SI: The Dallas Cowboys Are Wasting the Luckiest QB Run in NFL History

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The Cowboys have Dak the same guaranteed money on a five year deal that Goff got on a four year deal a year ago. That is way too low. The Cowboys should have given him the four years he was asking for or went way up on the guaranteed money if they wanted to get a deal done. Obviously it's still possible a deal gets done but it's far less likely imo. There is a reason no qb that's played on the tag has gone on to re-sign with that team.

I have not seen anything that shows the exact amount they were offering Prescott. Back in May, it was reported they were offering him $175 million total for five years, while Goff got $134 million for four. The signing bonus that has been floated is definitely higher than the $25 million Goff received. But these numbers, too, are just speculation.

Dallas offered him what it is willing to pay him now, this year. Next year may be a different story or maybe they tag him for another season and see how things work out in 2022. There's been an awful lot of handwringing over something we can't predict. The only thing we know is that the two sides weren't able to come to an agreement this year. The franchise tag kept that from being the issue some are making it out to be.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
I have not seen anything that shows the exact amount they were offering Prescott. Back in May, it was reported they were offering him $175 million total for five years, while Goff got $134 million for four. The signing bonus that has been floated is definitely higher than the $25 million Goff received. But these numbers, too, are just speculation.

Dallas offered him what it is willing to pay him now, this year. Next year may be a different story or maybe they tag him for another season and see how things work out in 2022. There's been an awful lot of handwringing over something we can't predict. The only thing we know is that the two sides weren't able to come to an agreement this year. The franchise tag kept that from being the issue some are making it out to be.

The last offer was $110 million in total guaranteed money, which is exactly what Goff got. The estimates from media about a fair offer that I have all been around $125 million guaranteed on a five year deal.

Brax

Reaction score
He's not trolling--it's a fact. Like I've said in other posts, they would have already come out ahead if they gave Dak a deal before the 2019 season because he was only making $2 million and they can spread a lot of the cap into that year. Even the rumored $40 million per year extension would have only averaged out to $32 million a year. The Cowboys current offer is $35 million a year. A year from now it will take at the very least $37 million a year to get it done. Not getting this done a year ago was a terrible decision.
If Dak doesn't want that extension when he is making 2 million the team can not force him to sign so that is not a valid stance and the trolls need to stop with that one. Dak bet he could break the bank and it didn't happen and should of, would of, could of don't count. Say all you want but Dak's play was never consistent enough to merit anything close to top dollar. The money spent on the offensive side of the team to try and take away all the excuses for Daks poor play against better teams is a big problem. The window was the last 3 years and Dak failed time after time to get the job done, just the way it is. He has this year to show what he can do but don't expect much difference than the last 3 years of a little great , a lot of average and some not so great. If only he could play Washington and the Giants every other week . Hopefully Dak plays great and takes the team deep into the playoffs (by deep that should be winning the conference championship game) anything less and he should get the boot. All the folks who posted daily about Dak greatness and getting his long term megabucks contract "guaranteed" and the list of excuses for his shortcomings was staggering along with the calling other posters who didn't agree names and the constant insults are now angry and trying to spin some new fantasy, it is really sad.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Opposing viewpoint is Dak will either perform and make a long-term contract look enticing or suck it up and we won't have the long-term cap hit.

The pay for performance continues.
Right. And it’ll be so easy to get his replacement.

We’ll simply select a college player and that is fool proof!! Simple.

You’re all welcome.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Why? What difference does it make if they play him on the tag this year then sign him to a four-year deal next year?

So many seem to act like just because he's playing on the tag this year that means this is it, next year he's gone. That seems like a faulty premise.

No, but it does mean that they really only have ONE more offseason to try and sign him. If they cant come to an agreement by next offseason then trading Dak is the best move for the franchise. Now would Jerry be smart enough to do that? Probably not. And if I had to bet, I would say that Jerry just winds up giving in next offseason.

But the one thing that cant happen is we franchise Dak this year and next year and let him walk in FA. And no chance we tag him for a 3rd year.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
If Dak doesn't want that extension when he is making 2 million the team can not force him to sign so that is not a valid stance and the trolls need to stop with that one. Dak bet he could break the bank and it didn't happen and should of, would of, could of don't count. Say all you want but Dak's play was never consistent enough to merit anything close to top dollar. The money spent on the offensive side of the team to try and take away all the excuses for Daks poor play against better teams is a big problem. The window was the last 3 years and Dak failed time after time to get the job done, just the way it is. He has this year to show what he can do but don't expect much difference than the last 3 years of a little great , a lot of average and some not so great. If only he could play Washington and the Giants every other week . Hopefully Dak plays great and takes the team deep into the playoffs (by deep that should be winning the conference championship game) anything less and he should get the boot. All the folks who posted daily about Dak greatness and getting his long term megabucks contract "guaranteed" and the list of excuses for his shortcomings was staggering along with the calling other posters who didn't agree names and the constant insults are now angry and trying to spin some new fantasy, it is really sad.

They never offered anything close to that. $40 million was the pie-in-the-sky offer that Dak came out and said he didn't even ask for so they likely could have gotten him for less than that. I just used $40 million as an extreme to show any deal the Cowboys got done would have locked up the qb at a reasonable rate for four years. Now they will either pay Dak way more, end up signing a lesser qb for almost the same money, or trying to get lucky in the draft.

gimmesix

Reaction score
No, but it does mean that they really only have ONE more offseason to try and sign him. If they cant come to an agreement by next offseason then trading Dak is the best move for the franchise. Now would Jerry be smart enough to do that? Probably not. And if I had to bet, I would say that Jerry just winds up giving in next offseason.

But the one thing that cant happen is we franchise Dak this year and next year and let him walk in FA. And no chance we tag him for a 3rd year.

Third year would possibly be a tag and trade. However, I believe the two sides will come together and figure something out after McCarthy has had a chance to work with him for a year. This is a supposed QB guru so why would you not want him to take a look under the hood before you figure out what Prescott is worth to you.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Third year would possibly be a tag and trade. However, I believe the two sides will come together and figure something out after McCarthy has had a chance to work with him for a year. This is a supposed QB guru so why would you not want him to take a look under the hood before you figure out what Prescott is worth to you.

I think that the cost of the third year tag would make that impossible.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Right. And it’ll be so easy to get his replacement.

We’ll simply select a college player and that is fool proof!! Simple.

You’re all welcome.

This is the Dallas Cowboys, man. We've now perfected the art of picking up FAs and later-round draft picks who can be franchise quarterbacks.

For all we know, we've already done it again with DiNucci. (Yes, I'm being facetious, but I do admit to being intrigued by the kid and eager to see what he's got ... not as a replacement to Dak but just as an interesting player acquisition.)

gimmesix

Reaction score

If you're not paying it, does it really matter? It might force you to take less in a trade than you want so you don't have to pay the tag, but once someone takes him (after working out a contract, of course), the tag no longer affects you.

gimmesix

Reaction score

If they did the tag and trade (whether next year or in 2022), Dallas probably would then need to use the first-round pick it would get along with its first-round pick to trade up and grab a quarterback early. Ideally, the Cowboys would trade Dak to a team at the top of the draft that needs a quarterback, but those teams would probably rather draft one because of the contract.

I'm not advocating this, just playing out the scenarios where Dallas is unable to sign Dak to a long-term deal. I believe a long-term deal will still happen, it just wasn't urgent yet because the tag pays him less than his yearly average would have been.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you're not paying it, does it really matter? It might force you to take less in a trade than you want so you don't have to pay the tag, but once someone takes him (after working out a contract, of course), the tag no longer affects you.

I believe that you have to account for the tag before you can apply it.

Lutonio

Reaction score
Nothing will be luckier than where Brady got drafted.

In recent memory, Wilson is next.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If they did the tag and trade (whether next year or in 2022), Dallas probably would then need to use the first-round pick it would get along with its first-round pick to trade up and grab a quarterback early. Ideally, the Cowboys would trade Dak to a team at the top of the draft that needs a quarterback, but those teams would probably rather draft one because of the contract.

I'm not advocating this, just playing out the scenarios where Dallas is unable to sign Dak to a long-term deal. I believe a long-term deal will still happen, it just wasn't urgent yet because the tag pays him less than his yearly average would have been.

I believe that any potential trade would have to occur prior to the 2021 draft. After that, it's too late.

They couldn't afford the cost of that third tag and everyone knows it and would simply sit back and wait if they wanted Prescott.

Johnny23

Reaction score
I disagree with this article. San Francisco went from Joe Montana to Steve Young.

New England went from Drew Bledsoe to Tom Brady.

Indianapolis went from Peyton manning to Andrew Luck.

I just can't do it with Dak and Romo. They both had their talents for laye round guys squandered though.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I believe that you have to account for the tag before you can apply it.

I think the amount doesn't apply until the player signs it, but since he can sign it at anytime, you would have to keep the space open. I don't think that will be a problem, though.