CFZ Signing Hopkins doesn't really make a lot of sense

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Signing Hopkins makes Gallup surplus unless there’s a long term injury. I think Gallup deserves a chance to make an impact this season.
Agreed and think Gallup will be the better player tbh. Not Hopkins of old, but a year away from ACL he should be ripe for a good season and be a great #3 and a good #2.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Yeah but certain positions should take priority.
Wide Receiver should be priority 1.

Your #4 WR is far more valuable than a backup G, LB or RB, especially if it can be a player of DHop's calibre. You're not getting a FA depth piece right now who gives you much more than what you have anyway.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Wide Receiver should be priority 1.

Your #4 WR is far more valuable than a backup G, LB or RB, especially if it can be a player of DHop's calibre. You're not getting a FA depth piece right now who gives you much more than what you have anyway.
I’m not looking for depth I’m looking for a starter for when Tyron gets hurt….Gallup, Lamb and Cooks should be enough. If it ain’t we either have issues with Dak or the playbook or both

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I’m not looking for depth I’m looking for a starter for when Tyron gets hurt….Gallup, Lamb and Cooks should be enough. If it ain’t we either have issues with Dak or the playbook or both
A starter when someone gets hurt is...depth. Assuming Tyler kicks out if/when Tyron goes down, you're not going to sign a street FA better than Edoga or Farniok.

It's not as if the receivers are never going to get hurt. The #4 is going to see significant snaps in 11 personnel.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
You’re absolutely right. To say nothing of the impact his salary demands would have on our current and future cap situation.

But that’s a reality some would rather not see.

Additionally, I understand that the FO is trying to work on an extension for Diggs. Plus, they still need to get the Lamb deal done soon, and Parsons is going to want extending starting next season. So, signing Hopkins would be counterproductive to these goals.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Additionally, I understand that the FO is trying to work on an extension for Diggs. Plus, they still need to get the Lamb deal done soon, and Parsons is going to want extending starting next season. So, signing Hopkins would be counterproductive to these goals.
Something would have to give. They simply wouldn’t be able to keep everyone.

But I’m content with the fact that they traded for Cooks to upgrade their #2 receiver position. They added speed, reliability, and a good locker room guy. Three things you can’t say about Hopkins right now.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Something would have to give. They simply wouldn’t be able to keep everyone.

But I’m content with the fact that they traded for Cooks to upgrade their #2 receiver position. They added speed, reliability, and a good locker room guy. Three things you can’t say about Hopkins right now.

Not to mention how cheaply they got Cooks. Plus, I heard on Mark Holmes' channel this morning that the FO and coaches seem to like what they see with Cooks. He made an excellent point that the fact that we're not going after Hopkins is a sign that they like what Cooks brings to the table. If they were bringing in Hopkins for workouts and such, wouldn't that be an indictment against Cooks?

The only way Hopkins makes any sense is if we were to then trade away a WR, and the only possibilities, imo, are Lamb (likely a nonstarter on a trade deal, unless it's for several firsts) or Gallup. I don't think either are getting traded, and Lamb is a longer term solution than Hopkins. So, why would the Cowboys pee away money for Hopkins when we need the cap space for at least 3 big extensions?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
A starter when someone gets hurt is...depth. Assuming Tyler kicks out if/when Tyron goes down, you're not going to sign a street FA better than Edoga or Farniok.

It's not as if the receivers are never going to get hurt. The #4 is going to see significant snaps in 11 personnel.
Ok I guess I just expect Tyron to get hurt and misss most of the season.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
It probably doesn't make sense because they need money to sign Diggs, Lamb, Parsons, and Dak.
Why do people keep saying Parsons? He's under his rookie deal for 3 more seasons lol. With the tag, he probably won't get an extension that starts until 2027.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Last week you told me he wasn't going to get OBJ money ;)

Obviously, the money is a question as to whether they can do it. But Hopkins makes sense as far as roster construction.
That’s exactly what I said. However, according to reports he’s looking for OBJ money. That doesn’t mean he’s going to get it. Hopkins doesn’t make a lot of sense with the Cowboys, which is why Jerry said adding him is unlikely. They traded Amari Cooper because of money. Jerry admitted that in a radio interview. CeeDee will soon be up for a big contract. The Cowboys traded for Brandin Cooks who will be making $8 million per. They just signed Gallop last year. If they were to sign Hopkins to a big deal, they would end up with a high priced receiver as their fourth receiver. Someone in that bunch would end up the fourth receiver and they would be over paid. The Cowboys would then have to move on from Jalen Tolbert, because he’s not going to be given a chance. They don’t want to move on from a third round pick after only one season. Like I said adding Hopkins doesn’t make a lot of sense.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
That’s exactly what I said. However, according to reports he’s looking for OBJ money. That doesn’t mean he’s going to get it. Hopkins doesn’t make a lot of sense with the Cowboys. They traded Amari Cooper because of money. Jerry admitted that in a radio interview. CeeDee will soon be up for a big contract. The Cowboys traded for Brandin Cooks who will be making $8 million per. They just signed Gallop last year. If they were to sign Hopkins to a big deal, they would end up with a high priced receiver as their fourth receiver. Someone in that bunch would end up the fourth receiver and they would be over paid. The Cowboys would then have to move on from Jalen Tolbert, because he’s not going to be given a chance. They don’t want to move on from a third round pick after only one season. Like I said adding Hopkins doesn’t make a lot of sense.
I'm just sayign that from a roster perspective Hopkins makes sense.

Who knows how the money goes.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I'm just sayign that from a roster perspective Hopkins makes sense.

Who knows how the money goes.
How does it make sense if you have CeeDee, Cooks and Gallop? Who’s going to be your fourth receiver? Whoever it is, is going to be overpaid. With a salary cap, you can’t just put a lot of money in receivers, especially with CeeDee’s contract coming up.

Last edited:

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Why do people keep saying Parsons? He's under his rookie deal for 3 more seasons lol. With the tag, he probably won't get an extension that starts until 2027.

Because, technically, the Cowboys can extend his contract next year as next year is the first year that he's eligible for this. The sooner they get his contract extended, the cheaper it'll be for the team.

CWR

Reaction score
Agreed. Why would we want to break the 28 year streak? Let’s keep that bad boy going

I'm all for signing him, but by no means does the signing equal a championship. It's just adding strength to strength.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
How does it make sense if you have CeeDee, Cooks and Gallop? Who’s going to be your fourth receiver? Whoever it is is going to be overpaid. With a salary cap, you can’t just put a lot of money in receivers, especially with CeeDee’s contract coming up.

That and we probably will want to extend Cooks' deal if he plays well.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Because, technically, the Cowboys can extend his contract next year as next year is the first year that he's eligible for this. The sooner they get his contract extended, the cheaper it'll be for the team.
Technically sure, but he's not going to sign so there's really no point in talking about it.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I'm all for signing him, but by no means does the signing equal a championship. It's just adding strength to strength.

Exactly, and, with some areas of the team that will need contracts, then I'm not so sure that he makes a lot of sense. Not to mention the fact we already have 3 solid WRs and some younger WRs (including prospects like Moreno-Cropper) who need every rep they can get. Hopkins would be fun, but does he really move the needle for our offense? Not to mention what we have at TE.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
How does it make sense if you have CeeDee, Cooks and Gallop? Who’s going to be your fourth receiver? Whoever it is is going to be overpaid. With a salary cap, you can’t just put a lot of money in receivers, especially with CeeDee’s contract coming up.
It makes sense because the chances of all 3 WRs being avialable for 17 games is slim to zero. They have 20-something million in space, they can afford to overpay for depth right now. You don't have to give Hopkins a 4 year deal.

I don't get your point. You're saying that Hopkins isn't going to get big money and also that you can't afford him?