Sick of the entire QB scenerio in Dallas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I'm sick to death of hearing how wonderful Vinnie is....sick of hearing about Romo, our undrafte FA who might be better than Henson....sick of hearing about Henson's ability and how he IS going to be our franchise QB, and especially sick of hearing the lame excuses for why he's 3rd string behind Romo who has also done absolutely nothing in his NFL career, a guy who would have been cut and possibly on the practice squad if not for the release of "you know who."

Tell me this:

If we'd drafted Leftwich or Roethlisberger, or even Rex Grossman, do you think any of them would be sitting behind Romo and Vinnie the way Henson is?

I don't....potential potential potential....I'm sick of it....yes, young QB's do need to be prepared...yes, Henson was away from the game for a few years (funny how many of us were blasted for the opinion that he won't be ready to play anytime soon, but now all his supporters understand how he needs to be brought along slowly).

If Henson is so far behind that he can't supplant Romo, who also has no NFL game experience, what makes anyone think that sitting on the sideline running the scout team will have him ready to be our starter next year? If not next year, then he's a long term project we shouldn't even be discussing...we have no QB!!!

If Henson has all that wonderful ability and is the future of this franchise, then surely he should be able to do something well enough to be #2 and to think we could build a game plan around his strengths if we had to. Both of these guys, Romo and Henson, are supposed to have great potential to be our saviors (if you believe what you read on this site), yet both were behind Carter, and would have stayed behind Carter according to Parcells, if Carter was on the team...Vinnie was supposed to be the #2 guy as well. WE all know how crappy Carter was....he gave it his all...BP milked 10 wins out of a lesser team than we have now (according to the majority of posters) with CArter at QB.

Carter wasn't very good...that's a fact...but what does that say about these other 3 dudes?????? Keep telling me how Henson will be the starter in a few years; tell me how Romo might be the starter next year....Yadda Yadda Yadda ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

We don't have a QB. Why doesn't that bother people just as much now as it did when Carter was starting??? OH yeah....I forgot.....several years ago when he was still in his mid-30's, Vinnie had a good year under Parcells (let's not even mention his entire "average or below" career). But now we have us a big improvement at QB.

I hope no one takes this and turns it into a CArter debate...it isn't. I just happen to be of the opinion that we still don't have a QB on this football team this season, and there's absolutely no excuse for it.

GTaylor

Gif Dude
Reaction score
Unfair to judge someone's career when the majority of it was spent in QB hell...you could even argue that Tampa is still QB hell.

I think Vinny is better than advertised, I just hope he can hang in there for 12 more games...

DMX6990

Reaction score
Let make it clear, Henson was going to be the 3nd string for the entire season. That was the plan when we traded for him. As training Camp began, Romo was the 4 guys. Vinny was the backup and Carter was the starter. Once Parcell found out that Carter fail the piss test, then he had to change his plans. Rather then being another veteran to backup Granpa Vinny, he gamble with Romo as the number two guys. But, clearly if you understand the situation, Henson is the backup to Vinny. But, Parcell would much rather throw in Romo, if Vinny got hurt during a game and plus Romo is the team place holder. But given a week to gameplan, Henson would start and Romo would continue to backup.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
What are you going to do, though, Wayne? I think they thought they might have had a QB in Quincy, but he fired himself when he couldn't stay off drugs. We did go out and pretty aggressively get Henson. Parcells thinks Romo has some moxie.

And IMO, Vinny was only supposed to be an safety net in case Carter fell apart. I don't think he was ever supposed to be "the man" here.

I guess what I'm asking is, what are they supposed to do except keep trying guys until they find one? I don't think we're the only team in this spot...

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Wayne Motley said ... "Tell me this:

If we'd drafted Leftwich or Roethlisberger, or even Rex Grossman, do you think any of them would be sitting behind Romo and Vinnie the way Henson is?"

Is this your coulda, woulda, shoulda speel? Franky, I'm sick of hearing all the whining about not picking up Leftwich. Leftwich looks capable, but nothing to write home to mom about. It's all defense over in Jacksonville. Lefty is having some decent and not so decent games.

Hate to say it, but Henson DOES HAVE MORE POTENTIAL than Lefty does. Who do you think was taking snaps away from Tom Brady and eventually put Tom Brady on the bench at Michigan? Yep, Drew Henson. Hmmm, seems to me, even though he opted for baseball that Drew has a ton of pedigree to him. Just some food for thought! :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, one last thing. Drew is the reason why Tom was drafted in the 6th round.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
I'm sick to death of hearing how wonderful Vinnie is....sick of hearing about Romo, our undrafte FA who might be better than Henson....sick of hearing about Henson's ability and how he IS going to be our franchise QB, and especially sick of hearing the lame excuses for why he's 3rd string behind Romo who has also done absolutely nothing in his NFL career, a guy who would have been cut and possibly on the practice squad if not for the release of "you know who."

Tell me this:

If we'd drafted Leftwich or Roethlisberger, or even Rex Grossman, do you think any of them would be sitting behind Romo and Vinnie the way Henson is?

I don't....potential potential potential....I'm sick of it....yes, young QB's do need to be prepared...yes, Henson was away from the game for a few years (funny how many of us were blasted for the opinion that he won't be ready to play anytime soon, but now all his supporters understand how he needs to be brought along slowly).

If Henson is so far behind that he can't supplant Romo, who also has no NFL game experience, what makes anyone think that sitting on the sideline running the scout team will have him ready to be our starter next year? If not next year, then he's a long term project we shouldn't even be discussing...we have no QB!!!

If Henson has all that wonderful ability and is the future of this franchise, then surely he should be able to do something well enough to be #2 and to think we could build a game plan around his strengths if we had to. Both of these guys, Romo and Henson, are supposed to have great potential to be our saviors (if you believe what you read on this site), yet both were behind Carter, and would have stayed behind Carter according to Parcells, if Carter was on the team...Vinnie was supposed to be the #2 guy as well. WE all know how crappy Carter was....he gave it his all...BP milked 10 wins out of a lesser team than we have now (according to the majority of posters) with CArter at QB.

Carter wasn't very good...that's a fact...but what does that say about these other 3 dudes?????? Keep telling me how Henson will be the starter in a few years; tell me how Romo might be the starter next year....Yadda Yadda Yadda ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

We don't have a QB. Why doesn't that bother people just as much now as it did when Carter was starting??? OH yeah....I forgot.....several years ago when he was still in his mid-30's, Vinnie had a good year under Parcells (let's not even mention his entire "average or below" career). But now we have us a big improvement at QB.

I hope no one takes this and turns it into a CArter debate...it isn't. I just happen to be of the opinion that we still don't have a QB on this football team this season, and there's absolutely no excuse for it.

I disagree I think we do have a QB in Henson. As for him being behind Romo according to Parcells during the bye that may not be the case much longer as he very well may place Henson to the #2. As for drafting a QB you run the same risk of hit or miss. I will not say Henson is the next great QB but at least in my opinion he has just as much of a chance in developing into a top notch QB as any other young QB out there today.

Etonicas

Reaction score
wayne_motley said:

The difference is the money they have invested in those QB's.

blindzebra

Reaction score
I just don't get some of you guys. :rolleyes:

If we take Leftwich=no Newman. So were we trading up to get Roethlisberger? Last I checked Grossman is on IR.

If you are going to whine about losing Quincy, at least make an intelligent argument.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wayne...

I've watched Leftwich a lot this year and I'll tell you what, he hasn't knocked my socks off.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
If the team had drafted Leftwich, it would have a major hole at corner. Leftwich has been less than impressive so far anyway. Dallas wasn't in position to draft Roethlisberger (who looks good so far, but has played three lousy teams). Big Ben wasn't able to beat out Tommy Maddox and his own teammates were moaning about the fact that he would start. Now look what happened. Personally, I never thought Grossman was anything special and he hasn't really shown anything yet either.

A third round pick on Henson is a great gamble. If you win, you have a starting QB. If you lose, you are out a third round pick. Definitely worth the risk.

Henson has been away from the game for three years and did get limited playing time in college. He has a steep learning curve. Being #3 doesn't surprise me. Going into the offseason with Vinny and QC (at the time) gave the team the luxury to bring Henson along slowly. Frankly, the guy amazed me in preseason. He looked sharp considering his time away.

Does it surprise me that he isn't #2? Yes, I think he has far more talent than Romo. However, at this point, if you needed a guy to come in and finish a game or a guy to take over for a game or two, you have to go with the guy with the extra year of experience in the system that has been playing football regularly. If it was an extended stretch, I would be surprised to not see Henson.

I really don't expect Henson to see the field this year. He might challenge next year. In fact, he probably should. The Romo hype is, in my opinion, just that. Hype. BP seems to like him, but his play in preseason was pretty lousy. He is an UDFA with a weak arm. He could be a good #2 for a long time. To me, he is Clint Stoerner all over again. I seem to remember quite a few people crowing for him to start too. :rolleyes:

Bottom line. Vinny gives the team the best chance to win now. We don't see practices, so whatever we think is pure speculation anyway. Best case, Henson wins the job next year. Worst case, Vinny (or some other vet or, ugh, Romo) is brought back to give Drew one more year of seasoning.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
GTaylor said:
Unfair to judge someone's career when the majority of it was spent in QB hell...you could even argue that Tampa is still QB hell.

I think Vinny is better than advertised, I just hope he can hang in there for 12 more games...
Good QB's play well everywhere....John Hadl, Vick in Atlanta?, Rattay in SF, you're good or you're not good.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
DMX6990 said:
Let make it clear, Henson was going to be the 3nd string for the entire season. That was the plan when we traded for him. As training Camp began, Romo was the 4 guys. Vinny was the backup and Carter was the starter. Once Parcell found out that Carter fail the piss test, then he had to change his plans. Rather then being another veteran to backup Granpa Vinny, he gamble with Romo as the number two guys. But, clearly if you understand the situation, Henson is the backup to Vinny. But, Parcell would much rather throw in Romo, if Vinny got hurt during a game and plus Romo is the team place holder. But given a week to gameplan, Henson would start and Romo would continue to backup.
Is that your opinion? or have you heard BP say that...I'd feel better about Henson if that were true.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
wayne_motley said:
Good QB's play well everywhere....John Hadl, Vick in Atlanta?, Rattay in SF, you're good or you're not good.

I know I'm not ready to anoint Michael Vick as a good quarterback.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
wayne_motley said:

Counter point: Steve Young in Tampa. Rich Gannon anywhere but Oakland. I am sure there are more.

As far as Vick, I wouldn't even call him a good QB yet. He is a great athlete.... and a below average QB.

Rattay is coming into his own, but I wouldn't call him good either. SF is known for being a QB factory anyway.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
What are you going to do, though, Wayne? I think they thought they might have had a QB in Quincy, but he fired himself when he couldn't stay off drugs. We did go out and pretty aggressively get Henson. Parcells thinks Romo has some moxie.

And IMO, Vinny was only supposed to be an safety net in case Carter fell apart. I don't think he was ever supposed to be "the man" here.

I guess what I'm asking is, what are they supposed to do except keep trying guys until they find one? I don't think we're the only team in this spot...
I still don't think the drugs cost Carter his job....so what if he got a 4 game suspension....then you're right where you are today anyway, with Vinnie. Keeping carter with no suspension looming was not the huge risk everyone said...the kid wasn't making big money...i happen to believe they cut him because they thought he was not the long term solution and that he'd never accept the backup role in Dallas....I still don't think this is about Carter...I just want a decent QB, and I think we've waited long enough.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
blindzebra said:

If we take Leftwich=no Newman. So were we trading up to get Roethlisberger? Last I checked Grossman is on IR.

If you are going to whine about losing Quincy, at least make an intelligent argument.

I agree with you and to me it appears some want a guarantee and there are no guaranties not even with the top college QB prospects. Henson was highly touted even more so than some of the top prospect who have entered the NFL over the last 2 years and I understand until he proves himself none of this talk means anything but I will say he is the best candidate the Cowboys have had to take over at QB since Troy Aikman was drafted in 89.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Fletch said:
Wayne Motley said ... "Tell me this:

If we'd drafted Leftwich or Roethlisberger, or even Rex Grossman, do you think any of them would be sitting behind Romo and Vinnie the way Henson is?"

Is this your coulda, woulda, shoulda speel? Franky, I'm sick of hearing all the whining about not picking up Leftwich. Leftwich looks capable, but nothing to write home to mom about. It's all defense over in Jacksonville. Lefty is having some decent and not so decent games.

Hate to say it, but Henson DOES HAVE MORE POTENTIAL than Lefty does. Who do you think was taking snaps away from Tom Brady and eventually put Tom Brady on the bench at Michigan? Yep, Drew Henson. Hmmm, seems to me, even though he opted for baseball that Drew has a ton of pedigree to him. Just some food for thought! :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, one last thing. Drew is the reason why Tom was drafted in the 6th round.
If Henson is any good, then by golly stick his white butt in there and let's see what he can do...it's not like he's waiting behind a good QB or something.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
blindzebra said:

you are sometimes very thick and slow to comprehend...so i'll say it again slowly....Carter was not good....look up and read...this is not about Carter...he'd proven he was not the man....my point is I don't see the man anywhere. If Henson is secretly #2 as some say and about ready to take over for that loser Vinnie, then I'll be happy.

I'm going strictly by what I see and what BP tells us of his team....I'm frustrated because we've been 4-5 years and are no better off at Qb for this season than we were when Aikman retired....also, the argument some have used that BP didn't know Carter would be released doesn't hold water either because most here agree that Carter was awful....so why were we still going to play him....when are we going to play or find a decent QB.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
I still don't think the drugs cost Carter his job....so what if he got a 4 game suspension....then you're right where you are today anyway, with Vinnie. Keeping carter with no suspension looming was not the huge risk everyone said...the kid wasn't making big money...i happen to believe they cut him because they thought he was not the long term solution and that he'd never accept the backup role in Dallas....I still don't think this is about Carter...I just want a decent QB, and I think we've waited long enough.

I think you have hit the nail on the head regarding Carter. And I agree on wanting a good QB. Jerry seems determined to find a QB on the cheap. Hopefully, he finally hit on one with Henson. Time will tell. Patience is a virtue.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
wayne_motley said:
you are sometimes very thick and slow to comprehend...so i'll say it again slowly....Carter was not good....look up and read...this is not about Carter...he'd proven he was not the man....my point is I don't see the man anywhere. If Henson is secretly #2 as some say and about ready to take over for that loser Vinnie, then I'll be happy.

I'm going strictly by what I see and what BP tells us of his team....I'm frustrated because we've been 4-5 years and are no better off at Qb for this season than we were when Aikman retired....also, the argument some have used that BP didn't know Carter would be released doesn't hold water either because most here agree that Carter was awful....so why were we still going to play him....when are we going to play or find a decent QB.

So Wayne are you saying you think Carter was a Pro-bowl quarterback?

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.