Signs of Kellen Moore within Dak's throwing game

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I'm seeing it finally this training camp. Dak throwing the ball before the receiver makes his break and hitting them in stride. Finally!

For the longest time, it was painful watching Dak place the ball where you knew the receiver was going to get immediately hit or watching receiver have to reach or contort their bodies awkwardly to catch the ball.

Go watch Kellen's QB play at Boise State. You'll find countless times when the ball is launched and there is no receiver in sight on the camera until the last second the ball is placed perfectly.

Finally seeing Dak do some of that stuff and hoping it carries into the season!!

LOL..................then you havent been watching. Dak has been doing it for years. Definitely was doing it in high school and college too.

Hilarious the lengths to which you trolls will go to discredit our QB.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can't wait for the real season to begin. I am investing in :popcorn:.

Then we can see the progress of Dak with the WR group and watch them improve as the season goes along. It will be in flux of change the first 4 to 6 weeks. Depending how long before Gallup and Washington return.
I do believe Dak will be just fine with the current healthy WR's, right from the start. Then will get better as the season progresses.

basel90

Reaction score
I'm seeing it finally this training camp. Dak throwing the ball before the receiver makes his break and hitting them in stride. Finally!

For the longest time, it was painful watching Dak place the ball where you knew the receiver was going to get immediately hit or watching receiver have to reach or contort their bodies awkwardly to catch the ball.

Go watch Kellen's QB play at Boise State. You'll find countless times when the ball is launched and there is no receiver in sight on the camera until the last second the ball is placed perfectly.

Finally seeing Dak do some of that stuff and hoping it carries into the season!!
Dak still learning on the job after 6 years and 250 million invested , and 6 seasons without a CCG . this is the way jerry rolls ,.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Steve Young once said it takes a QB about 3 years to get settled into the west coast offense. McCarthy coached teams run... the west coast offense. So what you are seeing is McCarthy's influence on this offense.

The old Garrett system had a lot of option routes. In that type of system the QB has to stare down a receiver and anticipate what he's going to do. That's why posters on here who don't know jack crap would say Dak can't read a defense. In the west coast the QB has to read the defense then throw the ball to the open whole in the defense. No more staring a player down. The old system basically had one primary receiver and one outlet. The new system has no primary receivers and one outlet.

But like I always tell people your offensive concept is going to have other offensive concepts weaved into it. The real difference is in how often you call certain plays. So, basically Dak has to get used to all of the new play calls, and the timing associated with those plays.

How do you lead the NFL in scoring and offense if you dont have good timing?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
1st dak has always thrown AT WR, he rarely leads them or throws to a spot they can run to.
He may be doing it in practice, but in real game I would have to see it to believe it, and him be consistent with it.

Kellens offense has compiled good stats against weaker teams, but there are a lot of flaws in the offense, so when they play
a good team they struggle.
What are the flaws?

1.pass and run blocking schemes have serious flaws, which often make the players look bad, but it is the schemes.

2.predictability and tells.
I would say 90% of the time I can call pass or run especially, and be right, and I am just a guy, not a high paid DC lol.
Warner pointed out 1 play kellen would call last year that had no other options, if they ran it the defense can make a simple read on
What RB does, and know just how to defend it.
That is going to hurt a team when playing a good team. So kellen hurts his offense by not seeing the tells and being so predictable.

3.penaltys, which sometimes is due to bad blocking schemes, and I dont just see it with dallas, in the denver PS game,
Denver ran a play where they chose to not block the DE on the side they were running to !! lol tv guys said he was supposed to read something
and move inside, but he stayed in his lane and was unblocked, so he easily tackled the rb for 5 yd loss.
The guy who could have blocked that DE went downfield to make block so runner could make a long run, which is never going to happen
if RB cant get to LOS !
Bottom line is OC's come up with some really stupid blocking schemes that 95% of time are just not going to work,
they are going to hurt the team on that play.

4. poor use of personnel.
1 word pollard and some other guys who arent stars or paid big money.
the way I see it, if someone is hot use them more, dont go by pay or status. This might vary from game to game with matchups , exploit matchups !

5.Run game, kellen is totally lost here, doesnt know when to run or how much, and then has the poor blocking schemes. most of the fault
will be on the OC if a team cant run good.

phildadon86

Reaction score
1st dak has always thrown AT WR, he rarely leads them or throws to a spot they can run to.
He may be doing it in practice, but in real game I would have to see it to believe it, and him be consistent with it.

Kellens offense has compiled good stats against weaker teams, but there are a lot of flaws in the offense, so when they play
What are the flaws?

1.pass and run blocking schemes have serious flaws, which often make the players look bad, but it is the schemes.

I would say 90% of the time I can call pass or run especially, and be right, and I am just a guy, not a high paid DC lol.
Warner pointed out 1 play kellen would call last year that had no other options, if they ran it the defense can make a simple read on
That is going to hurt a team when playing a good team. So kellen hurts his offense by not seeing the tells and being so predictable.

3.penaltys, which sometimes is due to bad blocking schemes, and I dont just see it with dallas, in the denver PS game,
Denver ran a play where they chose to not block the DE on the side they were running to !! lol tv guys said he was supposed to read something
and move inside, but he stayed in his lane and was unblocked, so he easily tackled the rb for 5 yd loss.
The guy who could have blocked that DE went downfield to make block so runner could make a long run, which is never going to happen
if RB cant get to LOS !
Bottom line is OC's come up with some really stupid blocking schemes that 95% of time are just not going to work,

the way I see it, if someone is hot use them more, dont go by pay or status. This might vary from game to game with matchups , exploit matchups !

5.Run game, kellen is totally lost here, doesnt know when to run or how much, and then has the poor blocking schemes. most of the fault

Go watch the Giants game last season on the TD to Lamb. That is just one of hundreds of examples of him leading the receiver.

I didnt bother reading the rest of your post because after the "see it to believe it" comment I assume you only see what you want to see.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the start of this year will be very telling...with two of Dak's top receiving threats out...and a play maker gone (wilson).

If Dak can "make" these other guys...he HAS to get the credit. If not he'll deserve SOME of the blame.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I think the start of this year will be very telling...with two of Dak's top receiving threats out...and a play maker gone (wilson).

If Dak can "make" these other guys...he HAS to get the credit. If not he'll deserve SOME of the blame.
Didnt he do that in the Raiders game with Cooper and Lamb out? I mean I know they lost but he was slinging all over the place (missed the most critical throw of the game) but he was lights out that penalty fest I mean football game.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
most of that comes in games against weaker teams, like the nfc east teams etc. Also in games where dallas falls behind, and other team lets up
late in game, just playing prevent, and dallas will move down the field.

But they had a couple games last year where they played = to the opponent, the TB, Chargers,Oakland games, they looked good in those games.
But they lost to all the other good teams. Bad starts, and often scoring most points late in game.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Didnt he do that in the Raiders game with Cooper and Lamb out? I mean I know they lost but he was slinging all over the place (missed the most critical throw of the game) but he was lights out that penalty fest I mean football game.
Oh man...don't bring up the raiders game. I have PTSD on that last pass! :p

Can;t say I can answer your question about that game...but Dak does need to step up with a new crew. We'll never hear the end of it if not. :(

nalam

The realist
Reaction score

……season!!

If what you are saying is happening and continue to happen when Dak is pressured and hit , finally we will be seeing the maturity of a decent QB. He has to have the mental strength to adhere these practices under pressure and shouldn’t lose the mechanics.

Thanks for spotting that and informing , appreciate.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Oh man...don't bring up the raiders game. I have PTSD on that last pass! :p

Can;t say I can answer your question about that game...but Dak does need to step up with a new crew. We'll never hear the end of it if not. :(
I am good with that.

That is why I dont like him saying things like "im not worried" about the WR corps. Because now if he falls on his face, the media will destroy him. Not the Dallas media of course because they are all scared of losing their credentials, but the national media will crucify him.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
most of that comes in games against weaker teams, like the nfc east teams etc. Also in games where dallas falls behind, and other team lets up
late in game, just playing prevent, and dallas will move down the field.

But they had a couple games last year where they played = to the opponent, the TB, Chargers,Oakland games, they looked good in those games.
But they lost to all the other good teams. Bad starts, and often scoring most points late in game.
I'd really like to see a break out of stats on this statement. Dak against our division, Dak againt non-division. Dak againts good/bad records.

I thought he played very well against Tampa last year....coming off an injury. Raiders game....not so much? Yes...one pass made that a "bad game" for me! I admit it!

basel90

Reaction score

What are the flaws?

if RB cant get to LOS !

kellen is another Jerry project .invested heavily in him . he was green when he was hired and jerry thought he will be the next wiz offensive kid and future coach a la Sean McVay. Kellen will get better but is overwhelmed with politics and accommodating egos at the FO and among players. McCarthy had to accept Kellen and had no choice as well. A typical jerry strategy , hire yes coaches, tell them what to do , and have them take the fall.
Kellen inherited dak and is being judged with what dak can or cannot do. Dak is not used to throwing to receivers unless they are open, this is why he checks down to his buddy zeke a lot. He can alwasy say the receivers are not open. He has a guaranteed contract and is untouchable.
if the offense fails , MM will be blamed and Kellen may also get some , especially if a new coach comes in and brings his own OC.