CFZ Signing Hopkins doesn't really make a lot of sense

CWR

Reaction score
It makes sense because the chances of all 3 WRs being avialable for 17 games is slim to zero. They have 20-something million in space, they can afford to overpay for depth right now. You don't have to give Hopkins a 4 year deal.

I don't get your point. You're saying that Hopkins isn't going to get big money and also that you can't afford him?

Yeah, it depends heavily on what type of money he commands. Ultimately I think he will get a nice chunk of someone's cap.

I'm not sure why the Chiefs haven't had him in. That is a great fit. I'm guessing they don't want to pay up.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Technically sure, but he's not going to sign so there's really no point in talking about it.

Perhaps, but they'll want to try and at least start talks. Still, even if they don't extend Parsons next year, we still need to get the Diggs and Lamb deals done. Maybe they get Hopkins, but the fact that he's been on the market as long as he has says a lot. Especially considering that he was, at one point, linked with the Chiefs and Bills. The Bills just made it clear that they don't want him, and their WR situation isn't very good imo, says a lot. Additionally, McCarthy made it clear he's excited about the WR room (https://www.d210.tv/2023/06/01/88mike-mccarthy-is-excited-for-his-wide-receiver-room/). So, I'm not sure they will sign him anyway. I suppose if they get Diggs and Lamb done, then maybe we see action? But I think they might be more inclined to go with oline or RB.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Yeah, it depends heavily on what type of money he commands. Ultimately I think he will get a nice chunk of someone's cap.

I'm not sure why the Chiefs haven't had him in. That is a great fit. I'm guessing they don't want to pay up.
Maybe they and the Bills don't think he's good enough for them? The fit might look good on paper, but they may just simply not have a desire to sign him.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Perhaps, but they'll want to try and at least start talks. Still, even if they don't extend Parsons next year, we still need to get the Diggs and Lamb deals done. Maybe they get Hopkins, but the fact that he's been on the market as long as he has says a lot. Especially considering that he was, at one point, linked with the Chiefs and Bills. The Bills just made it clear that they don't want him, and their WR situation isn't very good imo, says a lot. Additionally, McCarthy made it clear he's excited about the WR room (https://www.d210.tv/2023/06/01/88mike-mccarthy-is-excited-for-his-wide-receiver-room/). So, I'm not sure they will sign him anyway. I suppose if they get Diggs and Lamb done, then maybe we see action? But I think they might be more inclined to go with oline or RB.
Those talks end quickly lol. Micah would be stupid to sign anything that early.

Nobody has said they don't want him - if the agent said "the price is X" and teams don't have the budget, so be it. That doesn't mean they don't want the player.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score

I think that what ends up happening is he goes to a fringe playoff team with a ton of cap space who is willing to overspend - DET, CAR, CHI, IND all make a ton of sense to me.

I don't really buy that Hopkins would chase a ring for a discount.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It makes sense because the chances of all 3 WRs being avialable for 17 games is slim to zero. They have 20-something million in space, they can afford to overpay for depth right now. You don't have to give Hopkins a 4 year deal.

I don't get your point. You're saying that Hopkins isn't going to get big money and also that you can't afford him?
You can’t be using a lot of cap space on WRs with the contracts we have coming up, They just signed a receiver and they’re trying out another one to increase their depth. You can’t have a high priced receiver on the sidelines as your fourth receiver as insurance. If you don’t get my point then you’re following the wrong sport. Not only do the Cowboys have CeeDee’s extension to worry about but Diggs is looking to get paid soon. I said Hopkins isn’t going to get 15 million per season. That’s what I said! Hopkins is probably looking for a multiyear deal where you’re going to have to commit to him for a couple of seasons and that would affect our cap past this season. There’s other teams that have bigger needs at WR than the Cowboys that are likely to meet or come close to his demands.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Those talks end quickly lol. Micah would be stupid to sign anything that early.

Nobody has said they don't want him - if the agent said "the price is X" and teams don't have the budget, so be it. That doesn't mean they don't want the player.

Sure, I just think it's telling. But, I suppose if Hopkins lowered his demands for a one year deal, he might get something.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
You can’t be using a lot of cap space on WRs with the contracts we have coming up,
Yes you can. Invest in the passing offense and let everything else take the back seat.

I'd say the same about Cinci and Higgins.

Nothing matters if you can't throw the football.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Sure, I just think it's telling. But, I suppose if Hopkins lowered his demands for a one year deal, he might get something.
I also think the relentless news cycle makes it feel like he's been a free agent for a much longer time than he actually has lol. It's been, what, 6 days?

He's not in any rush.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yes you can. Invest in the passing offense and let everything else take the back seat.

I'd say the same about Cinci and Higgins.

Nothing matters if you can't throw the football.
You don’t know what you’re talking about. You sound like a typical casual fan.

CWR

Reaction score
I think that what ends up happening is he goes to a fringe playoff team with a ton of cap space who is willing to overspend - DET, CAR, CHI, IND all make a ton of sense to me.

I don't really buy that Hopkins would chase a ring for a discount.

Agreed, they almost never take a discount. That's all talk.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
That and we probably will want to extend Cooks' deal if he plays well.
It’s possible they could extend Cooks if he plays well, but the Cowboys or more concerned about CeeDee’s and Diggs contracts. They’re going to need plenty of cap space to re-sign those players.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
It’s possible they could extend Cooks if he plays well, but the Cowboys or more concerned about CeeDee’s and Diggs contracts. They’re going to need plenty of cap space to re-sign those players.

Exactly, but if they get those done, I think some players like Lewan or Risner would be good signings to make. At least they'd fill a bigger need than Hopkins would imo.

Flamma

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong. It would certainly be fun to have Hopkins in the lineup. However, firstly, let's be careful this doesn't turn into a Earl Thomas situation. Also, let's look at what I predict will be our receiving /te group to start the season on the 30, and then see where we need help.

WR: Lamb, Cooks, Gallup, Tolbert, Moreno-Cropper, and Turpin

TE: Ferguson, Schoonmacher, Hendershot, and Bell.

I suppose I could see him making a nice 4 WR option, but I'm also keen to see Tolbert in camp. Remember, he was at a small school, so it can take a bit for a small school player to become accustomed to NFL speed. I think we at least should have 3 top WRs, and a nice TE group. Let's look at areas needing help:

Kicker: this is an area that is scary atm.
RB: probably could use a bit more competition.
Oline: could use more depth

I think it'd be fun if we were to get Hopkins, but i think we have at least 3 positions that need help beyond WR. I am concerned that Hopkins could be another Earl Thomas situation.
I agree. At this stage in his career, I don't think he'd be a difference maker. It's not about the money if it's a one year deal. Got space, use it. The drawback, that's less money that can be rolled over to next year's cap.

IMO DHop is another OBJ. Looking for a final payday. Not going to be the reason for any success.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
You don’t know what you’re talking about. You sound like a typical casual fan.
lol, go look at the best teams of the last 5 years. Priority #1 is throwing the football.

Passing offense, 4-man passrush. If you don't have those two units, you can't consistently contend.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I agree. At this stage in his career, I don't think he'd be a difference maker. It's not about the money if it's a one year deal. Got space, use it. The drawback, that's less money that can be rolled over to next year's cap.

IMO DHop is another OBJ. Looking for a final payday. Not going to be the reason for any success.

Yup, instead, I have another thread with players who would make sense to sign. Suffice to say, there are some quality olinemen that we can get. Instead of Hopkins, it makes more sense to me to sign Risner and Lewan than Hopkins. I think we could get both for cheaper than what Hopkins wants, and I think we need the oline depth more than we need WR depth.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
lol, go look at the best teams of the last 5 years. Priority #1 is throwing the football.

Passing offense, 4-man passrush. If you don't have those two units, you can't consistently contend.

That's great and all, but I think a smarter investment would be signing some oline depth. We all know how this offense looks when Tyron goes down, and Steele might not be ready for TC (https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/pla...g-camp-health-status-dallas-tyron-smith-tyler). I don't trust Ball to step in. So, I think signing Risner and Lewan makes more sense than Hopkins. Risner allows us to plug the LG spot while Steele rehabs. When Tyron goes down, Lewan could step in and fill the void. We typically have great starters, but depth is where we struggle. Signing these two would allow us to have quality depth, and it means that Dak would likely not skip a beat if Tyron goes down and if Steele is injured for longer than we expect.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Yup, instead, I have another thread with players who would make sense to sign. Suffice to say, there are some quality olinemen that we can get. Instead of Hopkins, it makes more sense to me to sign Risner and Lewan than Hopkins. I think we could get both for cheaper than what Hopkins wants, and I think we need the oline depth more than we need WR depth.
Risner and Lewan both stink. Lewan has only even played 20 games in the last 3 years.

People are badly overthinking this.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Risner and Lewan both stink. Lewan has only even played 20 games in the last 3 years.

People are badly overthinking this.

Firstly, I'm not saying as starters. I said as depth. I think having better depth on the oline is important. I highly doubt Lewan is worse than Josh Ball. As for Risner, I thought he was one of the brighter spots of the Broncos oline. Their oline overall was bad, but I liked what I saw with Risner. Again, I get that Hopkins would be fun, but, like I said, we typically lack in depth in several areas, and oline is usually one such area.