News: SI: Prescott: I was greedy

fansince68

Reaction score
Basically, Dak was saying, I was trying to do things that great QBs do, but I'm not a great QB and I need to stay in my lane.

Let's hope he takes his own advice.
He won't. He will still go deep down field on a 3rd or 4th and 3 yards for the 1st down. It seems as if he thinks he's in his own yard on his 50 yard field.

StarChamber_33

Reaction score
Reading between the lines, I think Dak is saying since we are struggling with the running game he feels like he needs to make plays on his own to keep drives alive and he's starting to get impatient, hence the forced deep throws. It makes sense because when the run game is rolling EVERYTHING opens up and the offense flows, which makes it much easier for him to stay within the game plan.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
It’s frustrating on my part,” Prescott said. “I think just being greedy in some of the reads, trying to put the dagger in them, I guess you could say, rather than just continuing to play through the play and play through the drive. I was trying to do it on one play. I can’t do that. We can’t do that as an offense. We just got to stay within it and allow that play to come.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/dallas-offense-problem-dak-prescott-greedy-final

Tuning risk taking to the situation is one of the main things a QB has to learn. Dak gets it. He's always learning.

nobody

Reaction score
Discounting the implicit subtext of this thread's title, I think it is a good thing Dak reflects on his play, analyses it, and admits his mistakes.

As a side note, have you noticed Dak can reshuffle the formation? Move people into the right place.

Think on Romo getting the ball snapped with one second left. Dak routinely has time to spare.

Not a Dak vs Romo comment. But just looking at the difference in clock management by the quarterback.

I think you're overlooking something. Romo did that on purpose to eat clock time. It's just a different way of doing things. It's not superior or inferior and is based on what the team needs. Since the team's defense regularly sucked, the Offense needed to take as much of the TOP as it could.

Dak does it different. It's not better or worse. It's different.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You seemed to be using Herbert's record after 11 games as compared to Dak's record after 11 games as evidence that Herbert couldn't be a better QB. I ignored the fact that this is a terrible way to compare QB's and provided the career record after 11 games to point out that Dak has been at the same or worse spot 3 of his five seasons. Dak had a worse record in his 2nd season than Herbert has in his.

As has been said here a million times, Wins are a team record. Even if you could use wins to compare QB's, it wouldn't support the argument you made.

ps. "A million times" is a figure of speech. I didn't literally mean a million times.
I used wins and losses as Dak detractors often do. Thought you might relate to it.

So you mean Herbert is A LOT
I am still
"Gun slinger?" Is Rodgers a "Gun slinger?"
Mahomes? Brees? Brady? Manning? None of them are dink and dunk. Ill take whatever it is those guys are.
Peyton Manning is 22nd in YPA at 7.67,
Brees is 24th, at 7.62
Rodgers is pretty up high at 13 1t 7.76
Mahomes is top 5 at 8.12

this shows how aggressive they are going down field....

as far as Yards per completion and the numbers are close for most
Mahomes is 84th (a lot of older retired QBs ahead of him). at 12.3, actually Jamies Winston is ahead of him at 58 with 12.6 YPC
Russell Wilson is 12.1, Rodgers is 11.9 (mayfield is 12.0 just ahead of him), peyton Manning & Brady are 11.7 (way down the list), stafford is 11.6...

so a bit surprsing numbers.....Mahomes seems to be the most aggressive going down field and has some succes.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
He is not a very smart QB if he was being greedy in that game. That game only required holding onto the ball and getting 1st downs. Especially in the 4th. Stupid football. Just like Diggs going for the strip on the 75 yard TD late in the 4th. We don't need the ball with 2 minutes left and a 17 point lead - JUST TACKLE THEM!
exactly. I hate the fact that we sometimes don't play smart football and the HC should be on top of them yelling in their ears......I was screaming at diggs for going for the glory of a turnover, instead of making a smart play and tackling the guy. we have often have not played smart football and that's on the head coach, to make sure players understand and know situational football.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Lol…what a joke. How many SBs has Dak lead is to…I’ll wait. As a matter of fact, look at all those playoff wins.
what did his comment have to do with Dak...you went off the deep end.

btw, stats say that Brady wasn't exactly a deep ball thrower and a gun slinger....he was smart and took what defense gave him....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Thanks, management always nice to see how you don't encourage attacks from other members that have included my family and wife by ridiculing me.
They laughed since 2017 went I said Dak is a DUD just like you laugh at the above scenario.....will see who's laughing last.
P.S. Try neutrality, better for business and fair play for all....
you have had a lot less posts after we won....lets see how much your post totals drop if/when we beat WFT

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You seemed to be using Herbert's record after 11 games as compared to Dak's record after 11 games as evidence that Herbert couldn't be a better QB. I ignored the fact that this is a terrible way to compare QB's and provided the career record after 11 games to point out that Dak has been at the same or worse spot 3 of his five seasons. Dak had a worse record in his 2nd season than Herbert has in his.

As has been said here a million times, Wins are a team record. Even if you could use wins to compare QB's, it wouldn't support the argument you made.

ps. "A million times" is a figure of speech. I didn't literally mean a million times.
your intent obviously was to say that Herbert is a lot better than Dak, but results, facts, stats don't support that...

why kiss Herbert's arse? are you a closet Chargers fan?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Dak has never been a “smart QB”. He’s a system, one read QB. That’s all you’ll ever get from him.
so far
so he is a one read QB,
He is not accurate and he is a one read QB,
He struggles against Zone defense
He struggles against Man defense

yet he is up there in passing yards and TDs, stats and results don't support your bias and eye-test.

and you all are throwing around "system QB" talking point but none of you...and I mean NONE of you have been able to explain the system....which means all of you are pretty clueless and have an agenda to drive