Since the number of Stupid Articles has

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
increased in a big way over the last 2 weeks, maybe we should have a contest about choosing the dumbest article out there. What do you guys think?

Why?

Randy Galloway would win.

Well, the Engel's are doing their best to provide competition.

Rich......

mwmilsted

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
increased in a big way over the last 2 weeks, maybe we should have a contest about choosing the dumbest article out there. What do you guys think?
Finally, someone else has brought this very needed issue to the front.
It's time to move all of the speculative posts (like select the final 53 man roster, or who's going to have an impact year, etc) preferably to the garbage
can or at least to a folder down at the bottom of the list!!!!

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
iceberg said:
heh - if people would take it as fun it could be. i just think someone would get hurt along the way and start bashing. i'd probably be nominated for most negative, but i have a feeling eddie would sneak away with my award!

that bastage!! : )
Iceberg I don't want to burst your bubble but you can't possibly be the most negative poster here. I have not yet even considered putting you on my ignore list and my list consist of only excessively negative posters...well there is one who is just a really big ******* and not so much negative...but mostly it is just people who not only think the glass is half empty, they don't even see any water in the glass...like Eddie :D

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Our team is SO much better then it was in 2003 that I have a hard time even reading those kind of pessimistic downer posts. Long term- that is pretty hard to do anymore with the cap and FA. Franchise- well if you do not like how it is run take a hike- what are you going to do about it? You are setting yourself up for a sad life if you keep it up.

really? isn't 2003 the last time we went to the playoffs?

long term hard to do? sure it is. *winning* in any circumstance is hard to do. new england did it. it *can* be done.

take a hike? would you?

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
JackMagist said:
Iceberg I don't want to burst your bubble but you can't possibly be the most negative poster here. I have not yet even considered putting you on my ignore list and my list consist of only excessively negative posters...well there is one who is just a really big ******* and not so much negative...but mostly it is just people who not only think the glass is half empty, they don't even see any water in the glass...like Eddie :D

figures - now i won't even get nominated for that. : )

burmafrd

Reaction score
I happen to think that you are a real contender for most negative poster, Ice. Don't feel too bad.

burmafrd

Reaction score
One can curse the wind and the rain but there is nothing you can do about it, so why do it. That is why criticsing JJ for the way he runs the franchise is a useless exercise.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
One can curse the wind and the rain but there is nothing you can do about it, so why do it. That is why criticsing JJ for the way he runs the franchise is a useless exercise.

and you can praise the lighting as it strikes you down and what can you do about it?

that's why praising their every move and giving it the thumbs up blessing is a useless exercise.

but at least i've got a chance back at the mr. negative award!!!

Funxva

Inventor of the Whizzinator
Reaction score
I would like to nominate myself and 5Stars for the "Deadskins Hater" Award.

Who's the Giants Hater

Eagles Hater?

Best Rival Poster? (PhoenixTalon, I think)

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
iceberg said:
it's quite possible it's done out of "passion" for the team itself and that's easy to overlook cause it's a negative message.

i love this franchise. notice i say franchise and not team cause this current rendition of a "team" to me is nothing more than hired hands (to a point, coach included) and not a "team" in the sense i've come to know and love our cowboys to be.
Fair enough...I'm pretty much the same way as far as loving the franchise more than the team...per se.

i don't like the approach we're on, never have, and it makes no "logical" sense to me. it makes even less sense that people can so easily say "in bill i trust" (or ireland now) and that alone should relegate our own opinions worthless. why? cause we're not the coach? talent evaluator? those come and go EVERY FREAKING YEAR in this business and there's so much more to all of this than 1 man "calling the shots"

so i get negative because what i love so much and have put so much of my time, effort and pride into is now a royal mess (to me) and i can't simply yell "Go Cowboys!" and look away. i can't "cheer on TO" and forget all the hate simply because he's now a cowboy.
I'm not one of the ones saying "in Bill We Trust" because I only trust him so far. I think he is a great team builder and talent evaluator at least for talent that fits *his* systems. But he is a lousy game planner and a lousy gameday coach. I have said this many times and have caught flack from some of the homers about it too. So far Ireland has done so much better job than Lacewell ever did that I'm giving him every benefit of a doubt for now...we'll see in a couple of years.

I don't see the Royal Mess that you allude to at the moment. I saw it last year and I still see it to some extent with the weakness of the O-line but even that is in better shape than last year at this time. Beyond that the defense I see as just getting stronger and stronger and this is only our second year in this system.

I'm not any happier about the TO situation than you are but I do believe that we can get one good year out of him so we might as well take it. This is nothing new though, I didn't like Sanders and some of the other hire gun types that Jerry has brought in over the years.

sometimes you let yourself get so wrapped up in a team and your facination for it you forget it *is* a game. it *is* entertainment. nothing more nothing less. business? sure. but it's an entertainment business.

we wear our team colors cause we *want* to be affiliated with a winner. but when that team isn't winning and makes some very strange moves - what do you do? cheer 'em on anyway or voice your opinions?

the negative ones are probably more vocal, that's pretty normal. look at politics as an example (moving along now woodysgirl!) and many other ares. negativity gets attention, right or wrong.
True enough it is only entertainment but it is an entertainment that we (the fans) get passionate about. If you have negative opinions about the team it is fair to voice them. But to voice ONLY negativity at every turn is the opposite side of the homer coin ans is just as unrealistic. The truth lies somewhere in the middle of almost every issue be it politics or football.

BTW I wear the teams colors because I want to be affiliated with the team. In 1989 I was about the only person on the street in San Antonio Texas (a Cowboys town) wearing a Cowboys jersey and I was taking flack for it at every turn. Two years later those same people were all sporting brand new Cowboys appearal...go figure.

but in this case i know my own negativity is simply because my mind can't put the pieces together to formulate a "long term" plan (i miss those) and what i see short term i don't feel will add up to winning (so far not even the playoffs have been sniffed since bill started building bills team) so it hurts to see this as "wasted time" cause to me, it is.

we won't win, we'll have to "start over" with a long term plan sooner or later and i'd rather do it now than try this shotgun approach.
The funny thing is that this is the first time in a long time that I CAN see a long term plan. Certainly Parcells is a short term piece of the puzzle...3 more years tops...probably less. But if you look at the defensive team he has built hardly anyone is over 30...Ferguson and Ellis are about it. And only three of our starters (Henry, Ferguson and Ayodele) come in via FA so they are home grown for the most part...not hired guns. So if management can keep these guys around with decent contracts this defense should be together for a long time.

The Offense I am less optomistic about and there are most of your hire gun types, Owens, Bledsoe. Kosier, Rivera, Fabini and Glenn. I hope we start drafting offense next year to start replacing these guys. But in this day and age you don't have time to build the entire team via the draft and to get competitive you have to use what is available...Free Agents.

However, I also see a long term plan finally developing on offense as well. We have not heretofore been committed to an offensive system and our approach has been hap-hazard. This year we seem to have a definite plan with the two TE offense and I can see us "planning" on going forward with that philosophy into the forseeable future.

All of this makes it necessary that Bill's replacement be a guy who will use these systems. But that is not such a big deal since plenty of qualified coaches come from the "Parcells Tree" and should be able to step in and keep going in the same direction. Another reason that I believe that we are developing our next HC in house.

And you say "We Won't Win"...if you call yourself a fan of the team you need to have a basis for such a statement. To just throw it out there with no supporting viewpoint or reasoning is simply negativity for the sake of negativity and I don't see where you can consider it negativity out of love for the team (franchise...whatever).

so its hard to see the positives when the negatives are so in the spotlight to me.
Sometimes you have to step back and take a more objective look at things to see past either the positives OR the negatives. As I said the truth usually lies somewhere in the middle.

i'd have to think many of us negative fans are negative for the very same reasons, not that we wanna go piss someone off.
I think you are give them way too much credit. I do believe that you are being what you consider realistic, but a lot of these other guys...They just want to piss people off to get a rise out of them.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
very good and valid respones and counter points - thanks for the "good" discussion on it.

and yea, i wore jerseys and hats when they were 1-15. maybe even moreso then cause they needed fans at the time.

you're also right about seeing only the negative as not being fair. i'm working on it - just not easy. : )

Eddie

Reaction score
Can you imagine being a Skins fan, and rooting for a team that has like 3 or 4 drafted starters?

I don't understand why we try to compare ourselves to the Commanders (or Bengals for that matter).

Why not compare ourselves to the Patriots or some other recent Super Bowl team?

Misery loves company ... and there's always the ******** kid to pick on.

superpunk

Reaction score
Eddie said:
I don't understand why we try to compare ourselves to the Commanders (or Bengals for that matter).

Why not compare ourselves to the Patriots or some other recent Super Bowl team?

Misery loves company ... and there's always the ******** kid to pick on.

Wow....talk about out of context, and not even reading and comprehending what I was talking about.....

burmafrd

Reaction score
Worst thing about eating vegetables is what to do with the wheelchair.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
these are the kinds of jokes you laugh at and hope the lightning misses you... : )

burmafrd

Reaction score
why has 69 become 96? because the cost of eating out has gone up.