Sick of the entire QB scenerio in Dallas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Let's talk about being called out.

Here is what Carter actually did the first 4 games of 03.

Atlanta - Lost, without Vick.

15/32 268 yards 1 TD/1 Int
Less then 50% completion. 8.38 YPA against a team that went 5-11. 2-10 with Vick out and 3-1 with upon Vicks return. This team would ultimatly finish dead last in team defense in the NFL. Also dead last in pass defense.

Giants - Won in OT.

25/40 321 yards 0 TD/1 Int
62.5 % completion. 8.03 YPA against a pretty good team. However, this was a game we really should have lost. If the Giants don't make a bone head mistake, Carter's numbers look more like this, 9/23 1 TD/1 Int 39.1 % completion, 260 yards and 6.5 ypa. This team would end the year ranked 22 overall in team defensively. 26th in passing defense. Lots of teams QBs did well against them.

Jets - Won Without Pennington

11/23 165 yards 1 TD/1 Int
47.8 % completion. 7.17 ypa, BTW, Vinnie went 21/29 219 o TD/0 Int. The Jets were 0-4 at the time. They would eventually end up 6-10. This team would end the year ranked 21st overall. 11th overall in passing defense. A little better then the Giants but not much.

Cardinals - Won without Plummer.

20/31 277 yards 2 TDs/1 Int
64.5 % completion. 8.93 YPA. Probably the only good game of the 1st four IMO. Still in all, the Cardinals would go 4-12 for the season. This team would end the season 26th in overall defense in the NFL. 25th overall in passing defense. Lots of QBs had good games against them.

In contrast, here are Vinnie's:

Minnisota - Lost

29/50 355 yards 1 TD/0 Int.
58% completion. 7.1 YPA. Really and excellent game by Vinnie. Our defense simply couldn't hold. To many mistakes. 4 Games in, the Vikes are ranked 31st in defense overall and in pass defense. No surprise that we scored on these guys.

Cleveland - Won

23/35 322 yards 1 TD/3 Ints.
65.7 % completion. 9.2 YPA. This too was a good outing except for the 3rd quarter where Vinnie threw 3 ints. Take this quarter away and there is really 0 comparison at all. Still, we won the game. 4 games in, Cleveland is 22 in overall defense and 21st in passing defense. Not a good defense IMO.

Washington - Won

14/29 214 yards 1 TD/0 Ints.
48.3 % completion. 7.38 YPA. Not a great game for Vinnie here. Did enough to win but that's it. 4 games in, Washington is 3rd in over all defense and 6th in overall pass defense.

NY Giants - Lost

15/24 126 yards 1 TD/1 Int.
62.5 % completion. 8.4 YPA. Stats are not great here but really, they didn't have to be. We controlled this game from the outset. The running game worked. This is a loss, not because of Vinnie but because we made mistakes mentally. The out put is not great here but it also didn't kill us. Vinnie played well enough to win this game. Defensively, Giants are ranked 18th in overall defense and 11th in passing defense.

Based on these numbers, I would have to say that Vinnie has performed much better in a 4 game stretch then Carter last year. He has faced much better compatition, IMO, thus far and he has the 19th ranked defense supporting him, as opposed to the 1st overall, as did Carter. You also have to factor in penalties, which everybody knows are way up from last year.

These are the numbers and nothing I've said here is unfactual. Vinnie is not an all pro but he is better then Carter ever was. I think I'll hold up on that bus ticket if you don't mind. Honestly, I don't see where it's needed at this point.
http://img.***BLOCKED***/albums/v248/jpoogie/sumowned.jpg

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Jimz31 said:
LOL. Keep it up with your excuse making. You made excuses for the losses for VT, yet made excuses such as "we should have lost" for QC's and you might as well had said that "this was actually a bad team that we played."

You asked for the stats....I gave them WITHOUT commentary.

You say that VT has faced better competition, yet you justify your position based things that can only be determined AFTER the season.

First you wanted stats.....I gave them to you, and now you have to explain them away. This is getting funnier and funnier. VT has more weapons. Why isn't he scoring? Oh, that's right penalties.

(You know that I agree with you that it isn't VT's fault as I believe that no QB wins or loses a game on his own. I'm just using the logic that some of you used last year.)

It gets funnier and funnier.

You gave win loss, INT and TD. That's really all. You didn't give commentary because you didn't want to get into the rest of the numbers. I wanted all the stats. Get it? Not just the ones that make your guy look good, if that's at all possible. We could go further here. We could break down quarter redzone stats and penalties but honestly, it's not needed. Carter got credit for the team winning. He did very little to facilitate that himself. Honestly Jim, how can you even question this? I'm glad you say that it's not just the QB because I don't think it is either but I do say this, Vinnie has played better then QC to this point. The problem is not the QB. It's penalities and mental laps. I would also have to say that in at least a couple of situations, coaching has played a role.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Jimz31 said:
It's funny that when I use the exact same excuses that were used by "the other side" that I'M now full of it!

This is getting more and more ironic.

How is it that you can be on the other side if your firmly planted on the fence there Jimmy?

Chuck 54

Reaction score
This thread began with some of my opinions...I tried to be diplomatic and reasonable, but here's the clearcut skinny for those who keep misinterpreting and thinking they know what I'm really all about:

1. Vinny Testeverde sucks, has always sucked, and will continue to suck, and should never be a starting QB in the NFL unless by injury.

2. I have no belief that Romo is anything but a piece of wasted space in the locker room and on the sideline.

3. I want to win and hope Henson will be a decent QB, but I believe, based on history, that he's nothing but another baseball player who will not adapt to the NFL...I don't think he'll ever QB the Cowboys in the playoffs.

4. Though there have been exceptions in the NFL, I still think the best and most reliable way to end up with a franchise QB is to draft him in round 1. When you draft a blue-chip, highly rated college signal caller, you take a risk, but more Great QB's are found that way than in any other, imo.

5. I want to see a REAL QB brought to the Dallas Cowboys...I don't care if it's a guy like Collins or Warner or Brunell, or a top draft pick....at this point in time I'll take anyone who's proven something recently or who has the confidence of the rest of the NFL and college scouts. And no, for a QB, I don't mind taking the gamble or paying the huge salary.

6. I'd play Henson right now (I wouldn't waste my time on Romo because I believe he's a piece of crap), and I'd find out if Henson looks like he's got a shot for next year at game speed or if he's now a "long" range project. Anyone who claims to think he knows what Henson will be without seeing him in a real game is full of crap. I'd want to see it, and if I don't see it, I'd be evaluating the top QB's in this year's draft.

However, instead of talking about Testeverde and the fact that no one "really" knows if either of our other QB's could even run a team without a total meltdown because we played the village idiots and went to battle with an overthehill neverwas and two kids who've never taken an NFL snap, somehow it has become nothing more than the same old silly, pompous, assinine, bully, namecalling threads that some who don't like others opinions like to see in black and white with their pseudo-names attached.

This thread should probably be moved to "SMACK"

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
This thread began with some of my opinions...I tried to be diplomatic and reasonable, but here's the clearcut skinny for those who keep misinterpreting and thinking they know what I'm really all about:

1. Vinny Testeverde sucks, has always sucked, and will continue to suck, and should never be a starting QB in the NFL unless by injury.

2. I have no belief that Romo is anything but a piece of wasted space in the locker room and on the sideline.

3. I want to win and hope Henson will be a decent QB, but I believe, based on history, that he's nothing but another baseball player who will not adapt to the NFL...I don't think he'll ever QB the Cowboys in the playoffs.

4. Though there have been exceptions in the NFL, I still think the best and most reliable way to end up with a franchise QB is to draft him in round 1. When you draft a blue-chip, highly rated college signal caller, you take a risk, but more Great QB's are found that way than in any other, imo.

5. I want to see a REAL QB brought to the Dallas Cowboys...I don't care if it's a guy like Collins or Warner or Brunell, or a top draft pick....at this point in time I'll take anyone who's proven something recently or who has the confidence of the rest of the NFL and college scouts. And no, for a QB, I don't mind taking the gamble or paying the huge salary.

6. I'd play Henson right now (I wouldn't waste my time on Romo because I believe he's a piece of crap), and I'd find out if Henson looks like he's got a shot for next year at game speed or if he's now a "long" range project. Anyone who claims to think he knows what Henson will be without seeing him in a real game is full of crap. I'd want to see it, and if I don't see it, I'd be evaluating the top QB's in this year's draft.

However, instead of talking about Testeverde and the fact that no one "really" knows if either of our other QB's could even run a team without a total meltdown because we played the village idiots and went to battle with an overthehill neverwas and two kids who've never taken an NFL snap, somehow it has become nothing more than the same old silly, pompous, assinine, bully, namecalling threads that some who don't like others opinions like to see in black and white with their pseudo-names attached.

This thread should probably be moved to "SMACK"

I agree. I, for one hope it, along with this whole Carter vs whomever issue, stays there.

Status
Not open for further replies.