Sick of the entire QB scenerio in Dallas

Status
Not open for further replies.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
OLDSCHOOL said:
he played in series, BUT he did not replace Brady, he could not replace Brady Period.

Well, he took playing time away from Brady. He must have been pretty good. And when he went in for those series, he replaced Brady. That is what replacing someone is. He replaced Brady to the bench for those series.

StateCollegeCowboy

aka BostonCowboy
Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
I give up....I bow down to the almighty god, Bill Parcells. I hated his fat behind in NY, but I hope the total free reign you guys think he deserves will be proven out. Clearly, we're going to win fewer games this year than last year. So I guess next year is our year....or if we still don't have a QB or we struggle with Henson because he'll be a first year, no experience player, then Bill will get another year, right?

I'm just tired of being mediocre, and I'm not used to seeing JJ sit back and not make moves at key positions. As bad as Carter was, he played as a rookie...I'd be playing Henson, but obviously I know nothing.

Just because Carter started as a rookie doesn't mean that it was the best move at the time... that was the campo era.

So why don't we start Henson? I don't know wayne, maybe because there is more to the game of football than just the QB position?

Is Henson better than Vinney right now? Very doubtful. I'm sure he is physically better but he is not mentally ready. No QB is thier first year, especially when you have been away from the game for 3 years.

Now with that being said, I suspect the real reason why Henson is not in there right now is because of the rest of the team. Bill has been preaching about playing the best players, never giving up, playing to win, and above all... believing.

What kind of message does it send to the rest of the team that your coach is giving up on you and the season this early by pulling the better player (right now) for the rookie and tanking the rest of the season? Do you think those players will believe in what he says again? Will they play as hard for him next year? I don't know and I don't want to find out.

Henson will get his chance and if Vin is as bad as you say he is Wayne, we'll be out of the playoffs by mid-season and Henson will be in there getting his much needed snaps. But right now, with the lack of a running game and defenses playing more against the pass, Vinney is the better QB to read those defenses to find the openings. Henson is not ready yet.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
I'm following what you're thinking, but if all this is true, then BP isn't as smart as most have given him credit for being.

1. everyone knew hutch was a pile of crap
2. everyone knew carter was a smaller pile
3. BP is using a #2 QB on game day, a guy no one in the NFL even would want as a #3 guy if he'd have passed through waivers and made it to our PS
4. Vinnie still stinks no matter what smoke BP blows up our pants legs.

I call that very poor planning when most of these things were obvious to everyone watching the team.

Well, you could make a great case in asking what the heck Bill was thinking when he decided to count on a QB last year that he knew had drug problems in the past. I don't know the answer to that one. He really seemed to like Quincy for some strange reason.

I think part of this is what Juke has said... That Parcells thinks he doesn't need a better-than-average QB to win. Of course, that point is debatable, too.

But you know... Parcells could be thinking along the lines that you are, and be planning to play Henson in a couple games to get him ready for next year, for all we know. We are only four games into the season. :)

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
junk said:
Well, he took playing time away from Brady. He must have been pretty good. And when he went in for those series, he replaced Brady. That is what replacing someone is. He replaced Brady to the bench for those series.

Thanks junk. Some in here just don't like the pick up of Henson I guess. Oh well, it's why we are in here posting and cussin and discussin while Bill and his staff are makin the big bucks. :D

MikeD17

Benched
Reaction score
It will be a A Very long time until we get back to the superbowl if Henson who cant start over an undrafted player flops , or if romo who wasnt even drafted flops .

BARB,
I KNOW HOW WE CAN FREE VINNY , BY CUTTING HIS SORRY *** TODAY!!

MikeD17

Benched
Reaction score
Unforgiven that might be the lamest excuse as to why Henson is third string ive heard in my life, thats even worse then hostiles ''hensons third string so he can run the scout team '' comment .

You Dullards have no clue what your talking about

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
blindzebra said:
I just don't get some of you guys. :rolleyes:

If we take Leftwich=no Newman. So were we trading up to get Roethlisberger? Last I checked Grossman is on IR.

If you are going to whine about losing Quincy, at least make an intelligent argument.

I agree with this. Wayne, why don't you just come out and say your still pissed about Carter?

blindzebra

Reaction score
MikeD17 said:
Unforgiven that might be the lamest excuse as to why Henson is third string ive heard in my life, thats even worse then hostiles ''hensons third string so he can run the scout team '' comment .

You Dullards have no clue what your talking about

The peak of irony...

Your is possessive, as in your opinion, your idea, etc. What you want to say is YOU ARE or YOU'RE.

With YOUR track record of opinion, YOU'RE running a huge risk calling anyone a dullard, especially when you do it so illiterately. ;)

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Unforgiven said:
Let me post this one more time.

The reason Romo is listed as the number 2 QB, is he is the guy Parcells prefers to have holding kicks for fieldgoals. Romo could not hold kicks as the number three QB because he would be the "Emergency" QB and could not be the holder. Romo is a better holder than Henson. Parcells trusts Romo to hold. The only way Romo can hold is if he is listed as number 2. Plain and simple. If Testaverde goes down, Romo will finish the game. If the injury causes Testaverde to miss extended time, Henson will become the starter, and Romo will back him up......and you guessed it.....be the holder.

Romo is the backup QB because he beat Henson out fair and square. Just like Tom Brady did year after year in College!

Drew is luckier than Chad was, he has a coach who understands how rediculous it woud be to throw Henson out there this year.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nors said:
Romo is the backup QB because he beat Henson out fair and square. Just like Tom Brady did year after year in College!

Drew is luckier than Chad was, he has a coach who understands how rediculous it woud be to throw Henson out there this year.

So Norsey what's the chance the Redsox come back?

zack

Reaction score
I love the post. Very true, very true. I am too very sick of this QB situation. We are so far away from having the next Aikman, Staubach with this bunch of QB's on the roster. I am sick of potential. What I a pissed about is that we wasted 3 years on a guy that was improving. Yeah, he failed a drug test. What was the substance, marajuana, steroids? Does anyone really know? Parcells I think had his mind made up as soon as Vinny was free. I smell conspiracy and it appears it might backfire. God I hope not!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Wayne I can feel part of the frustration you are feeling. I have been wanting Dallas to address QB since 1996. I think we waited way too long to look for Aikman's eventual replacement. In truth, we are still looking for him.

Sometimes what Parcells does simply leaves me scratching my head. Not going after a vet QB last year for instance when all we had were the Bear and the Jet. It was a position of glaring need, yet he decided to do nothing.

We still made the playoffs with the Jet and a defense that realls played well together.

We still had a glaring need at QB, in my opinion. It wasn't popular to say it most of the time, but I did anyway. There were things I liked about the Bear. There were things I liked about the Jet.

Right now there are things I like and dislike about Vinny. This won't be popular, I no longer see QB as a glaring need on this team.

Now having said that let me qualify the statement. I did not want Vinny Testaverde and I made that pretty well known. I did want a vet option. He was not it. Quite simply, his age is a factor in my mind.

People here can delude themselves all they want, Drew Henson is being groomed as the QB of this club, not Tony Romo.

When we aquired Henson one of the first things I said was that if he did anythign other than carry a clipboard this year it was going to take the Jaws of Life to remove my foot from BP's backside. I changed my stance on that very quickly and even went so far as to say he is the best QB on this squad and would start Game 1.

Obviously that didn't happen but I hav enot changed my stance that he is the best QB for this club. I do believe we will see him play this year.

I wish I could say when. I am impatient. I want to acclimate him to the NFL speed right now. It's not my call.

In a Press Conference BP said Henson was 3rd string right now to run the scout team. Whether a couple of guys want to admit it or not you get more experience running the scout team than you do running the game plans.

As has been said, if Vinny goes down in a game Romo will replace him. If he goes down for more than 1 game, I don't think there is any doubt Henson will take over.

Where does that leave us right now? I wish I knew. I am not used to rooting for octogenarians but am forced to at this point. To his credit Vinny has not played near as badly as the criticism of him has maintained. Don't get me wrong, he hasn't been good enough either. Is he playing better than the Jet did last year? Yeah I think so. It still doesn't make it good enough. Not by a long shot.

I am ready to get on with the future. However, until this team is out of contention it is probably in our best interests to not throw him to the fire just yet. Believe me, it's nto easy for me to say that is what is best for this team. Not easy at all.

Unforgiven

Reaction score
I truly believe some people are suffering from withdrawal from the Hutch vs Carter threads. Now they are trying to start a Henson vs Romo flame war. I just don't think it will fly.

As far as what MikeD17 said about me earlier, it's just that simple. Henson bobbled a few snaps in the preseason. At that point, Parcells decided to try the punter, which would have enabled him to make Henson number 2 sooner, had the punter worked out. That didn't work out, so he was forced to go to the only guy he trusted as the holder, Romo. If Romo was listed as number 3 emergency QB, he could not come in and hold snaps. The only way Romo can hold snaps is to be number 2 and active. What is so hard about it? It says nothing about Henson's ability to pass Romo on the depth chart. For all we know, Henson has made leaps and bounds of improvements over the last five weeks. That would not change anything. Romo would still have to be number 2 in order to hold. Get it? What is so complicated about it?

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Unforgiven said:
I truly believe some people are suffering from withdrawal from the Hutch vs Carter threads. Now they are trying to start a Henson vs Romo flame war. I just don't think it will fly.

As far as what MikeD17 said about me earlier, it's just that simple. Henson bobbled a few snaps in the preseason. At that point, Parcells decided to try the punter, which would have enabled him to make Henson number 2 sooner, had the punter worked out. That didn't work out, so he was forced to go to the only guy he trusted as the holder, Romo. If Romo was listed as number 3 emergency QB, he could not come in and hold snaps. The only way Romo can hold snaps is to be number 2 and active. What is so hard about it? It says nothing about Henson's ability to pass Romo on the depth chart. For all we know, Henson has made leaps and bounds of improvements over the last five weeks. That would not change anything. Romo would still have to be number 2 in order to hold. Get it? What is so complicated about it?

The Henson supporters clung to when he was *** up holds in preseason. He's holding PK he must be #2. WRONG

Fact is Romo is the better QB today and obviously the better PK holder.

This is a production business. Those without a role might ask, Why? :p

silver

Reaction score
Me thinks Testaverde starts as long as we are in contention to make the playoffs or gets hurt whichever comes first. Parcells has stated that proving people wrong is what drives him. That's what he told Testaverde, George & Keyshawn when he signed them: "Let's prove our critics wrong." Whether we agree with this thinking or not is inconsequential. Parcells will be around at least one more year to prove his point.

Now it's obvious that Jerry's frugal ways have affected the way the team has adressed the QB position. It seems Jerry wants to find a bargain QB at the team's expense. His epitaph will read "He was 10 million under the CAP"

I too share Wayne's frustation about when are we going to draft a franchise QB. However, it took a miracle come from behind win by Green Bay's Don Magkowsky (SP) for us to secure the first pick in 1989. Our wait could've been 12 years longer than it's been so far.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Nors said:
The Henson supporters clung to when he was *** up holds in preseason. He's holding PK he must be #2. WRONG

Fact is Romo is the better QB today and obviously the better PK holder.

This is a production business. Those without a role might ask, Why? :p

You sure hang your hat on some crappy players. Shanle, Thornton as a LB, Romo, EG. I am sure glad you aren't coach.

wileedog

Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
I'm sick to death of hearing how wonderful Vinnie is....sick of hearing about Romo, our undrafte FA who might be better than Henson....sick of hearing about Henson's ability and how he IS going to be our franchise QB, and especially sick of hearing the lame excuses for why he's 3rd string behind Romo who has also done absolutely nothing in his NFL career, a guy who would have been cut and possibly on the practice squad if not for the release of "you know who."

Tell me this:

If we'd drafted Leftwich or Roethlisberger, or even Rex Grossman, do you think any of them would be sitting behind Romo and Vinnie the way Henson is?

I don't....potential potential potential....I'm sick of it....yes, young QB's do need to be prepared...yes, Henson was away from the game for a few years (funny how many of us were blasted for the opinion that he won't be ready to play anytime soon, but now all his supporters understand how he needs to be brought along slowly).

If Henson is so far behind that he can't supplant Romo, who also has no NFL game experience, what makes anyone think that sitting on the sideline running the scout team will have him ready to be our starter next year? If not next year, then he's a long term project we shouldn't even be discussing...we have no QB!!!

If Henson has all that wonderful ability and is the future of this franchise, then surely he should be able to do something well enough to be #2 and to think we could build a game plan around his strengths if we had to. Both of these guys, Romo and Henson, are supposed to have great potential to be our saviors (if you believe what you read on this site), yet both were behind Carter, and would have stayed behind Carter according to Parcells, if Carter was on the team...Vinnie was supposed to be the #2 guy as well. WE all know how crappy Carter was....he gave it his all...BP milked 10 wins out of a lesser team than we have now (according to the majority of posters) with CArter at QB.

Carter wasn't very good...that's a fact...but what does that say about these other 3 dudes?????? Keep telling me how Henson will be the starter in a few years; tell me how Romo might be the starter next year....Yadda Yadda Yadda ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

We don't have a QB. Why doesn't that bother people just as much now as it did when Carter was starting??? OH yeah....I forgot.....several years ago when he was still in his mid-30's, Vinnie had a good year under Parcells (let's not even mention his entire "average or below" career). But now we have us a big improvement at QB.

I hope no one takes this and turns it into a CArter debate...it isn't. I just happen to be of the opinion that we still don't have a QB on this football team this season, and there's absolutely no excuse for it.

If you were a Bengals fan I'm guessing you would have put a bullet through your head years ago.

Finding a QB is and always will be the greatest crapshoot in the NFL. We've been spoiled rotten for decades, and now that we've had a a couple of years to taste what every other NFL team has gone through at one time or another it becomes "inexecusable"

Get over it. Aikman went out too soon. Carter was a bad gamble that didn't pay off. Vinny is a bridge to our next shot in the dark, but despite all of Henson's potential (and I believe he has a lot) he is still just that - another gamble, who may or may not pay off.

There's no science developed yet for sure fire QB development. SOme of the biggest 1st round busts ever were QBs, some of the most amazing later round jewels are found at QB.

Drafting Leftwich *may* have been a good idea, but in the long run he's just as much a crapshoot as Henson at this point.

Quite frankly I'm more pissed about our RB situation, who are much easier to find, than I can logically ever be about our QB situation. That's life in the NFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.