News: Sign QB to bucks, lose top players

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jethro is the boss, Jimmy was the help....he quit. I don't blame him, but I don't blame Jerry either. Crap happens and people still cry about it 25 years later!!
Who in the hell lets their back to back championship HC go cause his ego. Unbelievable.

No critic I’ve ever heard from doesn’t hold Jethro ultimately responsible. It’s his job to do whatever it takes to hold it together.

Can you provide any other example in NFL history where a GM or owner parted ways after championships because the owner or GM wanted more credit for the success . Bizarre but yet we continue to have a handful of homers who will defend our owner.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I'll tell you the reason, and it wasn't Dak's injury. The reason was we weren't playing the Eagles, Panthers, Giants, or Atlanta. Notice Atlanta came after the Denver game.

The Cowboys offense all year had trouble against average to good teams. Yes, had trouble against average teams. They feasted on garbage teams only. The only exception being the Patriots. Our D stepped up in wins against the Vikings and Chargers.
probably. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case. but I don't put it all on Dak, although I have said it a 100 times, Dak wasn't good. but Moore's play calling was bad. and the OL played really bad. after denver teams really played us like denver played us and they had success. AZ was able to rush with 4, generate pressure and drop 7. SF did the same thing. KC the same. and Moore would abandon the run and go pass crazy and specially with those WR screen.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Calf injuries are scary...either Dak played scared, or KM coached scared.
or both.

one thing I noticed, after I looked at all the videos I could, Dak's foot work went south and was awful awful awful after his injury. he might have said it didn't bother him, but his throws on the run, going to the right were way worse after the injury. he was actually much better from the pocket than on the move, so it surprised me that MM, being an analytics guy didn't see that. go see for your self.

Flamma

Reaction score
well, if they franchised him, then they would be on the books for 18.5M. teams often don't like that, because contracts can be manipulated to reduce the amount (see Dak prescott 40M average, but 17 and 19M cap hits).

Yes, contracts can be manipulated. I've been following your back and forth and I think both of you are right to some extent. Teams will manipulate contracts to a point. There comes a time where they say enough is enough. A lot of that has to do with the cap going forward.

I'm sure the Packers could have found a way to keep Adams, but chose not to pay a 30 year old WR 140M dollar contract after paying their QB 150M. As it is Rodgers is taking up 13% of the cap, 2023 cap hits for those two would be shocking. Push more money forward? You have to be careful how far you take that manipulation.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That's never been verified. It was more of mutual parting according to them unless Booger's drunk in public again.

For Booger to have approached him with that idea for the war room in their last draft has to tell you how desperate Booger was for attention, he's a child in that regard. For Wannstedt to have to talk Johnson into coming into the war room tells me how far that rift was becoming.

Then Booger gets drunk in public, evidently a habit, and wants some credit and to be toasted by Johnson's coaching staff and for them to shun him tells you just how much the coaching staff thought of Booger.

Other GM's do not step up and want to overshadow their HC's and they seldom share anything with the media. They understand the coaching staff is its own animal.

Booger saw Johnson becoming a media star and was so jealous he couldn't handle it. Add to this he caught all of the heat for firing Landry and the death threats for not signing Emmitt and Johnson actually gets the credit for Emmitt getting signed and in by the 3rd game.

Now, the seeds of this were sewn when they were roommates at AR and Booger was an OL and Johnson a DL. That team was all about defense and set the record for scoring and had 5 shutouts, the offense was there so we could go to the bathroom or fix a sammich. It truly was an amazing defense and just judging by Johnson's personality, I don't think he let Booger forget the D was the dog and the O the tail.

According to the SEC doc "Before They Were Cowboys", Booger was inspired by Switzer, just as Johnson, and wanted to go into coaching but the money wasn't a lure and he didn't follow his true dream. Johnson did and lived the dream at the highest possible level, college and NFL rings. I think Booger admired and respected Johnson but I think he was just as jealous of him. Because his accomplishments were public, Booger hit a gusher, no one cared.

When Johnson pulled that radio move before the Niners game, he took on legendary status in Dallas and that was just too much for Booger's childlike ego to handle.

The town was just not big enough for the both of them and Johnson wanted out anyway.
Yea, I’m trying to think of another GM or owner that wasn’t willing to let their championship HC be the face of the franchise.

Tex was one of the most prominent GM in the league. And extremely instrumental in the Cowboys success while enjoying the spotlight but even he knew that Landry was the guy and face of the franchise.

It all goes back to Jethro wanting to be a football guy and face of his franchise however disgraceful he’s become. Shame on us for not holding him more directly responsible where it hurts the most.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
If you didn’t say it then explain this comment. It sounds to me like you’re saying the Packers and Cheifs think with their great QBs they can just put in another WR instead paying big bucks to Adams and Hill. I can assure you their teams don’t think that.
yes, exactly. again, taken out of context (given you accused me of it in your previous post). I have said it at least 15 times if not 20, there is a line that teams dont' cross on certain players and walk away. and its different for different teams. some teams think they can just put in another WR and their QB will be good. I gave you examples. Brady with edleman and welker. I gave you examples with GB and rodgers, from their own past. same players going somewhere else and not producing anywhere close. ....they did exactly that, replaced those WRs and they produced. some times they think that because of their QBs, not every team, but some teams, that have players like Rodgers, Mahomes, Brady. was that the line of thinking for KC? they defintley had a line they didn't want to cross, but their 120M offer is nothing small even in this day and age of NFL. again, could they not afford another 20M over the life of the contract if they wanted to? really, that's your entire basis of your meaningless argument? that KC couldn't afford 20M over the life of a 4, 5 year contract? really!!!! that's why they lost hill!!! really!!! that's what you are basing you entire argument on?

now, again, what does them thinking they can plug in another player and get same results has to do with them not being able to afford a player?....for the sake of argument lets say I am wrong and they can't just plug another player..

so why was Adams and Hill offered large contracts? their teams clearly valued them to offer a contract. certainly GB really valued Adams since they franchised him (generally a minimal occurance in NFL)....and they offered them large contracts. so your premise that if QB X signs for large dollars, the team can't afford any other players any more is wrong.....

go ahead and divert, not answer the question, spin, distract....this is what you have done and I haven't allowed you to and its bugging you that you just can't get away with your BS and your ego won't allow you to walk away or admit that perhaps you may have been wrong.

come on jerry, put your ego aside

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
LOL. that's what you said. its your quote. in your comment. and now you say its BS and twisted. too funny.

I posted my quote along with what you accused me of saying and you twisted my comment. You got busted! LOL

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Jimmy is gone....let it go!! This is a Cowboys site and he quit on us. Screw him
yep, his ego had to have all the credit. sheesh, jerry bought those super bowls, then the NFL had to go to the salary cap to prevent him from buying more. was jimmy under the salary cap in Miami?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Yes, contracts can be manipulated. I've been following your back and forth and I think both of you are right to some extent. Teams will manipulate contracts to a point. There comes a time where they say enough is enough. A lot of that has to do with the cap going forward.

I'm sure the Packers could have found a way to keep Adams, but chose not to pay a 30 year old WR 140M dollar contract after paying their QB 150M. As it is Rodgers is taking up 13% of the cap, 2023 cap hits for those two would be shocking. Push more money forward? You have to be careful how far you take that manipulation.
thank you. that's what I said several times in the debate we have been having....that there is a line teams won't cross. that's it. its not a question of affordability. does Rodgers contract have an imapct. It would be stupid to say no. but to say because he signed a large contract thus they can't sign anybody else is a false premise. and based on reports, they did offer adams similar contract but he chose to move on, ala cowboys and cooper, they just wanted to move on from each other and it wasn't just a contract issue, given cowboys have 28M in cap space. and Cooper agreed to redo his contract and provide 15M in cap relief.....Jerry and Stephen just had it with cooper and in their mind they wanted to get rid of him.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I posted my quote along with what you accused me of saying and you twisted my comment. You got busted! LOL
yeah, sure....you are starting to just divert, point fingers, make false accusations to drop out of the argument without having to admit you were wrong....your ego is getting the best of you and you need to just quit. right now. quite while you are behind. I told you several posts ago

yoru quote, with sentences from before and after what I quoted before

"A lot of things are being reported it just depends on which report is accurate. In the beginning the Packers didn’t offer Adams the huge contract he was looking for and franchised him. Apparently this created some bad blood between Adams and the Packers. When they decided to match the Raiders offer he chose the Raiders instead. "

you call the reposts in accurate, then proceed to say exactly what was said in the article. so its either in accurate and false or its true. you tried to spin and live on both sides of the fence at the same time.

Flamma

Reaction score
probably. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case. but I don't put it all on Dak, although I have said it a 100 times, Dak wasn't good. but Moore's play calling was bad. and the OL played really bad. after denver teams really played us like denver played us and they had success. AZ was able to rush with 4, generate pressure and drop 7. SF did the same thing. KC the same. and Moore would abandon the run and go pass crazy and specially with those WR screen.

I don't think it's all Dak either. It's a team problem. It's been going on since 2019, when Moore took over as OC I believe. It's been a pattern for like the last 3 years.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
yes, exactly. again, taken out of context (given you accused me of it in your previous post). I have said it at least 15 times if not 20, there is a line that teams dont' cross on certain players and walk away. and its different for different teams. some teams think they can just put in another WR and their QB will be good. I gave you examples. Brady with edleman and welker. I gave you examples with GB and rodgers, from their own past. same players going somewhere else and not producing anywhere close. ....they did exactly that, replaced those WRs and they produced. some times they think that because of their QBs, not every team, but some teams, that have players like Rodgers, Mahomes, Brady. was that the line of thinking for KC? they defintley had a line they didn't want to cross, but their 120M offer is nothing small even in this day and age of NFL. again, could they not afford another 20M over the life of the contract if they wanted to? really, that's your entire basis of your meaningless argument? that KC couldn't afford 20M over the life of a 4, 5 year contract? really!!!! that's why they lost hill!!! really!!! that's what you are basing you entire argument on?

now, again, what does them thinking they can plug in another player and get same results has to do with them not being able to afford a player?....for the sake of argument lets say I am wrong and they can't just plug another player..

so why was Adams and Hill offered large contracts? their teams clearly valued them to offer a contract. certainly GB really valued Adams since they franchised him (generally a minimal occurance in NFL)....and they offered them large contracts. so your premise that if QB X signs for large dollars, the team can't afford any other players any more is wrong.....

go ahead and divert, not answer the question, spin, distract....this is what you have done and I haven't allowed you to and its bugging you that you just can't get away with your BS and your ego won't allow you to walk away or admit that perhaps you may have been wrong.

come on jerry, put your ego aside

Didn’t read a word of that. You must not have much going on today. :laugh:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Only read the first sentence and hit reply. You continue to divert. You’re wasting a lot of your time. This is day three and I’m not about to spend the entire weekend on this. Sorry to disappoint you.
talking about wasting time.....and like I said, your ego won't allow you to admit you were wrong. you want to argue to no end and never say it.....quite while you are behind. which is what you are saying you are going to do...

too funny.....

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
yeah, sure....you are starting to just divert, point fingers, make false accusations to drop out of the argument without having to admit you were wrong....your ego is getting the best of you and you need to just quit. right now. quite while you are behind. I told you several posts ago

No diverting from me I posted your quote that initiated this debate and you refuse to address it. If you don’t want to address your quote then move on.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who in the hell lets their back to back championship HC go cause his ego. Unbelievable.

No critic I’ve ever heard from doesn’t hold Jethro ultimately responsible. It’s his job to do whatever it takes to hold it together.

Can you provide any other example in NFL history where a GM or owner parted ways after championships because the owner or GM wanted more credit for the success . Bizarre but yet we continue to have a handful of homers who will defend our owner.
Jimmy didn't know his place, showed up the owner and got canned. Simple as that.

Flamma

Reaction score
thank you. that's what I said several times in the debate we have been having....that there is a line teams won't cross. that's it. its not a question of affordability. does Rodgers contract have an imapct. It would be stupid to say no. but to say because he signed a large contract thus they can't sign anybody else is a false premise. and based on reports, they did offer adams similar contract but he chose to move on, ala cowboys and cooper, they just wanted to move on from each other and it wasn't just a contract issue, given cowboys have 28M in cap space. and Cooper agreed to redo his contract and provide 15M in cap relief.....Jerry and Stephen just had it with cooper and in their mind they wanted to get rid of him.

Yeah, someone else mentioned that Cooper's cap hit on the Browns is lower than his Dead Cap on the Cowboys. That's true. But they'll pay eventually.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
talking about wasting time.....and like I said, your ego won't allow you to admit you were wrong. you want to argue to no end and never say it.....quite while you are behind. which is what you are saying you are going to do...

too funny.....

You claimed those teams felt they didn’t need those receivers because of their QBs. I posted your quote and you won’t address it. You were wrong and it was proven!