genius move, as any competent OC could have done it, but it seemed like genius compared to what Garrett was doing.

However, I do believe having been raised in the NFL under Linehan and Garrett that Moore has a bit too much of the Garrett philosophy in his system and it limits the effectiveness of this offense against tougher defenses like San Fran's. I'm hoping that McCarthy's system will be a bit more malleable and get away from some of the predictability of the Garrett philosophy.

It could crash and burn, but I'm just glad to put anything tainted by Garrett's philosophy on offense behind us. I believe he held back what could have been elite offenses. Moore may prove me wrong in LA and McCarthy may do worse as a play-caller here, but I'm eager to see what happens as we finally begin to disassociate with the remnants of Garrettism.
The fans were in love with Kellen Moore when he first arrived, so much so a lot of fans were wanting him to be the Cowboys next HC. Some fans were calling him a genius. Lol It was a lovefest his first two seasons then his playcalling became an issue. You can almost book it with the brutal schedule we have Schottenheimer and McCarthy are going to take some grief this season. Too many fans live in the moment for it not to happen.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I completely agree Mike the fraud is going to be exposed just like he was in green bay.
Jerry knows it, hes got DQ ready to go.
My gut 5 games max.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Doesn’t matter. MM took over this offense to get Dak and the WRs on the same page. Not to run the ball more. Everything coming out on the new offense is all about details and making sure everybody knows what they’re supposed to be doing and why they’re doing. There won’t be an emphasis on running the ball. The emphasis will be on cleaning up the mess in the pass game.
We’ll see..

I think they’re finally admitting to themselves that more Dak is not a good thing against most teams that aren’t terrible.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Is this the Hasselbeck that was the good QB or his brother? Either way the offense runs through Dak, or as someone said Dak Friendly, so how he responds to this change will be key if the Boys are to make a deep run..........we shall see...
Being good literally means nothing.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Fewer points and fewer yards won't necessarily mean a worse offense. I think we see more of a change in philosophy that leans on moving the chains vs collecting yards, avoiding mistakes/turnovers to avoid playing from behind, and creating balance to do this.

I think that last piece is really key. Balance does not mean that the Cowboys will end up running or passing the ball more or less, but will try to be less predictive, and I think the emphasis on having a deep TE group who can all catch and block goes along with that.

I've always believed that KM at least to this point in his young career (which is important to remember) is more of a great play designer than a true coordinator. What I always hoped for but never felt KM did was have a playbook that complimented itself as the game and the season went on. Early to mid 2021 was when I really started to lose some faith in KM. You go back and watch those games early in the season and it was magical especially our run game. Running outside the tackles to perfection....multiple OL pulling on the same play and executing beautifully.....until it wasn't. As soon as teams started to adjust to what the Cowboys were doing offensively they never got it back, and I really think it was largely because of how predictable the offense became. The average viewer could call out run/pass tendencies with pretty good accuracy and teams could take that 2 steps further. KM just always seemed to revert back to the same tricks in end of game and critical 3rd down situations.

kevm3

Reaction score
Problem is we had an offense that was explosive against mediocre defensive teams. When we faced great defenses, they completely shut us down. One of Kellen's problems was that he refused to take the easy first down. It would be 3rd and 2 and yet Dak is launching a ball 20 yards down the field. That literally makes no sense. Kellen was a good coordinator, but he was too inexperienced when it came to high pressure situations and his youth made him look for flash instead of substance. Take the high probability play on short!

75boyz

Reaction score
I heard that McCarthy really doesn’t care about stats and offensive rankings.

I feel like we’re going to lean towards ball control.
Personally,
I find his supposed off season adoption of run the damn ball and rest the defense speech as more lip service coach speak to appease the masses and appear as if a justification for firing Moore.

Past patterns of behavior and ego concerning high volume passing offenses are hard to break. Especially for this HC and QB imo.

Gonna be interesting to see if Mac can lead a bus driver type, time of possession ground game, field position and defensive led team mentality.

While he's never done this type offense before, it sure sounds good at these press conferences.
For now that is, lol.

Fingers crossed.

jmo

conner01

Reaction score
I could be wrong but I think MM's thing is to build your game around each opponent's weakness and that may differ from game to game. For example, why are passing for over 300 yards against a defense ranked 27th against the run? So yea, the offense could take a step back but we could also be a better team, especially post-season.

BTW........remember the Pats tried to jack their offense with Randy Moss? Lead the league in darn near every offensive stat but missed the SB.
We could score less points but if we win that’s what matters. Moore did have an explosive offense and we still have most of those players and have added others. No reason we can’t still be explosive but to me, Moores issue was more trying to be explosive on every drive and not just when it’s there to be explosive. His play calling didn’t compliment the overall game plan.
I have no doubt this team will still be top 5-7 in scoring and maybe even better on defense because of the offense. Sometimes field position is really important and trying to get that explosive play harms your ability to determine field position

conner01

Reaction score
Problem is we had an offense that was explosive against mediocre defensive teams. When we faced great defenses, they completely shut us down. One of Kellen's problems was that he refused to take the easy first down. It would be 3rd and 2 and yet Dak is launching a ball 20 yards down the field. That literally makes no sense. Kellen was a good coordinator, but he was too inexperienced when it came to high pressure situations and his youth made him look for flash instead of substance. Take the high probability play on short!
Against good teams you aren’t gonna get a lot of legit shots at explosive plays. That’s when you just move the chains and pick your spots to shoot for an explosive play

Sydla

Reaction score
Ok so where did the Eagles defense rank? The poster said the Cowboys got fat off dwellers and my point was Eagles were not a dweller. Whether they ranked second or 5th they were a good defense that lead the league in sacks.
Somewhere in the Top 10.

All I did was refute your claim that the Eagles were 1st. They weren't.

Motorola

Reaction score
I could be wrong but I think MM's thing is to build your game around each opponent's weakness and that may differ from game to game. For example, why are passing for over 300 yards against a defense ranked 27th against the run? So yea, the offense could take a step back but we could also be a better team, especially post-season.

BTW........remember the Pats tried to jack their offense with Randy Moss? Lead the league in darn near every offensive stat but missed the SB.
The Patriots did make it to the Super Bowl that first season with Moss -
2007...the year when their offense was off the charts.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
I've been banging this drum for months.

Moore was just this year's scapegoat and McCarthy is unlikely to match his production with this QB.

You weren't careful what you wished for and now you got it.
I've been wishing for an end to the SB drought for a long time now. Still waiting to get what I wished for. I've even eschewed caution and been reckless with this wish of mine.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
We all know the Cowboy offensive rankings are very deceptive. The last 2 seasons down the stretch the offense was a shell of it's former self compared to the 1st half of the season. Cowboys really struggled running the football and teams started using those shell coverages to take away our passing attack. Key is finding that balance and maintaining it throughout the entire year and into the postseason.
+1...... really simple, post-season will expose your weakness. Sure, the offense was top 5 the last 2/3 years but at the end of the day, it made no difference in the post season.

Mannix

Reaction score
----I think they’re finally admitting to themselves that more Dak is not a good thing against most teams that aren’t terrible.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Patriots did make it to the Super Bowl that first season with Moss -
2007...the year when their offense was off the charts.
2007 brings back both bad and fond memories. Bad in that the team did not advance past the divisional round. Good in that I had posted often, from mid-season through the actual Super Bowl game itself, that no modern day NFL franchise, including Dallas, would ever finish undefeated in an entire season. It is disgusting that Miami accomplished the feat but that was a different era and the beginnings of league wide parity was introduced in 1994. Perfection will not happen again.

"There is NO way the Giants will beat Brady!!!"

That was the best CowboysZone game thread ever. Or, at least, I thought so. :muttley:

JBS

Reaction score
We’ll see..

I think they’re finally admitting to themselves that more Dak is not a good thing against most teams that aren’t terrible.
Nope. No chance of that. Wishful thinking on your part